Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think from now on, I'm just gonna' tell everyone that I built this bike in my kitchen last year. Everyone that sees this bike asks me if it's custom and who built it? I haven't even debadged it yet. It was kinda' neat at first, but I'm almost getting tired of telling them 2-3 times that it's a Honda, because they don't believe me. I can't imagine the reaction that No Fury gets if/when he tells them his bike is a Honda, but as much as he's done to it, I think there may be very little Honda left to it.:cool:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Steveo;

I can empathize. I live and hang out in an area that embodies an inordinate number of motorcyclists, the majority of them itinerant and Harley-mounted (we're a biker "destination" kinda place). Unlike you, I have de-badged, de-stickered, and covered-up everything on my Fury that could possibly reveal its pedigree, except for the Fury sticker on the rear fender. It's incredible how many guys (or biker sweeties, since they see it as something cool that they could straddle and actually get both feet on the ground) will go to inordinate pains to track me down just to discover "what is that thing, and who made it?" It can get a little disconcerting/annoying when you're in a restaurant/pub/saloon with friends and some neanderthal/knuckle-dragger hollers out, "Hey, who owns this chopper out here?", and then expects a time-consuming line-and-verse expose' and revelation. My friends have all been instructed not to readily identify me as the owner, and sometimes, as suits my mood and fancy, I sit quietly and ignore the query. Since I have the only Fury in the whole area, the interest was really fun and flattering at first, but has now become, these many months later, mainly annoying, although, as a properly self-respecting dirty old man, I still go out of my way to enlighten the interested sweeties, especially the young, pretty ones. LOL

Cheers

·
Banned
143 Posts
i de-badged as well and get asked who made it all the time....still don't get much love from the harley guys, they spot the radiator like they have radar for it...the irate grill I have dresses it up some. One of these times I wanna tell someone I did it in my garage and go with it and see how long it takes em to call my bluff!!

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I don't care how many times I'm asked...I have owned only Honda bikes for 30 years. I tell them, when asked, it's a Honda Fury. Plain, simple and honest. I especially like the part where I tell them the price. :eek: I'm not looking for any approval...I know what I like. I do the same with the VTX.

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
I don't care how many times I'm asked...I have owned only Honda bikes for 30 years. I tell them, when asked, it's a Honda Fury. Plain, simple and honest. I especially like the part where I tell them the price. :eek: I'm not looking for any approval...I know what I like. I do the same with the VTX.
i agree with fury10.if they dont like what i ride they dont have to pull up next to it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I rode my bike the first time to work after i bought it and one of my co-workers asked how long it took me to build it. I told him it only took the weekend, good thing it was a three dayer.....

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steveo;

Since I have the only Fury in the whole area, the interest was really fun and flattering at first, but has now become, these many months later, mainly annoying, although, as a properly self-respecting dirty old man, I still go out of my way to enlighten the interested sweeties, especially the young, pretty ones. LOL

Cheers
Yeah, I wouldn't mind so much either if it was young hotties doing the questioning. The only female that I've had ask me about it annoyed me, because she was looking right at the final drive and asked me if it was chain or belt.:eek: I didn't say it, but I thought about saying, "Do you see a freakin' sprocket on the back wheel?"

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't get me wrong. I'm proud to ride a Honda and all my life that's what I've ridden, (other than the YZ100 Yamaha dirt bike). I just get tired of them arguing with me when I try to tell them that it's a Honda. That's why I just want to make up some quick story that I built it, or some guy I know built it for me. It was fun at first, but now I just want to hear, "Nice bike.", and move on down the road, ya know?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Get used to it... I have had the "Is it a Harley?" question asked so many times I can't remember about the VTX. I can already see double the remarks on this bike. I just try to be nice and not let it aggravate me but to be truthful, I really don't want to talk about it :)
I just want to ride -----> It's usually at gas stations anyways and Lord knows we see enough of them ;)

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Get used to it... I have had the "Is it a Harley?" question asked so many times I can't remember about the VTX. I can already see double the remarks on this bike. I just try to be nice and not let it aggravate me but to be truthful, I really don't want to talk about it :)
I just want to ride -----> It's usually at gas stations anyways and Lord knows we see enough of them ;)
True...I can relate. I had 3 people come up to me at a gas station the other day. I just give them the same reply...Honda...Fury...2010, then I wait for the "how much" question. I just keep filling the tank as I give them the price. If they are die hard Harley guys they just walk away and if they are truely bike lovers, most just smile and nod their heads. It's all good. It was posted a while back about if you don't want to talk to people then don't own this bike...I have found that to be a true statement. :D And, Steveo, it does get old sometimes, but you gotta admit some reactions are better than others. :)

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And, Steveo, it does get old sometimes, but you gotta admit some reactions are better than others. :)
Yeah, you're right. Sometimes it's pretty cool, but when they act like I'm lying to them, that's what gets old.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have actually had a couple of guys on Harleys pull up next to me at a stoplight and pop the "nice bike" on me. Seems pretty odd that they find out it is a Honda at the same time the light changes and they takeoff rather quickly. Heh. Guess they don't want to let their Harley buddies see them checking out a Honda.

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just thought I'd bump this back up, because after riding this bike for almost 2 years now, I still get so many people checking it out.

I haven't washed the thing since last summer, it's covered with the splattered corpses of thousands of bugs, and it's dusty and dirty. Still they stare at it and tell me what a nice bike it is. This last weekend I'm in the gun shop talking with a friend and he says, hey, you got some guys out there checking out your bike. I look out the window and there's two guys walking all around it, pointing to it, talking about it......it's crazy.

I guess I need to wash it since so many people are so interested in it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Just thought I'd bump this back up, because after riding this bike for almost 2 years now, I still get so many people checking it out.

I haven't washed the thing since last summer, it's covered with the splattered corpses of thousands of bugs, and it's dusty and dirty. Still they stare at it and tell me what a nice bike it is. This last weekend I'm in the gun shop talking with a friend and he says, hey, you got some guys out there checking out your bike. I look out the window and there's two guys walking all around it, pointing to it, talking about it......it's crazy.

I guess I need to wash it since so many people are so interested in it.

You know... sometimes it does get annoying giving the same speech over and over, but what's nice is if you're ever really bored or just wanna bullshit or talk to some strangers just go to the nearest gas station and stand next to your bike. You'll be bullshitting with strangers within 5 minutes!

Just remember sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad. :cool: And putting up with that kind of stuff is just the price you pay for riding on pure 2-wheeled excellence.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Love my bike and don't mind at all saying it's a Honda. I get the "NO WAY" all the time, then just smile and ride off.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Love my bike and don't mind at all saying it's a Honda. I get the "NO WAY" all the time, then just smile and ride off.
amen to all those posts

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
I just got this action this weekend at the gas station, guy in a Saab with a wallet chain starts ogling my bike. I've had lots of "what kind is it", expect even more now with the custom bars.

I don't mind saying it's a Honda. I'll go farther and say "yep, water cooled, fuel injected, starts every time, no leaks, no belt to replace, no chain to lube, doesn't overheat in traffic, just pure riding enjoyment."

The one one thing keeping me from going for the Irate grill is that it actually draws attention to the radiator. Honda did a good job of hiding the radiator, I'm not ready to undo their skill and make it a center of attention.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts