Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a problem here in Oz (yes, I know, lots of problems!). Our laws state that the maximum noise a motorcycle can in make is 94dB according to the Australian Design Rules (ADR39A) .... but the Fury sticker shows it as 96dB (and that is obvioulsy with the stock pipes)!!! Does any other counrty have this situation?

Macxpert made me aware of this recently when he got pulled over for a police check last week in Sydney.

Now I'm getting worried about the fine(s) I might get with my Roadhouse pipes!

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
It's really quite simple as far as the ADRs go. The stock pipes have passed and are legal, if they are found not to be legal on the production bikes then Honda Australia has a big legal headache and a recall on their hands. Any modifications to the exhaust are illegal, no ifs ands or buts. The law is quite clear every after market exhaust is illegal and it does not matter if the cat converter is removed or excess noise. The exception would be an after market products made to the same specification as the factory product. For example if the muffler on my wife's Mazda wore out I could buy the original part or I could by a Lucas muffler made for that Mazda. If I put a performance exhaust on I could get a ticket if it did not meet the ADRs.

So lets say I put an after market exhaust on my Fury and it was louder than stock, then my bike is illegal and I can get a defect notice and a large fine. But if I could find an after market exhaust that had the cat converters and was as loud as stock I'd be OK. As far as I can tell every after market exhaust is loud, much louder than stock so you're illegal right there and I don't know of any that have the cat converters in them either so you're illegal there too. That's two defects and two large fines.

Don't believe me, ride down to Manly beach on a Saturday morning and watch the cops writing tickets for loud pipes to all the Harley boys. When I ride down I slip right past the cops and park next to them and they usually say "nice bike man".

Sorry to say Gary but your riding round with illegal pipes, most of the time you can get away with it especially if you don't piss the neighbours off but if you get stopped...well your done.

If you look most of the after market manufacturers have a disclaimer saying something like "not legal for street use, for off road or racing applications only".

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm using cobra swepts with the standard baffles inside.

Here its also prohibited to use exhausts that produce more than the motorcycle type admitted level.

But most of the police officers are a bit flexible, as long as you behave, so no full throttle through domestic parts, no problem.

Unless your caught in a police check action, then all motorcycle are pulled over and tested for noise and other problems. Then you're in bad luck and will have to pay a fine or worse you can't drive any further and have to show your bike a few days later on the police station with the oem exhaust..

I have thought about this situation and came up with the following solution:

I'll see what happens, if I get pulled over a lot, then ill install somehow quiet baffles. Ok so bye bye the chopper exhaust noise but at least it will look great.

Perhaps you can get quiet baffles for your roadhouse exhaust?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Gray, it sounds like you may want to slip an extra set of baffles inside to keep the noise down.

I wonder if you can pull the cat out of the stock pipes and shove it into the drag pipes?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Texas does not have a decible law for motorcycle but all cities and towns have their own. That's where you have to be careful but if you are not acting an ass and racking them off in the city limits most places will ignore you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
OKay, enough about noise .... we all love it and the authorities state a certain dB limit on exhausts.

In Oz you can fit any exhaust you like so long as it complies with the regulations. For instance the sticker on the Fury says 96dB and Oz regulations state 94dB, how did Honda get away with this ....

EASY.

In Oz the dB rating is taken at a set distance behind the bike and also at a certain number of REVS, can't remember the exact number but its at highway cruising speed from memory. Who knows how Honda rate their noise levels !

If your at all concerned get it checked at a testing station, I know of one here in Geraldton so I might just get mine checked out of interest; Cobra Swept - baffles cut in half using Daves method. You will also get a certificate to give to the police.

Cheers
Guy

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
You still have to have the cat converters even if your pipes meet the noise limit. There is no way around that, at least not that I know of. Without the cat converters you would fail the emissions test. Not that I've ever heard of that being done in a road side inspection but you could get a ticket for not having them installed.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If your at all concerned get it checked at a testing station, I know of one here in Geraldton so I might just get mine checked out of interest; Cobra Swept - baffles cut in half using Daves method. You will also get a certificate to give to the police.

Cheers
Guy
Do you mean the Cobra swept only produces max 94db, with only half a baffle??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh yes

all of europe ! the bike have to pass something called Euro5 approval. But what the heck... i have reaper tips with cobra powerflo on mine....

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OKay, enough about noise .... we all love it and the authorities state a certain dB limit on exhausts.

In Oz you can fit any exhaust you like so long as it complies with the regulations. For instance the sticker on the Fury says 96dB and Oz regulations state 94dB, how did Honda get away with this ....

EASY.

In Oz the dB rating is taken at a set distance behind the bike and also at a certain number of REVS, can't remember the exact number but its at highway cruising speed from memory. Who knows how Honda rate their noise levels !

Cheers
Guy
Hi Guy,

I found an old mate who has testing equipment (owns a muffler shop) so I will be taking the Fury down to him to see how illegal the pipes are. I wonder how flexible he might be with a "certificate"?

If you take yours down to be tested make sure you post the results.

Cheers

Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts