Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. My name is Ryan. I'm 24 and I live at the Jersey shore and am (hopefully sooner than later) getting ready to become a Fury owner. After spending a few hours yesterday gawking at one in a local Honda/Suzuki showroom, I have made my decision. I'm not a very patient person and being from the Jersey shore, one shouldnt expect any different. So heres my problem.

I recently owned a 2009 Yamaha R1. Everyone always said to me "Theres 2 kinds of riders".....I'm sure you know the rest. Well I went down. HARD. 2 weeks ago, at one of our lovely jughandles around here or Jersey lefts as some call them, I was clipped or SMASHED IN TO by an elderly gentleman. Leathers are my friend so I have very minimal road rash and only a broken hand and ankle. My bike however is totaled.

I want to get back on a bike asap, but I'll be damned if it's gunna be another crotch rocket. Yes the situation would habve been the same on any bike, but the fact of the matter is, everytime I pulled out of my driveway, my fiance would look at me like it was the last time she's ever see me alive. I don't want her feeling like that anymore but I don't wanna stop riding either.

My cast will be off in another 5 weeks or so bringing us towards the end of september. Should I wait to buy this beast until early next year? Ill be 25 in February and my insurance will drop a bit and my fiance feels I should give myself some time of a bike. Or should I quit my pitty parade and go buy 1 when the cast comes off?

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
Should I wait to buy this beast until early next year? Ill be 25 in February and my insurance will drop a bit and my fiance feels I should give myself some time of a bike. Or should I ... go buy 1 when the cast comes off?

This year:
  1. + insurance
  2. bad politics
  3. still some pain/weakness
  4. only a few weeks riding left
  5. no ABS yet
  6. limited color selection?
  7. all winter to customize
  8. better $ deals in fall?
  9. bird in the hand
Next year:
  1. - insurance
  2. fiancé could extend time off
  3. injuries fully healed
  4. full season ahead
  5. ABS available
  6. rumored additional chopper models from Honda?
  7. ride stock or time out to customize
  8. price increase?
  9. anxiety
Prioritize your options and your choice will be made for you!

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
I was in a smiilar situation. In Early May I wrecked my Ducati 1098S and I went crazy with out a motorcycle to ride. Luckily I came across an Ad for the Fury, went down to a dealer and ended up putting a deposit down that day.

I have no patience and I don't regret the decision for shotgunning the new purchase :D

Good Luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I say go ahead and get it. You will probably always get that look, no matter what bike it is. I hope your hand feels better, and try to keep safe.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
With only a short time left to ride on the East coast I would say yes. This will give you a little time to ride and see how the Fury feels and then over the winter do what you want with it and have your bike ready for the new season next year. Me personally can not get enough riding mine... over 5,500 miles logged in two months... and cannot imagine not riding her atleast for a short time each day. I think the longest she has sat in the garage is two days and that was torture... so if you do the dive enjoy... if not, hope to see ya with one next season.
Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ryan,
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're OK.

I don't know if you're one of "those" guys (you know the ones on the crotch rockets, screaming down the road at 90 miles an hour with no helmet, wearing a wife beater and flip flops) but if thats you,. take a break.

On the other hand, if thats not you then,. why wait until Feb? It'll be cold in here on the east coast. Probably our coldest month.

The Fury is a great bike. At a time when it seems everyone has a sport bike and few people can even tell them apart, the Fury really stands out. This machine turns heads everywhere I go. I've never heard so many people compliment a bike. It is a thing of beauty.

I hit the pavement myself back in 88'. I was young and immortal back then. But a helmet and good leather saved my hide. I got another bike and kept riding until about 95' when my son was born. Thought about getting another one every spring since. It wasn't until I saw the Fury that I knew it was time to get back in the saddle. I ride carefully and always wear a helmet, but it's too damned hot for leather right now. At least now your gf knows that a motorcycle accident does not equal certain death.

While we are talking about accidents, I'd like to address some other members of the forums. You know who you are (wanting to take the rev limiter off your bike). Please be safe.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sounds to me like it's really down to a decision of following your heart or your head. When I bought my Fury, it was purely a decision if the heart. I saw it, fell in love with it and bought it. From the first time I saw it in Robb Report magazine, elapsed time to parking it in my driveway was about 2 weeks. That was about 2-1/2 months ago and the love affair continues. Truely a matter of the heart.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Sounds to me like it's really down to a decision of following your heart or your head. When I bought my Fury, it was purely a decision if the heart. I saw it, fell in love with it and bought it. From the first time I saw it in Robb Report magazine, elapsed time to parking it in my driveway was about 2 weeks. That was about 2-1/2 months ago and the love affair continues. Truely a matter of the heart.
Sundance,
Does your significant other know about your new love affair? :cool:
T

·
Registered
521 Posts
Welcome Ryan, I agree with junkie... plus, you've a few more weeks for your hand to heal. I think you'll know what you want to do by then.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Got the Fury back in May. Sold My GSXR 1000 last weekend. I dont miss it a bit!!!! You will become a better and safer rider with the Fury. Now get that cast off and go get the new bike:cool:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry man, can't help you with that one. Only you can decide what's right for you.:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts