Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to order my C&C seat through Ginz. Just wanted to here all the pros and cons on leather versus vinyl. It is going to Thailand so we are looking at lots off 100 deg.days although it does stay inside a lot unless I am riding.
Are the leather seats cooler??

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
If you ride a lot and in different weather such as rain you better keep leather treated lol. It CAN be a bitch. My CBR seats are custom colored leather and I hate it. Maybe a synthetic wouldn't be as bad.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we do have the monsoon season. I try to stay out of the rain but during monsoon the rain comes up fast and hard and no where to hide.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Leather is great and there is nothing like it but I think overall between the costs, maintenance and the troubles that come along with it that you are much better off with vinyl. Talk we Chuck at C&C and he will explain both sides and I think you will find the same answer and he will advise you to go vinyl. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
I have some genuine imitation black ostrich(not gator):rolleyes: skin for sale!!!!

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Getting ready to order my C&C seat through Ginz. Just wanted to here all the pros and cons on leather versus vinyl. It is going to Thailand so we are looking at lots off 100 deg.days although it does stay inside a lot unless I am riding.
Are the leather seats cooler??
I went for vinyl. Easier to look after and it can stand rain. I end up riding in the rain more often than I'd like but the traffic is so heavy in Sydney that riding in the rain is a better option than driving (time wise). I ordered my C&C through Ginz as well. They had the best price I could find on the seat.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
the leather will be cooler (temp-wise) than vinyl.
but, the OP was about a specific locale--so, maybe vinyl is the answer for you monsooners.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Here's the disclaimer in C&C's reply for final approval of my order, w.r.t. leather v vinyl:

Leather – vs. – Vinyl

Leather make a Firmer Seat than vinyl.

All stock seats are Vinyl. The reason they use Vinyl, it’s very forgiving, easy to maintain, and always remains smoother looking, it also stretches in all directions which utilizes the foam to its maximum, and is colorfast.

Leather is a natural product; it’s a cooler ride because it breathes somewhat, a lot of riders say they don't sweat as bad. However being a natural product every hide is different, it wrinkles & crinkles, you’ve seen how it wears in Auto Upholstery it tends to get a distressed look, it doesn't stretch so makes a little firmer seat. Also after years of getting wet and drying most leather tends to stiffen up some, and may fade since hides are dyed.
Some clients like the distressed look; some don’t care for it, and want a smoother looking seat, it usually boils down to cosmetic appeal for most.

We sell about 50/50, so there isn't a big trend for one or the other.
So, Now I'm thinking about going with vinyl 'cause the rest of my bike will always look shiny and new.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the disclaimer in C&C's reply for final approval of my order, w.r.t. leather v vinyl:

So, Now I'm thinking about going with vinyl 'cause the rest of my bike will always look shiny and new.
My first Idea was leather. I figured that since I spend a far amount of time polishing on my bike a few more minutes with leather conditioners wouldn't bother me to much and leather is cooler. However when its 100 deg and 100 percent humidity I tend to sweet anyway. Also with the rain and high humidity and from what David and a few others have said and the disclaimer you have I should go with vinyl
Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I'm going to throw another teaser your way ... get ready!

I was planning on going with the Solo seat in Tribal with Inlay/Insert of Gator. Jim wrote and said he recommended faux gator due to price.

I also stated I wanted blue stitching to match the Fury blue, but had expected to get a black seat with a black gator inlay.

Well, that was 'til Jim sent me this photo:

So, now I know I'm going with the Solo in Vinyl and blue faux gator Tribal inlay/insert and standard lumbar support. The issue now is the price risk w/o having first gotten my Reaper fender.

So, I'm holding off to see how the stock Honda seat fits my final Reaper fender before I risk nearly $500 for a seat. A kickass seat, mind you, but a not-so-inexpensive seat, either.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow I did not need to see that. Now I am wondering about that with a silver color. Shit I am trying to save a little so I can pay for MFRs pipes

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
I'm going to throw another teaser your way ... get ready!

I was planning on going with the Solo seat in Tribal with Inlay/Insert of Gator. Jim wrote and said he recommended faux gator due to price.

I also stated I wanted blue stitching to match the Fury blue, but had expected to get a black seat with a black gator inlay.

Well, that was 'til Jim sent me this photo:

So, now I know I'm going with the Solo in Vinyl and blue faux gator Tribal inlay/insert and standard lumbar support. The issue now is the price risk w/o having first gotten my Reaper fender.

So, I'm holding off to see how the stock Honda seat fits my final Reaper fender before I risk nearly $500 for a seat. A kickass seat, mind you, but a not-so-inexpensive seat, either.
That's the same seat I got, but my insert is black keystone rather than blue gator... a little more subtle. If I had a blue Fury, I think I'd probaby go with the insert you're looking at because there's nothing subtle about the blue Fury color. :D

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's the same seat I got, but my insert is black keystone rather than blue gator... a little more subtle. If I had a blue Fury, I think I'd probaby go with the insert you're looking at because there's nothing subtle about the blue Fury color. :D
Mine is the silver fury. I am thinking about having mine done like that in silver, if they can get close enough in color.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Wow I did not need to see that. Now I am wondering about that with a silver color. Shit I am trying to save a little so I can pay for MFRs pipes
Yeah, good luck with the stopping the spending. I keep saying, "this is the last mod" over and over and over and over ... :rolleyes:

It also helps that I'm a Florida Gator ;)
I was thinking "orange", but that might be a bit too much.
Gonna take that photo I posted into PhotoShop and see what I can see.

what we need is a good looking female model to compare!:D
What we need is a female insert :eek: Now THAT would be a comfy ride!!!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
OK, this may help or confuse you more. I just got this from Jim:

One thing to note, when you get a seat with an insert, the outside part of the seat must be leather. If you used vinyl, you would see the white interior of all vinyl when you cut into it to put the insert in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts