Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning guys. I could use a little honest input and would like to know what those of you think that have ridden a bike with ABS or even the Fury ABS.

A little background:
I road a bit (dirt bike) when I was a kid but hadn't ridden since I was 13. Last year (at age 29) I decided to get back in the saddle and pick up my first street bike, a Boulevard C50T. I participated in the riders training course and passed my test with flying colors. It was very natural to get back on a bike. Last summer I put on about 5000kms and I got a few hundred on this spring already. I have been in a few close calls or "undesirable situations" as some would say and have been fortunate to come out standing up and without a scrape (knock on wood). As some of you know I have been waiting on my fury for a long time. My dealer has finally hooked me up with a bike, a black ABS and they can get it here for me in about 2 weeks. The thing is that the ABS is $1000 more than what they had originally quoted me. Now, I can afford that and the extra money isn't really an issue. I was just wondering if I should hold out and save the $1000 (because really, a $1000 saved is good thing), or, go ahead with the deal knowing that perhaps one day the ABS could really save my skin.

I know what ABS is for and what it should do. In its simplest, in a hard braking situation the ABS will keep the tires from locking up, thus allowing the rider to help better maintain control of the bike which will give the rider a better chance to avoid the obstacle/obstruction.

Now I think that the one time that I get into a situation where I require some very hard and aggressive braking and I get that extra split second to keep the bike under control and could possibly save my skin and/or my life one day, then I think that is it totally worth it. Now, obviously as I stated above, I really only have 1 summer of street riding experience, not as nearly as much as some of you seasoned vets out there. So the ABS could definitely save my skin one day whereas some of you guys have that extra 10-20 or 30 years of riding experience that I lack.

I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
53 Posts
great question. I too would like to know how these feel and brake. I have already enjoyed these first 2 weeks I've had my Fury. I did consider the ABS model but I figured that I have been riding since I was 9 (now 51) and got by without abs brakes - that I would pass on getting one with them now.

Put me in the "just wondering?" catagory.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you got the experience you probably don't need the abs, you can probably stop your bike on bad road conditions without laying it down.

But and this is the point where it counts for me, are you going to stop the bike within the same distance without abs as with abs?

Probably not, I have read somewhere that only the most skilled race drivers have the skill to apply the brakes optimally. So abs is more or less a computerized brake like a gp driver assistance.

Sadly abs won't work in corners.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Riding both types of bikes I think it is more valuable on the CBR1000RR (mine isn't ABS) than a Fury or cruiser style bike just because of the difference in riding nature between the 2. Just my nickles worth.

·
Registered
829 Posts
They did not have the ABS when I got my bike otherwise I would have gone ahead and bought it. If it helps you stop better at all, it would be worth the $1k extra the first time you really need to stop. I am sure many people thought they did not need them in cars either when they first came out, but now they are standard. Just my thoughts, but also rem that I think the ABS limits your color choices.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
I would have got it and it is woth it just looks ugly for now! They will come up with new block in future, one that is prettier.

ABS ARE BETTER THAN REGULAR BRAKES IN ALMOST EVERY BRAKE TEST BIKE OR CAR! No lock up even in water so up keep control during braking oh and keep applying pressure, EVEN to ABS, to stop vehicles most people don't push hard thinking ABS will stop them sooner not true.

I was reading the stopping distance is a lot shorter/better a 30 mph with ABS then without. Thats the ticket!

I have owned and rode bike since I was 12.

28 years of riding and 4 bikes later! Only one crash that ABS would have helped me!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't seen an ABS fury...what is the physical difference? What is this 'block' that you speak of?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
I haven't seen an ABS fury...what is the physical difference? What is this 'block' that you speak of?
You have more plumbing, and a block I would think, to route fluids, that controls the fluid being pumped the ABS uses a piston to drive the oil I believe, so you need extra tubes to route fluid back to Master Cylinder. When you apply extra firm pressure there a piston that opens and closes rapidly to stop full lock up. This goes to the front and rear.

