Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am collecting a number of upgrades to my Fury, but seems that's all I'm doing is collecting. I just don't have the time (and probably the skills for some) to install the goodies. So they sit there.

So I'm thinking of taking the Fury to Honda and having their mechanics put things together. I spoke with the service manager and he was vague on how much the installations would cost. His answer was always an hour and a half to two hours. I think they charge $90 something an hour. Seems like the pipes and forward controls would take much longer than the fuel controller and air intake.

Can anybody tell me what installation costs should be for the following upgrades.

Cobra swept pipes
Cobra FI2000R
Cobra Air Intake
Accutroinx 3" Extended Forward Controls
New hand grips (not selected yet)

I know they do a lot of the Cobra upgrades. He didn't sound too sure about the Accutronix controls. Should I trust them to get it right. I read the installation instructions on the Forum and sure scared me off.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I had my Cobra pipes and FI2000 installed at sale, they held bike overnite said it would take a few hours, I picked it up around 10 next day, I did the Power Flo intake myself, took about an hour, was pretty simple.oh and I had my Kury grips done by them also. They also put my chrome rims on for me, I havent had any issues with what work they did here at my dealer, all depends on whats behind door number 3, meaning I know my techs, and have for years, wish u luck

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Where do you live John ? There is a bunch of amazing fury experts on here, someone might be able to do the work for you for less than the dealer.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I installed the Forwards in a hour or two on my bike. The hardest part of the install is getting the old forwards out with the pipes on. If you are taking the pipes off it shouldnt be hard at all.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I can't give you a price but I can give you an idea of time

Can anybody tell me what installation costs should be for the following upgrades.

Cobra swept pipes - 1 to 1.5 hrs
Cobra FI2000R - 1/2 -1hr
Cobra Air Intake - 1/2 to 3/4 hr
Accutroinx 3" Extended Forward Controls - 4-5 hrs
New hand grips (not selected yet) 1- 1.5 hrs

I note that you did your forwards in 2 hrs, wow that's super fast. Supreme were saying 5 -6 hrs, Tony_Fury did his in 5 and using Tony_Fury's instructions I did mine in 4 hours (was the first ABS bike for the Supreme controls).

Everything you have listed can be done at home with a few tools, so if you have the time you may as well do it yourself. It does not matter if it takes you all day to change the grips, but you will have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and knowing it was done right.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
as mentioned above, it would benifit you to look around here for those who are close to you. I know all that you have mentioned above, i have installed on my own. Im not a mechanic by any means, but i figure why not give it a shot. If i screw it up, then ill have someone who has that niffty little cert on the wall ... you know the one ... the one that says they can cross thread a front axel with an education ... yeah ill have to pay them to fix it.

If you have to pay a mechanic, look into both a Honda Dealer and some local motorcycle mechanics. Me, personally, i would rather have a home garage mechanic tool on my car or bike. The big named dealers tend to have rookie wrench turners who honestly dont know their elbows from their assholes.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
do it yourself

thought i would throw this out there since i have done all of these myself and im not a mechanic at all.

Cobra swept pipes - 45 minutes.
Cobra FI2000R - 5-8 minutes
Cobra Air Intake - assuming you are using lownmean adaptor? 1 hr
if not much shorter
Accutroinx 3" Extended Forward Controls - took me abt two hours
New hand grips (not selected yet) - 10 minutes.

for what its worth. do these yourself. the only thing that is a pain in the ass is bleeding the rear brake line after you put the new one in. and its not hard just takes a majority of the time.

feel free to pm with questions on these installs

also where are you from might be someone in you area willing lend a hand.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Suggest doing everything yourself, cept tire changes unless you have the proper tools for that. Do yourself a favor if you can and just take 1 day out of the week to install your items. That means saying no to some people, otherwise you are just wasting the money you have spent on your aftermarket parts.

After you start spending some serious money on modifications, I can guarantee you that it is a 2:1 ratio, if not 3:1 ratio as far as money goes with having somebody else install your equipment. Doesn't sound like much, but once you start getting into the 1,000$'s of dollars, you can see how it will start adding up quick.

Might be somebody in your area that can help you out as well, just like captain fester said.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Most of your stuff are simple bolt ons. The forward controls portly most difficult bc you have to bleed the line. Get a shop manual and give it a try. I have done most of what's on yOur list and didn't take long or was it hard. Read tue instructions and go slow. You will be much happier when it's done.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Installing your goodies is just as much fun as buying them. Take the time to do it your self everything comes with instructions & low & mean have how to videos YOU CAN DO IT !:D

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
If you have any wrenching skills at all, buy yourself a shop manual and go step-by-step. If you take your time and ask questions here just about everything is doable with basic hand tools and a jack.

I'm even considering removing my final drive and forks myself and having them chromed when I get my chrome wheels. After installing my ape hangers, replacing the brake/throttle/clutch cables and extending the wiring for the controls myself, I'll feel capable of anything.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I did all of the mods you listed completely on my own sans the grips. So what? Well, this is my first motorcycle ever and it's really more simple than you think.

The hardest of any of them were the forward controls ... and Troy at Accutronix was always there for me over the phone if/when I ran into a glitch.

Per Troy's recommendations, I bled the brakes as best as I could, then took the bike into the shop for them to double-check the system and bleed the brakes properly ... $60 ... and they did a 1000% better job than I had done.

Take your time and do it yourself. It's all very much take off / put on for each item you've listed.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
i have a decent write up on the Accutronix forwards somewhere on here. I think its in the DYI. The only thing i remember was i had to completely tear down the factory rear brake, because i didnt remove my stock exhaust.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Installing your goodies is just as much fun as buying them. Take the time to do it your self everything comes with instructions & low & mean have how to videos YOU CAN DO IT !:D
I agree with diesel....it's a hell of a lot more fun to do it yourself, see how it all works and then stand back and stare at YOUR work. The Cobra pipes were on mine at purchase, the FI2000r is plug and play, intakes are no problem, cant comment on forwards and no, I don't mess with grips.

But, after changing all pegs, lowering the rear, changing the trees (of which figuring out how to disconnect those damn wire connectors behind the headlight took most of the time), installing sissy bar, installing LED's, changing all the cables, I'm very glad I did it myself and love to answer, ME, when someone asks "who does your work?" And keep in mind, if you don't know, there's a load of guys/gals here that do.

CTC6698

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Grips were the first thing that I tried on this bike, that was the easiest thing that I have done. Cut them down the center with a razor knife, peel the old ones off like a banana, then look at the parts in the bag and put the new parts on... use vice-grips on the lines to pull them on and off and above all, drink a beer. 10 minutes or less.

Still no service manual for me... Waiting for somebody to send me one out of the generosity of their heart... lol. Might be able to pull more monkey's out of my butt then... :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
Grips were the first thing that I tried on this bike, that was the easiest thing that I have done. Cut them down the center with a razor knife, peel the old ones off like a banana, then look at the parts in the bag and put the new parts on... use vice-grips on the lines to pull them on and off and above all, drink a beer. 10 minutes or less.

I had no freakn idea the things could be cut off...actually had no clue how to get them off so just handed them to the mechanic at first service.

see there, didn't know, now I do. Thanx RSS. Where were you when I was fighting those wire connectors. I was cussing L&M like crazy...1.5 hours to install 8* trees....took me that damn long to do the wires.:eek: Oh, my bad, I didn't ask, did I?

Haven't forgot you on the other stuff, either RSS.

CTC6698​

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
On changing exhaust gaskets, go to FAQs, Link, Easy Gasket Removal! And research how to loosen throttle cable by intake so you don't break inner throttle sleeve.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts