·
Registered
426 Posts
sweet, let the fun begin.

·
Super Moderator
6,290 Posts
Good advice from Tops Fury.

I'd add always wear all your gear every time you ride.

I suggest the following gear:
Full face helmet
leather jacket with CE armour
leather pants with CE armour
10 -12" high motorcycle harness boots
leather gloves

Always wear all your gear, yes even if it is hot or you are just going to the local shops.

A few months ago my best friend got hit by a cager who changed lanes without looking. He had all his gear on and although his bike had $5000 worth of damage he only got bruised and walked away. If he had not had all his gear on he may be having skin grafts for the rest of his life or of he had no helmet he'd be dead.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Good advice from Tops Fury.

I'd add always wear all your gear every time you ride.

I suggest the following gear:
Full face helmet
leather jacket with CE armour
leather pants with CE armour
10 -12" high motorcycle harness boots
leather gloves

Always wear all your gear, yes even if it is hot or you are just going to the local shops.

A few months ago my best friend got hit by a cager who changed lanes without looking. He had all his gear on and although his bike had $5000 worth of damage he only got bruised and walked away. If he had not had all his gear on he may be having skin grafts for the rest of his life or of he had no helmet he'd be dead.
I agree to some extent, i have a mesh jacket (waiting on comfy pants) get gear that you will atleast wear in the worst possible conditions you will face. My mesh jacket wont hold up as well as leather with sliding but will be much more tempting to wear even in summer time (90-100 degheat) and same with my gloves, I layer for winter time, but know that in the heat of summer i can wear my gear and not roast. I am going to probably get true winter gear next year (leather jacket/ gloves) so i wont have to layer and they tend to be better protection, but if it is something that is going to make my riding uncomfortable then im less likely to wear it or ride and either of those 2 outcomes is not something i want

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well, i went ahead and signed up for the motorcycle training course for next weekend, and that Monday after- here i come fury! Very excited!
Excellent move Mp; you'll never regret it. I've been riding for 40+ years, and I'd still love to take the courses for brush-up purposes and maybe learn a few new things - unfortunately the only ones in the dayton area AREN'T in the dayton area, and can't get enough time off work to travel to nearby cities to take the course. Still will someday though if the opportunity arises ...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Great choice on the course... I would only suggest that you get your Fury first, ride it for a week on the back streets to get a feel for it, and then do the course. The bikes they offer are nothing like the Fury, plus they are usually small multi sport or cheap Korean bikes. They usually do not have anything over a 250cc and they do not handle the same as the bike you are choosing to buy.
As for the gear, get what you are comfortable in. Full faces helmets are the best, but I found they limit my visual and hearing, but that is for me. As for the jacket, definitely leather. Boots... over the ankle for sure. Pants... a good set of chaps will do the trick and will last you a long time.

Enjoy your ride and keep the rubber down. :cool:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Great choice on the course... I would only suggest that you get your Fury first, ride it for a week on the back streets to get a feel for it, and then do the course. The bikes they offer are nothing like the Fury, plus they are usually small multi sport or cheap Korean bikes. They usually do not have anything over a 250cc and they do not handle the same as the bike you are choosing to buy.
A valid point of view, but gotta respectfully disagree with this one; as a brand new rider, I think you're better off not buying *anything* until after the course - I mean, there's a chance you'll find the Fury *isn't* the bike for you. As much as I like mine, it isn't the ride for everyone - the long wheelbase will sacrifice a lot of handling, but you'll never understand the difference without some basis for comparison. And, just from a safety standpoint, the handling skills you'll pick up, even on the small safety course bikes, will go a long way to ensuring you don't drop or lay down your new fury if that's the bike you decide to go with. Take your time, ride the msf bikes, go to dealers and try a couple others including the fury - then make a final decision. Whatever you buy, bikes aren't cheap and selling one used if you decide you don't like your first choice can be a costly hassle. Learn first; buy later - probably make for a happier rider ;)

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
A valid point of view, but gotta respectfully disagree with this one; as a brand new rider, I think you're better off not buying *anything* until after the course - I mean, there's a chance you'll find the Fury *isn't* the bike for you. As much as I like mine, it isn't the ride for everyone - the long wheelbase will sacrifice a lot of handling, but you'll never understand the difference without some basis for comparison. And, just from a safety standpoint, the handling skills you'll pick up, even on the small safety course bikes, will go a long way to ensuring you don't drop or lay down your new fury if that's the bike you decide to go with. Take your time, ride the msf bikes, go to dealers and try a couple others including the fury - then make a final decision. Whatever you buy, bikes aren't cheap and selling one used if you decide you don't like your first choice can be a costly hassle. Learn first; buy later - probably make for a happier rider ;)
+1
My first bike was a Kawi Ninja 250. It was a great bike to learn on and pretty inexpensive. I learned a lot on that little 250 which brought me through a few others until finally, the Fury. Looking back, I'm not sure if the Fury would have been a great first choice of EVER owning a motorcycle, but then again, we are all different. All I'm saying is that 250 Ninja was the basis for building my confidence and making better decisions that came along in the future. You can pick up a smaller bike and build confidence and riding awareness for a small price, resell it down the road when you feel comfortable and take a small loss of a few hundred dollars. In my opinion, it's worth the loss. My father-in-law is selling an 07 Honda Rebel 250cc for $1000 which was dropped twice. Perfect bike to begin a passion for riding. There are others out there as well that you can check.
Either way, good luck and safe riding!!

Larry

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have to agree, scratch up their bike a little more instead of your own. :D If you can ride one of those little 250 cc POS's you can ride the Fury. You will never regret taking that course the first time you come into a corner hot and remember to countersteer hard and not hit the rear brake. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.