Honda Fury Forums: banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have to agree, if you are experienced enough, you probably would not be needing the extra feature ABS would bring to the table. I mean, it is all about how you deal with your braking. If you are not too sure with how it is going to hold up, you might as well oblige with it and get the extra safety. But if you let it slide, it would not be of much help either so you still have to work within your limits.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
ABS is for unexpected emergencies that exceed human capabilities just like the air bag and any other preemptive device ;). In 7000 miles I am not aware of having activated it accidentally (I have successfully tested it going down hill on loose gravel) but I don't have to worry about how close to the activation threshold I may have come. I would pay the extra money again just to have the linked braking that comes with. If you haven't tried both you really can't pass judgement. One feature is for safety, the other for convenience.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I have to agree, if you are experienced enough, you probably would not be needing the extra feature ABS would bring to the table. I mean, it is all about how you deal with your braking. If you are not too sure with how it is going to hold up, you might as well oblige with it and get the extra safety. But if you let it slide, it would not be of much help either so you still have to work within your limits.
I have had ridden both ABS and non ABS Fury's, even if you leave aside the saftey aspect of ABS, the ABS bike out brakes the non ABS bike. You have larger calipers & brake pads plus more pistons on the ABS model. In my view the ABS is well worth the small extra cost.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
... the ABS bike out brakes the non ABS bike.
The only Fury I have ever ridden is my own ABS model and that was after I paid for it; talk about a leap of faith :rolleyes:. I always thought the brakes were more than adequate on our model and the best part is you can ignore the hand brake, stand on the brake pedal and the bike stops real smoothly with no nose dip or rear tire lockup. The pedal brake by itself is amazing on loose surfaces where there is sand or gravel :D.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
My next bike is gonna have ABS.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
124 Posts
If I ever had the choice, I would get ABS. Remember on the Fury, the ABS is also Combined braking, meaning when you rear brake, some of the front brakes too and the other way around. I have had some close calls (some my fault, others not) and i seriously think that without abs I would have gone down.

As for braking in a curve, if you have to....straighten up, brake a little and correct as soon as possible.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
when you rear brake, some of the front brakes too and the other way around.
Not "the other way around". The hand lever aka front brake only operates the two outboard pistons of the front caliper. It does not activate the rear brake at any time on the linked brake system made for the Fury.

The brake pedal aka rear brake is permanently connected (linked) to both pistons of the rear caliper and the middle piston of the front caliper.

Honda does offer a far more sophisticated "combined" braking system on other lines that operates "the other way around".

Sent from my Google Phone

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Some say that experienced riders don’t need ABS but I think all riders will occasionally encounter an emergency situation where no amount of experience can match the function of ABS. Those can be life or death situations.

Last weekend, I had my wife on the back of a Harley Ultra Classic (non-ABS) and we had to brake hard at one point. I’m new to two-up riding and didn’t realize just how much the extra weight of a passenger affects braking distance (a lot!). I think I was very close to locking up the tires but luckily made the stop safely.

We put 600 miles on that Harley and had a great time. The prior two weekends we took day trips on a Goldwing which is also a great machine. Comparing those two bikes was very interesting. Now I'm hot for a touring bike.:D

61 - 70 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.