Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
what I Done is, the vacuum line coming from the rear head goes into the breather, modify for a brass T then run that line to the hyper charger VAC.

Now that being said when you hook up the unit let me know if your butterflies open or close upon acceleration

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what I started with and no they don't operate properly, the paddles only close momentarely when letting off the throttle

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
thats what I started with and no they don't operate properly, the paddles only close momentarely when letting off the throttle
But they open when you are on throttle?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
open all the time except for when you back off the throttle hard then they close for a second and open right back up

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the link, I'm going to leave it hooked to the exhaust vacuum because functionaly with it open all the time it will run fine and it still looks cool when I rap on the throttle.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
VAC was created on throttle so I went with it. functions fine for me so I is happy :D lol. I understand 460 also. The thread you referred to someone asked what the benefit to open butterflies??? answer RAM AIR.

think drag cars, butterflies open to allow more air, hence at speed air is force into the engine, so then the engine doesn't have to use as much horsepower to suck the air in, so basically forcing air in saves/creates horsepower for other purposes, say breaking 320mph?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
......answer: RAM AIR. Think drag cars, butterflies open to allow more air, hence at speed air is forced into the engine, so then the engine doesn't have to use as much horsepower to suck the air in, so basically forcing air in saves/creates horsepower for other purposes, say breaking 320mph?
For what it's worth, MyFuryRide, you're not getting enough "Ram Effect" on your Fury to even talk about; it would, in fact, be difficult to measure at typical Fury speeds. However, if you'd like to calculate it, here is the formula:

Dynamic Pressure (q) = ½ ρ V².

where q is the wind pressure, ρ is the mass density and V the velocity of the air. The mass density of the air is 1.292kg/m3 at 0°C or 1.204kg/m3 at 20°C.

For instance, at 60 MPH, a typical/average Fury speed, the Dynamic Pressure (what non-engineering types call "Ram") works out to be ~0.043 psi, which you'll immediately recognize to be 4/100 of 1 psi; as I said, difficult to measure (even with a sensitive digital Magna-Helic gauge) and virtually insignificant in terms of increasing power production. Now, if you want to run down the road at 100 mph, all the time, you might see some very slight benefit, however the rapidly-accumulating traffic fines might diminish your perception of "benefit". LOL.

I think I posted, in a previous thread, that the greatest benefit to be derived from the Hypercharger, the V-charger, or the latest offering from Cobra, is that you're moving the Intake Air pick-up point out from between the hot cylinders and into an area where it's exposed to much-cooler (read "denser") free-stream air-flow. Dropping the average temperature of the Intake Air increases power output significantly. As a rule of thumb, every 10-degree F. reduction in charge air temperature results in a 1% increase in charge density that equates to approximately a 1% increase in power output.

A bit long-winded (no pun intended), but I hope I've helped clarify some of the mysteries and misconceptions regarding "Ram", FWIW.........

Cheers

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Theoretical physics as applied to ram air induction really doesn't apply here according to L&M ...
Theoretical??? Ya, kinda' like the "theory" of gravity, or the "theory" that the sun is going to come up in the morning! LMAO. 'Nuff said........

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Someone didn't read the whole thread ???
I actually read most of it, but one post seemed contradict the next over and over. but no I didn't read entirely "My BAd" oh, thats another phrase i HATE!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Dropping the average temperature of the Intake Air increases power output significantly. As a rule of thumb, every 10-degree F. reduction in charge air temperature results in a 1% increase in charge density that equates to approximately a 1% increase in power output.

Cheers
want better horse power then ram air? may be fugly tho

Run you gas line to an aluminum coiled tubing inside a canister filled with ice!!

I understand what your saying Bar, well besides the big assed words and the +-#=6. I am not claiming massive hp from RAM AIR on the fury. I just stated the (BASIC) principle of ram air lol

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Theoretical??? Ya, kinda' like the "theory" of gravity, or the "theory" that the sun is going to come up in the morning! LMAO. 'Nuff said........
LMOA here to

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Actually, the Dynamic Pressure (Ram Effect) will be "felt" by any surface that is exposed to the passing airstream, whether it's "closed" or "open" (a wing, for instance), and will be at its peak value when the surface is "normal" (at 90º) to the airstream. The 'leading-edge" of an air-filter that is hanging-out, un-shrouded, in the airstream will experience the same Dynamic Pressure as one that is enshrouded, but open on the front and back. In the instance of a filter that is encased in a shroud that is only open on the "front" or leading-edge, the pressure will be uniformly distributed throughout the internal volume of the shroud, since air is a fluid and distributes pressure evenly in all directions. In this case, the "back" of the filter will experience the same pressure as the front. The reason that the Hyper-Charger and the V-Charger housings are open on the lower trailing-edge, I suspect, has more to do with the ability to discharge water, as when you're washing your bike or you encounter a down-pour while riding. Airplane filters are presented "dead-on" (90º) to airstream and are not vented on the backside, requiring the pilot to pull the knob labeled "Alternate Air" when passing through a deluge, or risk having the engine drown-out and quit. Does all of this make sense?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
I was under the same impression as you (having never looked beyond the intriguing operation of the vacuum operated flaps) until L&M revealed that the back side of the Hypercharger was open to atmosphere thereby diminishing the potential for performance gains from a ram air effect. Thus my comment to our resident master of eloquence.
Yes true, diminishing but not eliminating. the butterfly ports has a much larger (intake) area then the rear ports area. In essence creating the Ram air effect where air will have to be forced somewhere else, into motor?

Even superchargers on drag cars have the rear openings for debris or possibly water to be dispersed so not to enter the motor.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
I appears then that we agree that the performance benifits of Hypercharger "ram air" in our application are minimal ???
I agree the benefits regarding performance are minimal in the fury application.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
ram some nitrous in it.lol
I had a thought of setting up a functioning nitrous tank, but filled with air and purge at stop lights and watch people freak out. or the ol spark plug in the exhaust to blow some flames :D, now I gotta call a buddy for an extra tank to do this LMAO

1 - 20 of 28 Posts