Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I’m looking at getting my first street legal motorcycle, I’ve ridden dirt bikes for years so I know to respect the color copy by 55 printing bike and the power it has. I love the style of the bike, and people say the ride awesome. I’m a bigger guy, 6’1, 270lbs. Any advice would be awesome!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Typically I would not recomend starting with a 1300cc bike as a first. You've ridden before. It is an easy ride. Low seat height, handles great. Biggest thing you will notice coming from the dirt is that it has a large turning radius.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Keep in mind it tips the scale at right around 660 lbs. Unlike an open class dirt thrower at 280 lbs. As OB eluded to, turning around for the first few times can be a challenge.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'd say you're good for this bike. The handling and balance are great -- it feels lighter than other 660 lb bikes. And it's a Honda, so not like some overpriced "investment" that's gonna hurt your soul if you drop it fer chrissakes. Go for it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is my first motorcycle EVER(!) and eventhough I'm still a newbie, I am enjoying it immensely! I'll be 67 this June. I'm 6'- 2" and tip the scale at 200lbs ± 10 lbs. I did purchase a set of forward controls, but have yet to install them. I took my son's advice to learn how to handle and put some miles on the bike as is before making ANY modifications. They'll get installed in the next few months.
Ready for the road.jpg

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
This is my first motorcycle EVER(!) and eventhough I'm still a newbie, I am enjoying it immensely! I'll be 67 this June. I'm 6'- 2" and tip the scale at 200lbs ± 10 lbs. I did purchase a set of forward controls, but have yet to install them. I took my son's advice to learn how to handle and put some miles on the bike as is before making ANY modifications. They'll get installed in the next few months.
View attachment 236358
Good to see you back... I thought about you the other day... looks like all the green is gone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Everyone is different. I also rode dirt bikes for many years before going to the street. I'm 6'5" 200 lbs. and very glad I rode a lighter, smaller bike (Shadow) for a few years first.

Let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
My first bike was a dirt bike and when I first rode a street bike, even though it was a little 350cc, to me it was the difference between a tennis ball and an anvil. Dirt bikes are so much easier to maneuver than a street bike.

Then, after having ridden street bikes with a "normal' wheel base most of my life, my first experience with the Fury and its raked out front end, was almost like learning how to ride all over again as far as turning was concerned. Regular bikes are much easier to maneuver through turns than a bike with even a little stretch. I'm fine with it now, but at first I was trying to ride it like any other bike and I found myself crossing way over into the other lane when turning.

It reminded me of a time long ago when I rode my first "chopper" with a very long rake and the first time I tried to turn, I almost fell over. The wheel base makes a big difference in handling.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
It's good you understand riding with the dirtbike but there is literally no translation in my option from dirtbiking to this bike except for the throttle and braking.

I mean EVERYTHING is different that is going to effect how the bike handles. I had a Suzuki Intruder before this bike which was smaller but it was good for my application at the time.

I think you'll be fine as long as you respect the handling and don't try to over-do it. You'll catch on quick to her characteristics though.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
It's good you understand riding with the dirtbike but there is literally no translation in my option from dirtbiking to this bike except for the throttle and braking.

I mean EVERYTHING is different that is going to effect how the bike handles. I had a Suzuki Intruder before this bike which was smaller but it was good for my application at the time.

