Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard two schools of thought on this subject. I'm only asking about daytime riding.

Do you use the high beam constantly? Or just stay with the low?

I have an aftermarket bulb that is brighter than stock. The high bothers oncoming traffic, I feel.

Chime in with your thoughts please. Ride Safe everyone.

I meant to say "Beams" in the topic line, sorry.

·
Premium Member
6,727 Posts
I ride with the low beam on. If I’m tooling down the road and I think someone may pull out in front of me, I flip the high on.:mad: Haven’t really given much thought to riding with high beam on all the time. Something to think about.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I leave my high beams on at all times. There is no reason not to use every possible way to be seen better.

If you every ride with a friend, have your buddy put on the high beams, pull up to a stop where you can see the reflection of your bikes in a car or truck (a tailgate or chrome bumper works best) and you will see the difference in daytime visibility with the high beams.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
There are a couple bikes here that have some kind of modual that switches between the high and low beam. I must admit, it does catch my attention, but i cant help but wonder if you can get into trouble if your behind a cop.

I have Wig-Wags in my car, but i wouldnt think of running with them on all the time. Sooner or later someone would think i was the law and pull over or make phone call.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like high beans. They give a better gas expansion and keep people I don't like from sticking around for very long.

Oh, we're talking about beams! Okay I know that in a car having you headlights on low beam during the day increases your ability to be seen by an additional 2500 feet. That's why they are always illuminated on motorcycles (sorry, always on on motorcycles sounded weird). If you've ever ridden an older bike there was a switch to turn the lights on and off.

Now I don't recall any studies that indicate if there is an increased visibility distance if running high beams during the day. What does come to mind is that a half of a mile of visibility sounds pretty far out with plenty of time to see an object coming at you. (About 30 seconds at 60mph) Now it is possible to still blind a person using a beam of light during the day. I don't think I want some dumb cager to not see me, start a lane change, catch my high beam in his mirror, burn his retinas enough to never even have a chance to see me. This is purely from a hypothetical and logical course of events that may be encountered on the road.

2500ft of distance is plenty to be seen. I use low beams during the day unless someone pisses me off.

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
I always ride with my hi beams on for both day and night. I don't know if its the best way or the right way or not. I only know its the way I've always done it and don't plan on changing anything soon unless I find a goo reason to do so otherwise.

·
Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Thanks Gar for bringing up this topic. It’s something that I have not previously given much thought to. After reading the post I will increase my chances of being seen and ride with my high beams on.

·
Registered
314 Posts
There are a couple bikes here that have some kind of modual that switches between the high and low beam. I must admit, it does catch my attention, but i cant help but wonder if you can get into trouble if your behind a cop.

I have Wig-Wags in my car, but i wouldnt think of running with them on all the time. Sooner or later someone would think i was the law and pull over or make phone call.
Not sure what "Wig-Wags" are but I am familiar with the modulator kits. I'm not a cop, but I work very close with several agencies and there are a lot of police officers that ride and understand the importance of being visible. I've read the Illinois statutes and it is NOT against the law in Illinois, the cops didn't know if it was or wasn't. Even if it was against the law, they give a pass on a lot of things if it is obviously for safety and you're not riding like an ass.

Vertical plates, though? Not so much, they'll write you for that one.

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
I always ride with my hi beams on for both day and night. I don't know if its the best way or the right way or not. I only know its the way I've always done it and don't plan on changing anything soon unless I find a goo reason to do so otherwise.
Dave, do you keep the high beams on even when pulled up behind a car at a light or something? I dim mine.

Bob

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Not sure what "Wig-Wags" are but I am familiar with the modulator kits. I'm not a cop, but I work very close with several agencies and there are a lot of police officers that ride and understand the importance of being visible. I've read the Illinois statutes and it is NOT against the law in Illinois, the cops didn't know if it was or wasn't. Even if it was against the law, they give a pass on a lot of things if it is obviously for safety and you're not riding like an ass.

Vertical plates, though? Not so much, they'll write you for that one.
Wig Wags alternate between the high and low beams, sometimes in different patterns. Most EMS and police cars run them. I installed mine for when i used to show my car in car shows.

YouTube - Police Car Wig Wag Headlight Flasher Emergency Light MOD

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.