ABS Fury Has 3 tier type plumbing branch under tank/fork area a bit fugly!

Clueless tried to explain if someone wanted to add this feature after market, he is a Mechanic for Honda. Said its to expensive after market because they can do it so well at build, that the extra 400.00 or so on list for the ABS.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The only area where ABS doesn't work is on gravel surfaces. Everywhere else ABS is better when traveling at speed.

Agree the ABS plumbing could probably have been done better to keep it within the custom styling. Its almost like it was an after thought and chucked on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured as much that the 'block' was for the ABS module, but was unsure about how the plumbing was ran. Does anyone happen to have any pictures of this?

One of the main reasons that I am buying this bike, aside from performance and quality is the appearance of it. So if it looks like 'arse' with the ABS plumbing I might just pass on it and go for just a regular fury.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I do not want a motorcycle with ABS! If you want a special sense of security, you can buy a Mortorrad with ABS.

Many do not know: ABS not working in the curve. I ride motorcycles for 25 years. I was perhaps a once in a dangerous situation.
Through my experience I could control the bike.

In Germany at least 90% of new motorcycles are purchased with ABS! For us that is modern and contemporary.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ok here's my .02c on it.

Is it "worth" it?

Yes if ABS makes the bike safer and can get you a deduction on insurance.

No because it costs an extra $1000, the dealers here dont have any ABS models, the dealers would rather sell you what's on the floor instead of ordering.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I figured as much that the 'block' was for the ABS module, but was unsure about how the plumbing was ran. Does anyone happen to have any pictures of this?

One of the main reasons that I am buying this bike, aside from performance and quality is the appearance of it. So if it looks like 'arse' with the ABS plumbing I might just pass on it and go for just a regular fury.
Check out the pics of my bike, it has ABS. We only get the ABS version here in Australia. The ABS on this bike is first class, you don't even realise it has ABS until it kicks in and then is is smooth and controlled. I'd pay the extra as it is well worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been in only one serious MC crash and ABS would have kept me from locking the rear wheel in that max brake situation. I had ABS on my Wing and practiced maximum braking from high speed every chance I got. I consider it a safety measure to be used against all the drivers out there who don't pay attention (about 90%).
I'll take any advantage I can to keep my butt off the ground and I consider ABS to be one of the best of those.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ABS Brakes Historical

With utter respect to all the responses to your question, vehicle brakes used to comprise of cables around pulleys that pulled brake shoes against a drum, it was a magnificient system for the early nineteen hundreds. I'm a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Dealer in Australia and I remember when ABS came to cars. The questions and responses were exactly the same, but fifteen plus years later nobody even talks about it and it's a standard feature in all cars sold in Aus. If ABS works for you just once in your life it is worth it. I have not used mine in anger yet but I use the combined braking system every time I brake, on everytime I ride, which is every day, and it is magnificent. Cars have had brake pressure distribution systems for decades, imagine stopping your car with two pedals? We must reinforce our uniqueness as riders but we need to move into the twenty first century while we're doing it, Our kids and grandkids will be riding machines like that funky personal transport thing that Honda showed recently, whether we like it or not. Mungo climbs down from his soapbox now....

·
Registered
202 Posts
That vid looked like a prime example of an inexperenced rider to me!
Canoemasher what kind of leather and lid do you wear? It's hard to put a price on your skin ,I would think ABS would be a definite benifit to an inexperenced rider.
I've had a good look @ an ABS model and they do have a lot of extra plumbing, but it might pay off one day.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have been on bikes for over 12 years, never had to use ABS, would consider it alot more if honda had it cleaner looking but it is also more parts to potentially break. ABS wasnt out when i got mine, but to me it wasnt worth the extra 1k and wait

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
If I were purchasing the bike now, I would pay the extra 1k for it. Sometimes you need a little extra help on the road. If it were feasable to put it on my bike, I would even consider it, but it's not.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts