Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to find a led headlight that will be a direct swap for the current bulb/lens setup.

I am using an hid kit but it gets hot and maybe im crazy but i think it flickers when i whack the throttle which is no good.

i saw that post about the one form aliexpress. is anyone running it or something else that will fit in the headlight housing?

I like the look of the housing just want to switch the light.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you referring to the Harley LED replacement circular headlights? I dont have them in my bike, but a buddy has them in his wrangler. They are a little brighter than stock halogens, but not as bright as some HID's in my opinion. On the other hand they are very durable and long lasting (in his case for off road vibration. On the other hand they go for like 400$ each dont they?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea i just hear alot of talk about the led lights being better so i wanted to see what everyone here thought.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I have no idea i just hear alot of talk about the led lights being better so i wanted to see what everyone here thought.
Yep, they are good but not good enough to justify the huge amount of money. Wait a couple of years until they become affordable :rolleyes:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I really want to find a led headlight that will be a direct swap for the current bulb/lens setup.

I am using an hid kit but it gets hot and maybe im crazy but i think it flickers when i whack the throttle which is no good.

i saw that post about the one form aliexpress. is anyone running it or something else that will fit in the headlight housing?

I've got the led halo installed, Love it!

·
Registered
2014 Honda Fury
21 Posts
I just used a Harley Dyna 5.75” LED off of Amazon and it fit great. If I want the RGB halo I’ve gotta run another wire for that cuz that’s a separate wire on the headlight but the plug for the main LED works

·
Registered
980 Posts

I didn't changed to the Daymaker, I bought a LED bulb and stayed with the factory bucket. I really like it. Made a huge difference at night.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Administrator
3,663 Posts
When I was younger and some old, crusty dude said I probably didn't want to do something I was set on doing, I probably would have done it anyway and learned the hard way why his experience said "don't do that." So, here's a kind thought from an old crusty dude you may want to stash for future reference:

The reflectors in your headlight are pain-stakingly designed to reflect light from a filament oriented in a particular direction at an exact position to create a specific lighting pattern that works under a variety of conditions. Unless your replacement bulb emits light from exactly the same spot as the original you should change the reflector and bulb at the same time to create a pattern that hopefully improves on OEM.

To modify the OEM headlamp:
  • Put your motorcycle outside of a garage or large wall at night, on a stand so it is level.
  • Shine the headlight on the flat surface.
  • Use painter's tape to mask out the OEM beam pattern for both Low and High beams.
  • Take a picture and make a sketch of how bright the beam is in each area it changes brightness, including on the ground..
  • Make your intended changes to the headlight assembly and repeat the information collection process.
By doing this I've found:
  • In almost all bulb-swap cases where the light source is not replicated exactly, oncoming traffic is blinded unless tilting the light down "too far" and causing a blinding puddle right in front of the vehicle with very little beam throw. I have been able to twist and shim a few bulbs into a position that works, but it generally takes a large assortment of bulbs and shims to find a combination that works.
  • In most inexpensive headlight assembly swaps (bulb and reflector) the resulting pattern is worse than OEM.
  • Most "affordable" LEDs emit a narrow bandwidth of light, so dark colored flat-textured things like green grass absorb instead of reflect the light, so deer and other animals aren't easily seen. Conversely, street signs are blinding.
  • Good headlights like JW Speaker--like most better-than-OEM parts--come with a reasonable price tag for what they do.
Also note, it's legal to use turn indicators as driving lights as long as they have a flashback circuit that changes to blinking yellow/orange to indicate a turn.

It's advisable to use DOT approved lights because they work well under the variety of driving conditions most people are likely to find themselves in, whereas non-DOT approved lights tend to work well in a subset of conditions and may inadvertently lead to more risk in certain situations.

As you well know I'm not your mom and what you do--and the outcomes--are your business. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do your signals flash yellow. I have a US Fury in UK. Our signals are off unless signaling while US bikes are constantly on and Flash off. Not sure if this will cause me problems in my annual MOT. (Vehicle inspection )
Mine flash white. In the U.S. front signals must be white or amber.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
There is a LED that will run white and flash yellow. I just decided to go all white.
You should look up your state laws. Turn signals cannot flash white. I would go with switchbacks honestly so you at least get orange turn signals. You're just putting yourself out there to get pulled over, or not be seen by motorists at night. It's hard to distinguish flashing white lights and headlights since it washes together.

Also, @WI_Hedgehog is right about dropping an LED or HID in reflector housing. Not only does the light source emitted have to be at the same distance, but HOW HID and LED light is created compared to a filament bulb is much different. No matter what you do, it will always blind people oncoming and not be as quality light for you, the rider. You want people to see you, not close their eyes because they can't see through your intensely, unfocused, scattered light.

Coming from a crusty not-old dude.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have checked in all states that I have ridden in so far. Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina. White front signals are either allowed or not specified. But as you suggested I have ordered LED white/amber switchbacks. Better to have all the bases covered you know.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D2WKM1O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as the LED headlight it does not seem to be any less effective as the OEM. No blinding and still a nice distribution of light. Having installed LEDs in several other vehicles I know how hit or miss it is. I think I got lucky with the LED bulb I purchased.
That is why I ordered a spare. :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Do your signals flash yellow. I have a US Fury in UK. Our signals are off unless signaling while US bikes are constantly on and Flash off. Not sure if this will cause me problems in my annual MOT. (Vehicle inspection )
My signals are always on, and flash brighter. In my state we cannot have white signals on the back, but front you could.

Reactions: Gizmo and JayC
1 - 17 of 17 Posts