Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made my own press (YouTube) to collapse the mono shock enough to remove the clips and disassemble so I could cut the spring to lower my bike. The only tricky part is to make a piece that fits the top of the assembly so it can be compressed. Here's a shot or two of what worked and it only cost me a few bucks to lower the bike. With less than 3 inches of clearance I could not find a jack that would fit under my bike so I made my own from an idea on YouTube. Just slide it under as far as the stop allows and the two carpet grooves line up with the frame. This gets the rear tire off the ground about 1 inch or so. The handle comes off for easy storage and so you don't trip over it when in use.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Nice work love the DIY, but that press looks sketch! That spring is under a ton of force!
FWIW, the Harbor Freight jack is lower profile than most and it fits under my bike when it's fully dropped (with an air setup, so it's almost tire on fender) with only minor bit of wigglin' to get er under there

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work love the DIY, but that press looks sketch! That spring is under a ton of force!
FWIW, the Harbor Freight jack is lower profile than most and it fits under my bike when it's fully dropped (with an air setup, so it's almost tire on fender) with only minor bit of wigglin' to get er under there
You are correct that the press I made years ago was a one use only, throw away model, that "served it's purpose". And that's exactly where the bent parts sit now, in the junk heap of history, telling their own story. Mainly it was just supposed to be a "yes you can, I did it" story to show how easy and inexpensive it was for me to lower one of my bikes. Also thanks for the info on the jack. This bike has 2 3/4 inches clearance so I'm not sure that the Harbor Freight jack would fit, even if I tried to "wiggle" it under the frame. My tire can't rub on the frame because I cut the two back crossbars OFF, and most of that ugly fender too. (My opinion of course). I'm about 180 lbs and the bike goes down a bunch when I sit on it from what you see here in this picture. Can you measure it for us so we can all know if this jack would work for us, and maybe get one? I have not found one that will fit but I am definitely still interested in finding one. The lowest profile that I have ever seen is just over 3 inches tall. Thanks in advance. Hey, is that a camera that I see under the rear fender? Yes, it's one of 4. NICE!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I actually own the harbor feight jack currently and it works. This is my bike fully lowered (1/2" clearance between tire and fender frame). I made a bump stop so that if I ever lost air, I could ride home. Taking corners I will def scrape frame in this configuration, so having it this low is only for parking and looks, or riding in an emergency:

I cannot slide the jack in with it on the side stand. I have to level the bike to slide it under. It will hang up a little bit on the opposite frame rail until I give it that wiggle. I'll see if I can get some photos the next few days, I'll be working from home because of this potential PNW "storm" (hey, work told me too!!)

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
196 Posts
I also have the harbor freight jack. Unless I lift the back up the jack will not fit all the way so i came up with this....

If I need to raise the bike, I place this just in front of the rear tire, roll up on the block. I still have to hold the bike upright to slide the jack all the way under. When done, lower the bike, remove jack and roll off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It might be, good ideas get around. Like ABS sized brakes that are not ABS brakes. I read about them in another post on this site, a few days ago. I am looking into the parts for that conversion right now.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
It might be, good ideas get around. Like ABS sized brakes that are not ABS brakes. I read about them in another post on this site, a few days ago. I am looking into the parts for that conversion right now.
The parts are pretty expensive. I believe when I priced them out they were over $1k new.

I still have the parts off my bike, if you are interested let me know.

·
Super Moderator
3,020 Posts
I like the ingenuity, and though I'm not a huge fan of safety, I'm also not a fan of ill-fated destiny....

In the spirit of being helpful, there are threads on most everything, the spring cutting and floor jack included.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts