Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking to see if anyone has coated the inside of a new, or used exhaust to prevent bluing, or heat reduction to outer pipe.... What did you use, and notable difference? Also looking for DIY......

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
My ceramic guy coats inside and out. I'm not sure if it would prevent blueing but the inside coat is thicker than outside. I did notice about 2 minutes after the engine is cutoff I can touch the pipe and it's cool to the touch

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My ceramic guy coats inside and out. I'm not sure if it would prevent bluing but the inside coat is thicker than outside. I did notice about 2 minutes after the engine is cutoff I can touch the pipe and it's cool to the touch
Thank you! I would have to believe that by ceramic coating the inside would have some value, as you stated being able to touch 2 minutes after shutting down that the heat is dissipating rapidly, keeping the internal pipe from absorbing the heat, moisture.... wonder if any of the DIY silicon ceramic, or semi ceramic coatings are worth a shot... IE: Eastwood, VHT Flame proof, DEI, Rust-Oleum, Por15 etc... I would imagine 1500* ~ 2000* deg-F would be advisable...

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Thank you! I would have to believe that by ceramic coating the inside would have some value, as you stated being able to touch 2 minutes after shutting down that the heat is dissipating rapidly, keeping the internal pipe from absorbing the heat, moisture.... wonder if any of the DIY silicon ceramic, or semi ceramic coatings are worth a shot... IE: Eastwood, VHT Flame proof, DEI, Rust-Oleum, Por15 etc... I would imagine 1500* ~ 2000* deg-F would be advisable...
I don't have much trust in any diy ceramic. I have had to redo a few sets that my old ceramic guy did. The new guy I have doing my stuff is certified and he did some turbo harley shields for me. They still look great. I do know that inner ceramic and outer are different. Your first bend of your exhaust reaches about 650°

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just checking to see if anyone has coated the inside of a new, or used exhaust to prevent bluing, or heat reduction to outer pipe.... What did you use, and notable difference? Also looking for DIY......
Its been a while since anyone has asked for ID coating on chrome pipes. Best case scenario was a very minimal yellow / gold color at the top the pipe. This was contingent on a quality pipe, plating and more importantly, PROPER tuning.....

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
My MFR's are ceramic coated on the inside, and chromed on the outside, then wrapped except for the last two feet. I can't say about blueing, as I've never removed the wrap. But even though the pipes do get hot, of course, they do cool down pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My MFR's are also coated and so far I only have a minimal gold starting to pop thru at the tops of the pipes. Also have some finger prints burnt into them but that's a different horse.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Okay, well I have decided to do a DIY Internal Exhaust Coating. So after much reading, and consideration I have decided to go with Eastwood Internal Exhaust Coating. Hey if nothing else it might possibly help with outer pipe temp, rust, corrosion, and bluing...

So while cleaning, scuffing I did notice some light surface type rust, slag, and etc... Washed out of the pipe obviously from heating , cooling, and moisture from welding, and chroming process.... Why bother you ask? Well it's a new pipe, I am stuck indoors, and if it helps a little bit to conserve such a sexy pipe from rust, temp control, corrosion, and or bluing then job well done.... Oh, and of course Pictures to follow... ;)

Some of the other DIY products required baking @ several temps, allowing for cooling in between, but this one only requires some prep, and an 18 hour curing time... So I have washed out, and scuffed the pipe internally as best I can, are now taping, covering all chrome before application.. This product states that should be done in temps between 70*~90* deg, and less than 50% humidity, so I am going to set up a table, Eden Pure in my basement, and let the dogs out for a bit ;) Oh, and turn off all pilot lights, and crack open a few windows...:D

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Would you mind giving some more details on the Eastwood coating you are using?... like temperature ratings and possible claims made by the manufacturer. Thanks
For you, Kbuskill.... Absolutely ;) Possible claims: 1, Reduces under hood and under car temp... 2, Prevents corrosion and extends the life of exhaust components... 3, Withstands extreme temperatures up to 1,800*F... 4, For use on headers, exhaust manifolds, and exhaust tubing...

So if the product works as stated? It should reduce OD temp of said pipe, corrosion protection internally, and heat protection should nullify rust, bluing of pipe... Not that I am horribly concerned as this is a double walled pipe, but hey I am having fun with it.... Maybe someone with the same pipe could shoot a Infrared Laser Thermometer on it? I will post up mine as well....

Would love to do a before, and after temp test of the outside of pipe, but I want to get this pipe on the bike pretty soon! And did not want to do the extra cleaning process after running the pipe on the bike.... Spring Mod is up next...! ;)

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
For you, Kbuskill.... Absolutely ;) Possible claims: 1, Reduces under hood and under car temp... 2, Prevents corrosion and extends the life of exhaust components... 3, Withstands extreme temperatures up to 1,800*F... 4, For use on headers, exhaust manifolds, and exhaust tubing...

So if the product works as stated? It should reduce OD temp of said pipe, corrosion protection internally, and heat protection should nullify rust, bluing of pipe... Not that I am horribly concerned as this is a double walled pipe, but hey I am having fun with it.... Maybe someone with the same pipe could shoot a Infrared Laser Thermometer on it? I will post up mine as well....

Would love to do a before, and after temp test of the outside of pipe, but I want to get this pipe on the bike pretty soon! And did not want to do the extra cleaning process after running the pipe on the bike.... Spring Mod is up next...! ;)
Thanks for the props;)

So it sounds very comparable to the VHT ceramic paint as far as temperature ratings go.

I sprayed both the inside and outside of my pipes with the VHT ceramic paint before I wrapped them with the Titanium header wrap that is made by melting lava rock (volcanic glass) and using that to make the fiberglass header wrap... they claim 3000°... it works pretty well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the props;)

So it sounds very comparable to the VHT ceramic paint as far as temperature ratings go.

I sprayed both the inside and outside of my pipes with the VHT ceramic paint before I wrapped them with the Titanium header wrap that is made by melting lava rock (volcanic glass) and using that to make the fiberglass header wrap... they claim 3000°... it works pretty well.
I almost did the flame proof VHT @ 2000* F.... But figured 1800* F is more than enough , and this is a relatively new product, so what the hay.... Also I had some Amazon B-day card money left, so no outta pocket ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
***So all done for now, waiting on curing time 8~12hrs... The coating came out real nice, and smooth... Sorry pictures were hard to take, but here ya go it looks great, literally covered in one coat "grey in color". To anyone trying this I would recommend plenty of ventilation initially. Once it starts to dry the smell starts to dissipate rapidly. Now that this is done I should be able to install the pipe this weekend! :D New gaskets in hand and warmer weather on it's way!

P.S. This stuff is under some serious pressure, and really comes out of the supplied hose, and sprays like a fan as stated in the directions. The hose has a brass tip on the end with little holes in it, and worked flawlessly dispersing the coating in every direction, coating in one application... Okay, thus far I am happy with the results, hopeful that my time and efforts has done some good as a prevention from rust, corrosion, outer pipe temp, and bluing...

Thumper...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
***So all done for now, waiting on curing time 8~12hrs... The coating came out real nice, and smooth... Sorry pictures were hard to take, but here ya go it looks great, literally covered in one coat "grey in color". To anyone trying this I would recommend plenty of ventilation initially. Once it starts to dry the smell starts to dissipate rapidly. Now that this is done I should be able to install the pipe this weekend! :D New gaskets in hand and warmer weather on it's way!

P.S. This stuff is under some serious pressure, and really comes out of the supplied hose, and sprays like a fan as stated in the directions. The hose has a brass tip on the end with little holes in it, and worked flawlessly dispersing the coating in every direction, coating in one application... Okay, thus far I am happy with the results, hopeful that my time and efforts has done some good as a prevention from rust, corrosion, outer pipe temp, and bluing...

Thumper...
I would be really interested if this actually reduces the heat.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I would be really interested if this actually reduces the heat.
Copy that, Evo.. Going to see if I can do a test here shortly, as STG stated "The first bend of the head pipe should hit approx: 650*" Going to stop by harbor freight and grab a Infrared Laser Thermometer $20.00~ish and see if anyone else with this pipe wants to do the same... Also, I cannot imagine there would be much of a difference from one pipe to another? Especially if we were to check the temp at a certain run time say 10 minutes at the first bend of the head pipe on any given pipe...???

If the stuff works I have some headers on a 85' Toyota 4x4 I might coat as well... I could still check the temp of mine and see where it hits... Get back to you shortly, or more likely this weekend...;) Going to try and do the shock mod as well, while I have some of the bike tore down...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts