Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. After all my mods, I finally decided to get rid of those awful reflectors. I thought it would be very easy as I have done it a hundred times! Well, I heated them up and peeled them off, removed the glue and all looked good on the left side. :)

BUT ON THE RIGHT SIDE, the reflector took what appears to be paint off. I was puzzled. I didn't think the forks were painted but just turned. Now I have two big dull spots. :(:(:(

Anyone know how to fix this ????

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I just did mine today and had no problems. I am no painter but they don't seem painted to me. I even used a plastic scraper to help with the glue.
Then again, the matte silver bikes are a little better.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The forks have a 'brushed' finish. That finish came off! Now where the reflector was stuck on it is smooth and dark!

Does anyone think that the reflector took off a top layer of the metal??????

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol another matt silver plug :) Painter try some of the polish like for aluminum, before my forks were chromed we flat out ripped those off and had no problem. I did have to polish it after cleaning leftover adhesive
Already polished and it just made it more apparent! This sucks. :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oxidation?:confused:
NO. Forks were perfect. I don't see a clear coat but there may be. It's beyond the clear if it is coated.

Raining like buckets here now. I'll try to get to the shop tomorrow with my camera and take some pics. Maybe that will help. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
NO. Forks were perfect. I don't see a clear coat but there may be. It's beyond the clear if it is coated.

Raining like buckets here now. I'll try to get to the shop tomorrow with my camera and take some pics. Maybe that will help. :rolleyes:
3 ideas: Are you around a lot of welding (shadowing)? Oxidation? Maybe over spray on accident?

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3 ideas: Are you around a lot of welding (shadowing)? Oxidation? Maybe over spray on accident?
Come on guys. No overspray, welding or even much dust. The bike is taken care of better than the wife! :eek:

I don't think you all are getting the picture. This was UNDER the reflectors and it looks like the reflector just took off any coating and 'brushing' that are inherent with the forks. The bad areas are absolutely SMOOTH but dark. The more I buffed, the darker it gets!

Man, this is perplexing. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Come on guys. No overspray, welding or even much dust. The bike is taken care of better than the wife! :eek:

I don't think you all are getting the picture. This was UNDER the reflectors and it looks like the reflector just took off any coating and 'brushing' that are inherent with the forks. The bad areas are absolutely SMOOTH but dark. The more I buffed, the darker it gets!

Man, this is perplexing. :eek:
Weird... it's kind of like my front brake at the moment... The clicking is back and I have replaced the whole brake assembly and everything... Hopefully you can figure out yours... Going on 4 months for my perplexion... :(

Again, since you have the skills... maybe a repaint to match your paint job... maybe a mix inbetween the frame color and the new fender panels? Chrome... Don't know but I feel your pain, why I suggested goo gone and maybe the blue job, was being serious btw...

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Weird... it's kind of like my front brake at the moment... The clicking is back and I have replaced the whole brake assembly and everything... Hopefully you can figure out yours... Going on 4 months for my perplexion... :(

Again, since you have the skills... maybe a repaint to match your paint job... maybe a mix inbetween the frame color and the new fender panels? Chrome... Don't know but I feel your pain, why I suggested goo gone and maybe the blue job, was being serious btw...
Yes I know your serious and a good suggestion. But this one is beyond me. I may just live with it until after riding season. Don't want to break the front end down just now.

Maybe I can put a 'smiley face' sticker over that area??? :p

·
Super Moderator
6,295 Posts
Sounds like a chemical reaction to me. The forks are clear coated, at least on the Aussie models. Perhaps a little CLR calcium Lime & Rust remover may help, I've used it to get all sorts of things off or out of metal. You'd want to test a small area first. I wish I could think of what else to suggest but I'm stumped right now.

I'm really glad we did not get those reflectors here in Aus after all the trouble everyone has had getting them off.

·
Premium Member
4,750 Posts
I would think that the forks were covered with a very thing coat of clear coat or some type of plastic to keep the brushed look through the years, can you take a good look at it and see if it looks like when you peeled the sticker off it took that layer of coating off? If that is the case the only way I would think someone could fix it is get another one, paint it, or chrome it, in my opinion I think the painted forks look the best and would probably be the cheapest route, hope you figure it out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.