Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I could really use some help. I got new tires and I am trying to take the wheels off myself. I can't seem to figure out what is holding the dang muffler on. I have looked and there are some others that have asked but there are no pictures or videos that are helpful. If anyone can help me figure out what I am missing I would greatly appreciate it.

I got these two bolts (one from the top one from the bottom) out

And I took these two our from the bracket that holds them in place.

I have undone a few others but nothing seems to make it budge. What am I missing???

·
Registered
415 Posts
The one each clamp muffler to header only needed to be loosened...not completely removed.

Then the 2 bolts to the rear bracket removed like your picture shows.

Then, it is a matter of jiggle ever so lightly as you pull STRAIGHT back little bit at a time.

The pipes don't separate at the same time...keep pulling straight back maybe an extra 1 inch maybe until the second pipe clears.

When reassembly I used some hi temp anti seize for lubrication around the 2 round gaskets.

Note.. the gaskets are different sizes.

If never been separate before it might require extra patience and strength pulling them apart...little at a time.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It gives me a couple of ideas. I've been working in the cold so maybe that's getting in the way? I tried to tap the muffler with a rubber mallet to help it go but nothing budged....ill keep at it I guess, but just knowing that its only those bolts that I've already removed helps me at least know I'm getting there.

·
Registered
415 Posts
HMM..

Maybe heating the pipes up might help (by running the motor for a few minutes) could help with the separation.

It's a very tight wiggle , a little at a time horizontal, then vertical.. very little at a time, take a marker pen at the connection and you will see if you are making progress.

Let us know how it goes, thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
ALSO.. ?

How many miles did end up with on the OEM Metzelers ?

And which tires did you buy and how much $ ?

Also, I highly recommend taking your tire change out to a shop with a machine. Unless you have lots of experience, big tire irons and an air compressor.

·
Registered
415 Posts
An oil filter band wrench can help you twist the loose part of the muffler to get it off. Just be careful not to scratch it
The OEM muffler is 1 piece to the 2 headers . The connection to the headers are not separate. That is why you have to carefully jiggle it straight out.

Otherwise your idea is good !

Waiting to find out what happened ???

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Might be easier to take the whole exhaust off then you can wiggle the header pipes off with plenty of working room.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Might be easier to take the whole exhaust off then you can wiggle the header pipes off with plenty of working room.
Yes, as a last resort.

I have taken the muffler off numerous times for tire changes and maintenance.

Never have removed headers, but it looks like it would be difficult realignment to head with gaskets and concerns of exhaust leaks and narrow access.

But if he can't just separate at the connection that is what he will have to do.

But as I remember the 1st time separating it was very subtle movement. I wasn't sure I was making progress until I marked it and was able to see the marks move.

I hope he lets us know how it went.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts