Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently see people needing bags, clocks, bigger fuel tanks, radios, comfy seats to ride 100's of miles, extra lights, floor boards etc...etc...etc
Anyway the question is...and don't rant at me...everybody love the Fury but who bought the wrong bike?

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
I recently see people needing bags, clocks, bigger fuel tanks, radios, comfy seats to ride 100's of miles, extra lights, floor boards etc...etc...etc
Anyway the question is...and don't rant at me...everybody love the Fury but who bought the wrong bike?
If I went on 3-4 day rides all the time, like 4-6 times a year, then I definitely bought the wrong bike.

However, if I take one or two of those long trips a year, then I can easily strap a bag to the back of the bike and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought the right bike for my needs, since I am a weekend rider. Storage space is sparse though and I'm contemplating between 1-2 storage solutions, but apart from that, the fury is everything I want.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Nope, none of that fluff for me. I bought the Fury because of the chopper style and the fit. I put the Muth binker mirrors on for safety but everything else is to make the bike even more chopper! I've also wondered why folks who ultimately want a bagger just didn't buy one in the first place especially with so may available, but I guess it is just personal choice.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
After you add all that stuff, you have an awesome looking bike that turns heads instead of just another a boring cruiser/bagger. I'm fine with adding all the stuff. I got the right bike.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Regardless of the answers here, at appears that most people don't stick around here for long.

I love my bike, but I'm still not happy with the way it handles at high speeds. And by high, I mean 70-80 mph. I already replaced the steering bearings and it made a world of difference, but it's still not how it should be. I got some Dynabeads coming, to see if it's a wheel balance issue, after that I don't know what I can do to improve it.

Other than that? I knew there was no 6th gear when I bought it. I knew that it's not a bike that has storage options. I knew that that seat sucks for the passenger. So If I can improve the highway ride, I will keep this bike for years, just like others I've had. If not? I don't know.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I will admit there has been a time or two when I have thought I really need a windshield or a bag to store stuff. Then I realize it would all ruin the look of the bike. I'll probably never take a long trip that I would really need all that stuff. I do more day trips for just a few hundred miles. I chose the bike for my intended use.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Although some of the Fury baggers look cool if I remember correctly the bike is called the Honda Fury chopper . I haven't seen anyone take an American iron horse chopper and turn it into a bagger it would totally take away from the bike . Personally I want a bagger but I wouldn't turn my fury into one .

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
It all about choices, and in the 21st century you have all the means to buy something, then turn it into something YOU like.

Me personally, it was a great base to work off of. Out of the box it turned heads. But im not one to leave my personal items alone just as is. If i like the look of something additional then im 1st going to weigh cost over function. I would love to have a Sumo with air ride, but im not all about spending 7 grand on top of the 6 i have already spent for a toy that i can only use 6 months out of the year.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
A lot of guys, especially newbies, buy the Fury without first really examining what they expect to do with it and what their performance expectations are. Typically, they buy it based strictly on its sexy looks and its "curb-appeal". Like ALL chopper-style bikes, it isn't and wasn't designed for doing long-haul, down-the-road, cross-country. And even after pouring-in tons of money, in an attempt to make it more comfortable with after-market seats, windshields, forwards, throw-off bags, etc., etc., it's still not a competent touring machine; you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! LOL. And, after you make all the expensive changes to make it marginally more comfortable and serviceable, you really don't have a chopper anymore, in the classical sense of the concept. Everybody wants a "universal", end-all, be-all, one-model-does-it-all motorcycle and, I'm sad to report, no such animal exists, or ever has for that matter. You simply can't take a farm-tractor to a sports-car race and expect to perform well! I suspect that one of the reasons we see so many low-time riders selling their Fury's and leaving the Forum is that it only took them a short while to discover the limitations of their new toy and to want something more practical.

Myself, I added my Fury to my shed-full of bikes strictly because I liked the simple, clean-cut, stripped-down looks of it, AND because my Harley chopper-mounted bar-hopping buddies kept giving me shit about my Goldwing. I seldom ride my Fury more than about 100 miles away from home. Any further than that and I drag-out the Concours or the Goldwing; for road-burning, I want the comfort and utility of a purpose-designed touring machine. Anyway, my long-winded two-bits............

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
My personal belief is that many like me are new to bikes and didn't know what to exactly look for in a bike or know exactly what kind / distance we were going to ride the bike.

I have to admit that this is my first bike and I bought the Fury because it was a bad ass looking bike and was pretty affordable / payments where I needed them to be, now that I have the bike I realize that I would like to ride longer distances, would like a windshield, would like some storage, cruise control for those long trips.

Yeah the bike can have all that stuff added, but like others said it wasn't really meant for it and takes away from the lines/beauty of the bike.