I think you'll be fine as long as you respect the handling and don't try to over-do it. You'll catch on quick to her characteristics though.
"Over doing it".........I wasn't over doing it as far as riding a normal bike, but my first few turns, especially to the right were a bit unnerving. I found out you couldn't turn this bike as fast and not with the same amount of lean as a normal bike. I was riding with a group and when we took a right turn, I was just riding normal, but the bike took me way over into the oncoming traffic lane. That was a good lesson when it looked like I was going to smash into the pickup truck coming in the other lane.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
"Over doing it".........I wasn't over doing it as far as riding a normal bike, but my first few turns, especially to the right were a bit unnerving. I found out you couldn't turn this bike as fast and not with the same amount of lean as a normal bike. I was riding with a group and when we took a right turn, I was just riding normal, but the bike took me way over into the oncoming traffic lane. That was a good lesson when it looked like I was going to smash into the pickup truck coming in the other lane.
Yeah I guess over-doing it was the wrong terminology. Maybe it should read "don't expect it to have the snappy response of a dirtbike" haha.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi farukhcasy, like at least one other member said, this is my first ever bike, too. I’ve had it about 3 months now and I LOVE IT!!! I do feel obligated to report that I dropped it the first time I ever sat on it, though. One of the reasons some people say it’s not a “beginner’s” bike is because of the large engine, which means a lot of power. A slip of the wrist on a small dirt bike may mean a small mistake - easily forgotten. A slip of the wrist on a 1300cc beast could mean jumping in front of oncoming traffic or crashing your new bike and doing costly damage. The flip side is that, once you get used to it, you outgrow a “beginner’s” bike really quick. Then you wish you had something bigger and end up buying more bikes or trading up. Only you can decide if you can put the effort into learning the bike safely and slowly, and if you could possibly afford buying a bigger bike every few months as you “get used to” more power. There are many more factors to consider, but my opinion is get the bike you really want, and learn to ride on it. If you make some mistakes along the way, so be it. Take them as an opportunity to fix or mod your bike and really make it “your” bike while learning more about it at the same time. Don’t settle for what some guy said was a good starter bike just because it’s a good starter bike. That would get real boring real fast. The Fury? Not so much...

·
Registered
2013 fury
27 Posts
I had always been on supersports and the fury was my first cruiser and I had to adjust an what felt like relearn how to ride. Once I got a couple of rides in the bike becomes so comfortable. I have even tank layed as i took off a few times just out of old habit. I have found that I can lean the bike more than it looks like it can

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi all, I’m looking at getting my first street legal motorcycle, I’ve ridden dirt bikes for years so I know to respect the color copy by 55 printing bike and the power it has. I love the style of the bike, and people say the ride awesome. I’m a bigger guy, 6’1, 270lbs. Any advice would be awesome!
I own a 2010 Fury and it has been an amazing bike for me. It's also my first. Sadly, I have to sell it as I now have kids at home and don't have much time to ride. Happy to send pictures and more info if interested.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
If you know dirt bike riding, then you know counter steering, keep that in mind.
I think that depends what kind of MX you ride. I ride trail mostly, no track, and there's little to no countersteering involved. Plus the head tube angle is incredibly steep on a dirtbike, which makes it much more flickable and twitchy. More comparative to mtb in that sense.
When I jumped on the Fury it was quick to learn and understand, but I didn't personally think much translated from dirtbiking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm 40, 6'3", 240 lbs. The Fury was my first bike after taking a riding course, and no previous riding or dirt bike experience. I've since been back to take an advanced course, thinking that investing in my skills is the way to go to enjoy the riding life as much as possible.

I general in life I'm on the more careful side, and I'm perfectly happy to take my time to get to know something before pushing my limits.

This is the start of my 3rd riding season, I've got a sports bike as well as the Fury, and I still ride the Fury when I'm looking for a chill, relaxing ride.

So I think if you're the kind of person who is going to take your time and invest in getting good before really pushing things you'll be fine. If you're more of the daredevil side of things more power to you, but not only might you prefer a faster bike, this is not the kind of bike I'd push limits on. Quite heavy, wide turning radius, totally manageable, but takes some getting used to.

All that said -- get a Fury already! They're great bikes! I took a 1,500 mile road trip on it last summer and it was amazing!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ahh, first street bike. Sweeter memory than my first girlfriend. I was a sophomore in high, bagging groceries and bought a brand new, metallic blue 1976 KZ750. I put 40,000 miles on that thing during high school.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts