Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Honda Fury
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I know I've posted a lot lately... I guess you guys are too much fun to write with lol. Anyway, I noticed this morning that the exhaust was spitting liquid drops onto the pavement, when I revved it it's even more. Is this cause for concern? Is it super rich or just normal water from the process or what? I live in the desert so we get scared when we see water.

CS

·
Registered
2010 Honda Fury
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all, I know I've posted a lot lately... I guess you guys are too much fun to write with lol. Anyway, I noticed this morning that the exhaust was spitting liquid drops onto the pavement, when I revved it it's even more. Is this cause for concern? Is it super rich or just normal water from the process or what? I live in the desert so we get scared when we see water.

CS
I should mention too that I think it smells extremely rich.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Yes, you should be concerned. Sounds like you have water leaking into the cylinder. Probably the head gasket.

Our bike don't run rich, if you are getting that much unburnt fuel sounds like the plugs are not firing correctly. Start by swapping out the plugs with a new set. Your bike should be running dangerously lean with a high flow air cleaner and no fuel controller. The bike runs on the lean side from the factory to comply with emission laws.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Fury
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you should be concerned. Sounds like you have water leaking into the cylinder. Probably the head gasket.

Our bike don't run rich, if you are getting that much unburnt fuel sounds like the plugs are not firing correctly. Start by swapping out the plugs with a new set. Your bike should be running dangerously lean with a high flow air cleaner and no fuel controller. The bike runs on the lean side from the factory to comply with emission laws.
Appreciate the response. The plugs are brand new, NGK iridium. I always hear talk of some iac valve or something to reset? Is that possibly a cause? Sheesh, I hope it's not a head gasket, cause I just got it all together. It smells strong though for sure.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Appreciate the response. The plugs are brand new, NGK iridium. I always hear talk of some iac valve or something to reset? Is that possibly a cause? Sheesh, I hope it's not a head gasket, cause I just got it all together. It smells strong though for sure.
Liquid? No, not normal that is the hallmark sign of a blown head gasket. But to be clear, how much liquid? Some drops, maybe a bit of wet-ish spray when you rev it? Probably condensation, and not a big deal. A stream? Constant? Head gasket. If it is a head gasket you should be able to smell the coolant in it, should smell sickly sweet. Check the oil. If the head gasket is bad, you will be getting water in the oil, it will start to look milky. Coolant levels will start to drop. Engine will overheat. And lastly, have to done something to possibly cause it to be the head gasket? Or just normal driving? Oh yeah, the IAC would have nothing to do with this.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Fury
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Liquid? No, not normal that is the hallmark sign of a blown head gasket. But to be clear, how much liquid? Some drops, maybe a bit of wet-ish spray when you rev it? Probably condensation, and not a big deal. A stream? Constant? Head gasket. If it is a head gasket you should be able to smell the coolant in it, should smell sickly sweet. Check the oil. If the head gasket is bad, you will be getting water in the oil, it will start to look milky. Coolant levels will start to drop. Engine will overheat. And lastly, have to done something to possibly cause it to be the head gasket? Or just normal driving? Oh yeah, the IAC would have nothing to do with this.
I think that was the answer I'm looking for. Coolant hasn't changed, oil looks good. It's wetish spray as you said. Enough to change color with little dots on the concrete but that's about it. Maybe it's part of the ICE process, I've just never noticed? I've never done anything warranting a gasket breakage, I've been very nice to it.

I wonder if it warms up if they will go away. I'll check that out next.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I think that was the answer I'm looking for. Coolant hasn't changed, oil looks good. It's wetish spray as you said. Enough to change color with little dots on the concrete but that's about it. Maybe it's part of the ICE process, I've just never noticed? I've never done anything warranting a gasket breakage, I've been very nice to it.

I wonder if it warms up if they will go away. I'll check that out next.
Things like this are inherently difficult to diagnose over the internet, but based on this, I think you are fine. It's more a function of the weather than anything. As the hot exhaust cools down, moisture condenses inside it. Pretty common on cars, and if you have short drives you will rot mufflers off quickly without heating it up enough to drive it all out. You just get to see it very clearly on a bike, because it is right there.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Well I park it outside on all my short trips. But it stays in the garage. I think you're right, maybe it's just condensation and I've never seen it up close on a car before. It just weirded me out seeing it at first.
Being a 2010 model it has been called a Harley so many times it's developed a complex and thinks it has to mark it"s territory now....

Other than that I have no idea, it's definitely above my pay grade.

·
Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
562 Posts
Happens to me if I leave the bike out & it showers. That upswept FSD exhaust blows sooty water everywhere.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2010 Honda Fury
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Being a 2010 model it has been called a Harley so many times it's developed a complex and thinks it has to mark it"s territory now....

Other than that I have no idea, it's definitely above my pay grade.
You know it. Just the other day I had two guys asking about the bike and one guy asked what brand. When I said Honda he looked so sad. Lol, whatever guy.

My dodge is made in Mexico, and my tundra in Ohio... So ride what you like.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts

CS
Little 'spits' when you first fire it up are normal. It's condensation and you probably will find that once the pipes warm up, it goes away. Mine has done this same thing since I put on the Cobra swepts (probably before with the stock pipes, I just never noticed). The cobras point downward which made it more apparent. It's like a sprinkling of spit, just enough to wet the pavement with little tiny droplets.

It's the same concept of when you see automobiles with steam coming out of the exhaust when they are still warming up/cold engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here in az the last couple of nights its been getting pretty cold so when ur engine gets real cold and u start it as it warms up it creates condensation and yes it will spit out water but then it should stop once it gets hot and spits and dries out. If it continues to spit water out after everything is at normal operating temps and just done with ur ride for the day whatever then I would say something may be wrong. then I would start by do u smell antifreeze, pull the plugs see how they are burning should be a nice tan color, then compression test each cylinder. But I just think its just condensation because of the air temps are getting colder n when it heats up it creates water. I agree with mbaskett

1 - 15 of 15 Posts