Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon to embark on replacing my Fury's rear shock with the L&M model, I am able to borrow my neighbor's motorcycle jack, but I don't have access to a press to compress the spring.

I found a site that has homemade tools for those of us with not-so-deep pockets to buy some otherwise expensive tools. It's Iron Head Cycles Homemade Tools section and I just might try their shock spring compressor to do the job for which I'd otherwise need that damn press.

Hope this comes in handy for someone/everyone. :)

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Sounds good bro...!

But, have you talked to your local shop though, to see how much they could do it for you? Might not take a lot of $bling$ to do it at a local shop... :D

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good bro...!

But, have you talked to your local shop though, to see how much they could do it for you? Might not take a lot of $bling$ to do it at a local shop... :D
That's one thought. But, the other thought I am having ... which I will either send photos of its accomplishment or me in the hospital ... is to use a 4x4 drilled out for the base/bottom and use my car's weight (with the car jack, of course) to depress the shock with the tool that comes with the L&M spring.

I just don't want to run out in the midst of the work ... but I also don't want to put my eye out, either :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
That's one thought. But, the other thought I am having ... which I will either send photos of its accomplishment or me in the hospital ... is to use a 4x4 drilled out for the base/bottom and use my car's weight (with the car jack, of course) to depress the shock with the tool that comes with the L&M spring.

I just don't want to run out in the midst of the work ... but I also don't want to put my eye out, either :eek:
Think you're over thinking this situation... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Clueless posted last month about this. If I remember right he said you will need a professional rig to do this type of spring, and yes you could put your eye out with out using the proper equipment and having the proper knowledge for this type spring. I acknowledge your resourcefulness, but some things are best left to others. IMO

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
FYI:
We took tdebeers shock to the local Honda dealer and they charged him $45.00 to do it..
equates to 1/2 hour labor rate..
T

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
A decent amount of machine shops may do that for you for a few bucks. I dont know the spring compresser they require but you can sometimes borrow tools from auto parts stores, I think advanced auto does it, you pay for the tool as a deposit then get a refund when you bring it back.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I saw the spring compressor in one of the poorly written chopper mags--dude, by the time you rig it up a shop could have it done and you'd be installing it instead of 'experimenting'...unless you like that sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
13,593 Posts
have you ever been hit in the head by a spring that had a couple hundred pounds of compression on it.it could be your last.if you dont have the proper tools dont try it.PLEASE.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: I took my new L&M spring to a local shop - Complete Auto Parts, Inc in St Petersburg, FL - and the Capobianco Bros. who own/run the place traded me the labor for swapping out the spring for the L&M Spring Tool that comes with the spring.

I love it when things work out that way! :p

My Fury is now Low & Mean.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
and the Capobianco Bros. who own/run the place traded me the labor for swapping out the spring for the L&M Spring Tool that comes with the spring.
I love it when things work out that way! :p

My Fury is now Low & Mean.[/quote]

Now, That ST PETE, IS CALLED RESOURCEFUL! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Home made tools

Sooo I'm kinda cheap... i didnt really see the need to fork out a bunch of money for a motorcycle jack.... I have a welder. some scrap metal and bought a $15 scissor jack... works great! bike is stable and the back tire has lots of clearance for any testing i may want to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a set of these;
A small piece of ply to protect the frame and up she goes. :grin:

Attachments

Reactions: Statelinerider

·
Registered
692 Posts

that is what i did. i made my own spring tool out of steel from work, then used the back truck bumper on my old ford & a floor jack & did it that way. it isn't the safest way of doing it, but it worked. just be careful, if that mother frigger comes out on you your gonna get hurt. i had a small piece of chain ran through the spring & hooked around the back axle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yaa.... Im all for making my own tools.... But a spring compressor is designed to hold a spring and compress it safely... spend the couple of bucks and go to a garage to get them to compress it for you... (I've seen and heard too many stories of guys getting hurt or even killed from springs letting go)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts