Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently took off those ugly reflectors and I had some guy tell me that legally, you have to have them on. Sounds like nonsense to me, but has anyone else heard this? I can't believe a cop would even notice, let alone pull you over for not having reflectors on your bike. Not too worried about it, but was just curious. I ain't puttin' 'em back on. Bike looks too good without them.....except for that tiny little scratch I put on the back fender when my pliers slipped off the reflector.:eek:

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Not certain, but here's a link to state motorcycle laws
State-by-state motorcycle laws
Thanks for the link.

I always though my state [Louisiana] had sound decibel limits on bikes, guess I thought wrong.
Muffler No acoustical criteria.
Maximum Sound Level No acoustical criteria.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Don't think you have anything to worry about. I've had a cop look at my bike and he didn't say anything about them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The laws are different as per state, although our great Federal Government has made a law across the board that all motorcycles sold in the USA are to have reflectors on the sides and the back, along with two rear view mirrors. Now in the great state of Az we don't obied buy those laws, buy the time the bike is a day old there is nothing left of the reflectors, turn signals, mirrors, and emissions crap.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i checked missouri, and it didn't say anything about it (but we don't have to have turn signals either). but i do know of one instance where a guy on a BICYCLE got pulled over and fined for not having wheel reflectors lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am a cop and I the reflector crap off of my bike. I seriously doubt any cop is gonna bother with stopping a motorcyclist for not having a reflector on their bike....law or not.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have many cop friends that I ride with and I work at the cop shop.. they all have seen my bike and pointed out what wasn't legal.. and never once did they say anything about my reflectors (that aren't there). I'm with 7point6Two-Fury, law or not, I doubt they'd stop you for that.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Tony,

Thanks for the informative link! Alabama states that you can't ride bar to bar i.e. 2 motorcycles in one lane but we do it all the time. Recently went on a State Trooper ride and they did it too :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
FL

Just got don't reading FLORIDA laws and it seems you only need a pulse and gas to keep you riding to be on a motorcycle here.:)

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
One of my riding buddies this summer got pulled over. He got a warning for his loud exhaust was told his small signal lights where questionable but...... he did not get off on the NO FRIKEN REFLECTORS!!!!!!!!! Now seriously how do you even write up a ticket for that with a straight face?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am a Police Officer also. Like most have said here, most cops wouldn't notice, and if they did, wouldn't care. However, you always run the risk of running into the one who does know the law and would write his own mother a ticket. Also, be aware that even though there might not be a specific law about a loud exhaust, they can come at you with a general "EXCESSIVE NOISE" ticket. Personally, I feel that as long as you are not doing something on the bike that can get someone else hurt, I won't complain. Enjoy the ride!

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
When my buddies and I were riding to daytona - Arabian Knights Motorcycle Club (Veterans Club) we got pulled over in Seminole County Fl. They took pictures of our cuts (well there cuts im still a hang around). Then they said they pulled us over because custom exhaust was illegal. I was like thats an awesome reason, how come you havent pulled over any of the other 5 thousand bikers enroute to daytona.

Most of the motorcycle laws, including decibel laws, are there so they can pull you over and ascertain if your license, registration are good, and to ascertain if you have warrants.

The general conscencus around where I live is that bikers are up to no good.

The country wide bike laws are designed to either get dudes arrested or to make the state and local agencies money during recession time.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow. More feedback then I expected. Thanks guys. That's awesome. Tony Fury, thanks for the link to state motorcylce laws. I just looked up Kansas and they didn't say a thing about reflectors, and the loud pipes are not a problem either. Even if it was a law, I wouldn't think a cop would even notice or care either.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do not rely on the list of laws provided by the AMA as they are not comprehensive. I am a Police Officer in Philadelphia, and I know that there is a list of motorcycle equipment standards that are not listed on the AMA site. For example the listing for PA laws stated that there is no handlebar height restriction, which is incorrect. In PA, the handlebars can not be higher than shoulder level while the operator is properly seated. Do a web search for "MOTORCYCLE EQUIPMENT STANDARDS" for your state. 067 Pa. Code § 175.143. Steering.. Like the others stated, many police do not know the standards, but you have to watch out for the ones that do know and have nothing better to do.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Do not rely on the list of laws provided by the AMA as they are not comprehensive. I am a Police Officer in Philadelphia, and I know that there is a list of motorcycle equipment standards that are not listed on the AMA site. For example the listing for PA laws stated that there is no handlebar height restriction, which is incorrect. In PA, the handlebars can not be higher than shoulder level while the operator is properly seated. Do a web search for "MOTORCYCLE EQUIPMENT STANDARDS" for your state. 067 Pa. Code §*175.143.*Steering.. Like the others stated, many police do not know the standards, but you have to watch out for the ones that do know and have nothing better to do.

Good post!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Reflectors

I just recently took off those ugly reflectors and I had some guy tell me that legally, you have to have them on. Sounds like nonsense to me, but has anyone else heard this? I can't believe a cop would even notice, let alone pull you over for not having reflectors on your bike. Not too worried about it, but was just curious. I ain't puttin' 'em back on. Bike looks too good without them.....except for that tiny little scratch I put on the back fender when my pliers slipped off the reflector.:eek:
The police won't pull you over or ticket you for not having them on your bike. The problem will be when or if the bike has to be inspected, like if you sold the bike and the buyer had to have it inspected in order to get it on the road.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The police won't pull you over or ticket you for not having them on your bike. The problem will be when or if the bike has to be inspected, like if you sold the bike and the buyer had to have it inspected in order to get it on the road.
Eh...I don't plan on ever selling the bike. If I do get rid of it, it would be to trade it in on a new Honda Fury, if and when they come out with one. Besides, I can't put them back on. I crushed them with the pliers and threw them in the trash. If someone had to, they could just borrow some reflectors from their kid's bike and tape them on for inspection.

·
Premium Member
13,706 Posts
you guys are lucky.around here you have to be able to breath and shift gears to ride.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts