Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. How are we. Been a lil while. Plain and simple installed xprodox Shooter grips on, hurt wrist, very uncomfortable and I want to put on rubber based grips, to contour and make it more comfy for the hands. Question is has anyone have experience or advice on how to take clutch side grip off that was glued on with gorilla glue? is there a method? Thanks and I appreciate it. R

·
Registered
970 Posts
Torch and a sledge hammer only tools I have on my box they can do anything!:p
Heat them up with a hair dryer is the only thing I can think of!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Put some of that glue on something and start testing solvents on it to see what softens/disolves it, then use that. Better yet, get a hold of the company and see what they suggest.

quick web search turned up this:

Gorilla Glue is polyurethane based
That means any solvent that breaks down polyurethane will break down Gorilla Glue. Those solvents are:

Toluene, naptha, denatured alcohol, methyl ethyl ketone, some forms of lacquer thinner and in the most extreme cases gasoline. Any of these things can be purchased at a local hardware store or home center.

Beware, all of these things are petroleum based and extremely flamable.

However there are also many sites that state that once the glue has cured, it will not be dissolved by anything.

Good luck, and in the future use a nice simple rubber cement like goo, or the stuff from Honda, will make your life a lot eaiser.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Did you try the Prying with screwdriver and spraying with WD40 trick? I did that on the stockers and worked like easy peasy!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Even if you can find something that dissolves cured Gorilla glue, you may still have to destroy the grip to get it off. I'd go with a dremel and carefully cut the grip off. I used Gorilla glue on a grip once but the stuff is hard to control and if you're not careful, you'll end up with it in your switch housings.

This thread has some good suggestions for grip glue.

http://www.furyforums.com/forum/honda-fury-general-discussion/8055-best-glue-grips.html

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Drill and blast? Sorry, I suffer from selective perception; worked with explosives for too many years. LOL.

Cheers

·
Registered
305 Posts
Brute froce might be the easiest. Remove clutch bracket and switch housing. Get a piece of flat stock (like a hacksaw blade) and bend a 90* angle about 4 in in from the end. Wrap your exposed handlebars in tape to protect them near the grip and tap the flatstock into the grip. Work your way around and done.

Hopefully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts