Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get everything back together and all is working well with the LED's. Wiring is good, all is working. I take the bike for a quick spin and notice that damn reaper fender in the front is rubbing for about the 10th time!!
I have lock tight on the bolts and lock washers. What more can you do?!
Obviously the holes in the fender are drilled to big because the fender keeps sliding back and rubbing. The bolts are so tight I have cracked the paint and literally indented the fender with the washer.
So I have to adjust the fender right? I go to loosen the first bolt and the head F**KIN snapped right off!!! MOTHER F**KER!! When does it ever end!!?
SO how is the best way to get that out? I got to get it out because it will never stay in place with only one bolt on one side. Not that it ever stayed in place before.:(
And what the hell else can I do to stop this stupid fender from moving every other week?
Thanks! A VERY PISSED OFF BYBER!!:mad:

(5 minute break)
Screw it! Just got off the phone with Kurt at SUMO and I am buying one of there front fenders! I have had it with this reaper fender.
It is similar to the reaper but not as tight.
MATTE SILVER REAPER FENDER FOR SALE! MAKE OFFER!
Will need very little touch up paint around the bolt holes.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'll take the fender if you can hold on to it for a couple weeks. I'll drive up and get it so you don't have to worry about shipping.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
So I get everything back together and all is working well with the LED's. Wiring is good, all is working. I take the bike for a quick spin and notice that damn reaper fender in the front is rubbing for about the 10th time!!
I have lock tight on the bolts and lock washers. What more can you do?!
Obviously the holes in the fender are drilled to big because the fender keeps sliding back and rubbing. The bolts are so tight I have cracked the paint and literally indented the fender with the washer.
So I have to adjust the fender right? I go to loosen the first bolt and the head F**KIN snapped right off!!! MOTHER F**KER!! When does it ever end!!?
SO how is the best way to get that out? I got to get it out because it will never stay in place with only one bolt on one side. Not that it ever stayed in place before.:(
And what the hell else can I do to stop this stupid fender from moving every other week?
Thanks! A VERY PISSED OFF BYBER!!:mad:

(5 minute break)
Screw it! Just got off the phone with Kurt at SUMO and I am buying one of there front fenders! I have had it with this reaper fender.
Byber, what about putting rubber gromets in the holes? You can make your own if you can't find any the right size that will keep the fender from shifting, just a suggestion
GF

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Make sure everything is even front and back, side to side when putting the fender on... Just take your time, takes me about 5 to 10 minutes to put on the fender every time as I make sure everything is aligned...

But, you made me laugh at least... sorry bout the broken bolt and your luck... rotfl... ;)

Oh, are you using a washer AND lock washer? You don't have to tighten the crap out of it if you have that lock washer on... just saying...

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Dang Byber! I have experienced the bolt snapping off just as you did. We tried all the bits to try and back the bolt out to no avail. Drill the SOB out and get a self tapping bolt and be done with it. What style fender did you get? I have a SUMO front fender also but RSS doesn’t like it. I like to be different.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Put it up on the jack, drop the front wheel, and rotate the effected fork 180º. Now, using a sharp-pointed center punch, you MAY be able to "tease" the broken threaded section back out of the fender-mount boss. Maybe not, if you had Loctite on the threads. If it won't budge, you'll have to pilot-drill it and use an easy-out to get it out. Your initial problem (secure alignment) could probably have been solved by using a stepped-washer, which has an integrated sholder formed onto the flat part, and serves as a centering-bushing. I know, I know; NOW he tells me! Anyway FWIW.............

By the way, a lot of these fasteners (like the fender bolts) are grade-2, which have a tendency to twist-off when you secure them with Loctite. The FIX: when you take something apart that has grade-2's, put it back together using grade-5's.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Great, that means a nice discount on a group buy is right around the corner for the Sumo front fender.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Great, that means a nice discount on a group buy is right around the corner for the Sumo front fender.
Gesus! Don't you know that it's not nice to kick the man when he's down??? We're going to have to get you some etiquette counseling.............LOL.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love that movie! Don't watch it Byber!!!
It is a great flick!

Make sure everything is even front and back, side to side when putting the fender on... Just take your time, takes me about 5 to 10 minutes to put on the fender every time as I make sure everything is aligned...

Oh, are you using a washer AND lock washer? You don't have to tighten the crap out of it if you have that lock washer on... just saying...
Both washers being used. I always put that fender on perfect every time. After about 50 miles or so it moves. I just don't get it!?
And in my opinion this fender does not come with proper mounting hardware. Really? Rubber washers? Yea, those work!:rolleyes: And why would the holes in the fender not be tight to the bolts? This should be set up so you have to thread the bolt threw the fender and have no play at all!
Dang Byber! I have experienced the bolt snapping off just as you did. We tried all the bits to try and back the bolt out to no avail. Drill the SOB out and get a self tapping bolt and be done with it. What style fender did you get? I have a SUMO front fender also but RSS doesn’t like it. I like to be different.
I was also not too much of a fan of your fender Richard. But Kurt said he also has a pointy style front fender. Not like yours. He said yours was a round style. But that matches your rear. I think it will look real good.

Put it up on the jack, drop the front wheel, and rotate the effected fork 180º. Now, using a sharp-pointed center punch, you MAY be able to "tease" the broken threaded section back out of the fender-mount boss. Maybe not, if you had Loctite on the threads. If it won't budge, you'll have to pilot-drill it and use an easy-out to get it out. Your initial problem (secure alignment) could probably have been solved by using a stepped-washer, which has an integrated sholder formed onto the flat part, and serves as a centering-bushing. I know, I know; NOW he tells me! Anyway FWIW.............

By the way, a lot of these fasteners (like the fender bolts) are grade-2, which have a tendency to twist-off when you secure them with Loctite. The FIX: when you take something apart that has grade-2's, put it back together using grade-5's.

Cheers
I sure wish all these mechanics and vendors had your knowledge Bar.
I know exactly the washer your talking about! Where the hell were you 2 months ago!:p I think I am going to go with Richards idea just to get it done. And then use your suggested washer and see how it goes. Sumo did tell me it would be a good month or more because they are backed up so I gotta get it fixed. I also don't have to pay Sumo till it is done and ready to ship! This is how it should be with all vendors!

Well, If the tire is coming off I may as well paint the lower tubes black!
Thanks for the help guys!
And like Dave said. Might be a group buy coming.:p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts