Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone built a larger fuel tank for the fury as some of our fuel stops here in Queensland, Australia are more than the stated range of a standard tank.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I haven't seen one yet. I have the same trouble as you in Thailand. There are plenty of gas stations with 91oct. but only the bigger ones have the 95. I have been looking at small gas cans that I could slip in my wife's back pack with out her knowing for now.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
I haven't seen one yet. I have the same trouble as you in Thailand. There are plenty of gas stations with 91oct. but only the bigger ones have the 95. I have been looking at small gas cans that I could slip in my wife's back pack with out her knowing for now.
Dan, I run 87 octane in mine, and it does fine. Is there a difference in the octane measurement there?? In other words, does 91 octane measure the same in Thailand and the US? If there is no difference, why do you need to run the higher octane? Just curious.

Bob

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well I am looking into someone splitting my tank and widening it along with trying to make it a little deeper. Have not had the funds to actually doing it but figured it would be cheaper than having a new one made. Do like the idea of taking a VTX tank and installing it but not sure if the tank will flow with the rest of the bike.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Dan, I run 87 octane in mine, and it does fine. Is there a difference in the octane measurement there?? In other words, does 91 octane measure the same in Thailand and the US? If there is no difference, why do you need to run the higher octane? Just curious.

Bob
Tell you the truth I am not sure but I would think the octane amount would be the same all over. But thy have a higher alcohol content in the lower octane gas for some reason.
Anyway it has been recommended by the dealer to use the 95 octane so I do.
But it would be nice to know if I can run 91 and do OK. It would be a lot easer on longer trips especially for my wife since she would be packing the extra fuel.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Tell you the truth I am not sure but I would think the octane amount would be the same all over. But thy have a higher alcohol content in the lower octane gas for some reason.
Anyway it has been recommended by the dealer to use the 95 octane so I do.
But it would be nice to know if I can run 91 and do OK. It would be a lot easer on longer trips especially for my wife since she would be packing the extra fuel.
If you are running it in the states, run it as close to 86 octane as possible, I don't know the comparible octane for Europe or the rest of the world, but I have posted this in the FAQ and I think I also added a comment about NOT listening to the DEALER.... We have more real world experience with these bikes than does the dumb ass dealer, again, read my FAQ as I have a link as to why NOT to use a higher octane than is necessary.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My dealer told me to use the high octane also. The owner's manual says to use 87. I trust the Honda engineers a lot more than the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Larger Fuel Tank

My problem is not the octane availability but the distance between service stations. I have one ride that has a 320 kilometer distance between the only service stations. I really want a Fury but this is the only issue I have. I do a number of rides that I need to cover 270 - 280 km between refuels. Has anyone tried to fit the tank off of the stateliner etc:?:D I would use original tank around town and swap for the trips that I would need the range.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
My problem is not the octane availability but the distance between service stations. I have one ride that has a 320 kilometer distance between the only service stations. I really want a Fury but this is the only issue I have. I do a number of rides that I need to cover 270 - 280 km between refuels. Has anyone tried to fit the tank off of the stateliner etc:?:D I would use original tank around town and swap for the trips that I would need the range.
going to Honda dealer today i will look over the stateliner etc.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
L&M is thinking of coming out with a stealth gallon holder, so this could be an option for you, probably the first one.

I ran 93 octane only once and it caused a noticable ticking noise so I went back to 87. Check out this thread Engine noise/ticking.
I run 93 for 1 tank full at Shell only about every 4 months just to change it up for the extra cleaners in their gas, then straight back to 87.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
My dealer told me to use the high octane also. The owner's manual says to use 87. I trust the Honda engineers a lot more than the dealer.
Correct! It's been a while but I thought the manual said it could cause damage if you are running high octane?
Also talk to your mechanic when at the dealer. Don't take the salesman's word about the mechanics of the bike.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I was working on a larger tank then got the Kraftech frame and did a little modding to get that on the bike rather than trying to build the tunnel for the fury. The Kraftech has a 4 1/4 gallon tank. After i get some time since im trying to get the Kraftech done and have other stuff going on I will probably do a new tank for the fury, new fenders and chrome the rims

·
Registered
77 Posts
Correct! It's been a while but I thought the manual said it could cause damage if you are running high octane?
Also talk to your mechanic when at the dealer. Don't take the salesman's word about the mechanics of the bike.
The manual states 87 octane rating or HIGHER!!! I have ran 91 in my fury for over 6k and she runs great. I had a 2004 VTX that I also bought new. Ran 93 mobil or shell fuel for over 10k never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
If my baby needs gas...she gets gas. don't care what the octane is in that situation.
day to day it's 87 (i.e. regular).

Saw an identical, but larger tank, at the dealer's the other day--don't know which model bike but, it sure looked like a Fury--'cept the tank was larger.

i'd go for that.

<tiny hi-jack: opened up the side panel and noticed my free replacement battery from the dealer was a YUSA--what does Honda use for OEM?)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Anybody know if we can switch out tanks with a big dog our big bear chopper tank? If so, what would i have to modify to maker it work on my fury? THANKS!! =)

QUOTE=skappiris;89543]If my baby needs gas...she gets gas. don't care what the octane is in that situation.
day to day it's 87 (i.e. regular).

Saw an identical, but larger tank, at the dealer's the other day--don't know which model bike but, it sure looked like a Fury--'cept the tank was larger.

i'd go for that.

<tiny hi-jack: opened up the side panel and noticed my free replacement battery from the dealer was a YUSA--what does Honda use for OEM?)[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 47 Posts