I too have contemplated trading the Fury in for something made for the long hauls, but the wife wants me to keep it and just get another for those longer rides, I'm fine with that as I do love this bike for local area riding, but I think we would get more enjoyment out of riding together if we have the right bike for that, and one of these days I'll get it, but right now I'm sticking with the Fury.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
My personal belief is that many like me are new to bikes and didn't know what to exactly look for in a bike or know exactly what kind / distance we were going to ride the bike.

I have to admit that this is my first bike and I bought the Fury because it was a bad ass looking bike and was pretty affordable / payments where I needed them to be, now that I have the bike I realize that I would like to ride longer distances, would like a windshield, would like some storage, cruise control for those long trips.

Yeah the bike can have all that stuff added, but like others said it wasn't really meant for it and takes away from the lines/beauty of the bike.

I too have contemplated trading the Fury in for something made for the long hauls, but the wife wants me to keep it and just get another for those longer rides, I'm fine with that as I do love this bike for local area riding, but I think we would get more enjoyment out of riding together if we have the right bike for that, and one of these days I'll get it, but right now I'm sticking with the Fury.
I got the bike for solo riding originally....then the wife wanted to ride along on longer trips (prior to that she would occasionally ride for 30 minutes or so - but now she wants to take longer rides and I gotta have storage for her purse and junk)....a Goldwing would fit the bill for what she wants, but I wanted the Fury.......may one day get a Wing, but keeping the fury.....

·
Registered
276 Posts
I definatly got the right bike, Fu--ing love it. Didn't buy It for speed, already had all them bikes... Shit, at 70 mph feels like your going a buck ten gettin blown all over the place... Got it for looks, being unique, just looks awesome... Added the skull mirrors ( look awesome) can't see shit, blk Swepts, pcv, I love it.. Tho wouldn't mind some nice weather lol

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Yeah, see it's not just me. I am however, having a hard time getting past this, otherwise I have zero complaints.
i am having trouble with this one.we were on rt 85 yesterday do between 80 and 90 to keep from getting run over.i dont have any high speed problems at all.i dont have to fight the bars or the ride.dont know what to say.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I hear ya... I wasn't really complaining. People just complain that it will only go 100-110 but jeez if your going 150 or more your gonna get blown right off the god damn highway lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got the bike I need. I have a congenital hip problem. Front to back my legs work fine. It is when I try to spread them apart that I have issues. The fury is the only bike I have found that does not cause me pain when I ride it. The combination for forward controls and narrow tank afford me the opportunity to ride again. I have added the sissy bar for my wife’s comfort and the C&C seat for both of us. When I got the bike I told the dealer that I would probably never ride it over a couple hundred miles in a day. However I have logged over 700 in one day on the fury. It is not the perfect bike. But for me it is almost perfect. I don’t think I will ever get rid of it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
THO,,,, it was a windy day, and the weather here has been windy and shitty since spring... I'm sure the weather\Wind has alot to do with it... Like I said there is nothing what so ever I don't like about this
Bike

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
A lot of guys, especially newbies, buy the Fury without first really examining what they expect to do with it and what their performance expectations are. Typically, they buy it based strictly on its sexy looks and its "curb-appeal". Like ALL chopper-style bikes, it isn't and wasn't designed for doing long-haul, down-the-road, cross-country. And even after pouring-in tons of money, in an attempt to make it more comfortable with after-market seats, windshields, forwards, throw-off bags, etc., etc., it's still not a competent touring machine; you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! LOL. And, after you make all the expensive changes to make it marginally more comfortable and serviceable, you really don't have a chopper anymore, in the classical sense of the concept. Everybody wants a "universal", end-all, be-all, one-model-does-it-all motorcycle and, I'm sad to report, no such animal exists, or ever has for that matter. You simply can't take a farm-tractor to a sports-car race and expect to perform well! I suspect that one of the reasons we see so many low-time riders selling their Fury's and leaving the Forum is that it only took them a short while to discover the limitations of their new toy and to want something more practical.

Myself, I added my Fury to my shed-full of bikes strictly because I liked the simple, clean-cut, stripped-down looks of it, AND because my Harley chopper-mounted bar-hopping buddies kept giving me shit about my Goldwing. I seldom ride my Fury more than about 100 miles away from home. Any further than that and I drag-out the Concours or the Goldwing; for road-burning, I want the comfort and utility of a purpose-designed touring machine. Anyway, my long-winded two-bits............

Cheers
Agree with everything Bar said. Most all of us bought the Fury for it's awesome look and curb appeal, not to mention it's dependability and great ride. It's not a bagger and was never meant to be. Why spend thousands of dollars to turn it into one and lose everything the bike was originally meant to be and look like. I know the "make it my own" slogan, but hey guys, the friggin bike was made to look like a CHOPPER, not a GOLDWING or ULTRA GLIDE. I too take the 300 -400 road trips and have no complaints. I don't expect it to be as comfortable as a big bagger and don't mind the wind slapping me in the face. I knew that's they way it would be. Yeah, I would love to have the big bagger for longer rides, but can't afford both. So, I will ride this Fury until it no longer serves my purpose and then re-evaluate.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts