Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a few weeks back I purchased a 2010 Fury. I have 600 miles on it and will be doing an Oil change and valve adjustment soon. I bought a service manual off Ebay and am just now reading through some of it.

My question is this. I live in Illinois but ride my bike mainly in Wisconsin. Well the weather has gotten cold and I wont be riding it much longer. My last bike had a conventional carburetor on it. I would almost fill the tank up for the winter storage and add some stabil. Then run the bike for a while to let the stabil work through the lines and into the carb. When I went to pickle the bike for winter I would remove the plugs and add some fogging oil in there. I would also open the drain on the carb bowl as a last step and let the remaining fuel out of the bowl so it didnt gum up the needle and seat over the winter. I had real good luck with that for 15+ years with no issues.

The Fury is my first fuel injected bike. I will be parking it in a cold garage all winter and want to prep the bike correctly. Any advice from anyone regarding the winter storage of the bike and any fuel concerns or advice?

I apologize in advance if this is covered in the forum some where. I did multiple searches and went through each section and didnt see it addressed anywhere.

TIA, Jim

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
nothin special was done to my engine last winter. Before my winter mods were done which began around february which the entire bike was took apart I simply started it every couple weeks for a little while and that was it. I was told trickle chargers are actually bad for batteries in our climates and actually saw proof when one of my club brothers was left stranded when this season started due to his battery failing and he had to get another. When he bought his new battery his shop told him what I just stated about trickling during the winter being bad.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I usually take the battery out and keep it indoors and once a month I put a trickle charge on it for one night and thats it. My bike is only in storage 4 months max though. New York winters are rough on the joints. I wish I could get work on the west coast then I could ride with WCFR's and not be jealous of them :) To obad construction on the west coast is worse than it is here. And government money is all thats out there so thats why I do school construction. I need change soon!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The best thing you can do is STA-BIL in your fuel used it always in my boat back east and never had fuel problems......:D...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will take the battery out of the bike and bring it home. It will be kept warm in the heated basement with a charge now and then. But I wont be able to start the bike for about 4 months straight at least.

·
Premium Member
13,706 Posts
they are supposed to be coming out with a stabile that is good in fuel injection.personaly i ride all winter.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I usually take the battery out and keep it indoors and once a month I put a trickle charge on it for one night and thats it. My bike is only in storage 4 months max though. New York winters are rough on the joints. I wish I could get work on the west coast then I could ride with WCFR's and not be jealous of them :) To obad construction on the west coast is worse than it is here. And government money is all thats out there so thats why I do school construction. I need change soon!
Yep, the battery is the most important thing here, bike batteries can go bad in just 6 weeks or so if not charged.
STA-BIL is a waste of money in this part of the country, when you are storing your sled for summer, absolutely use it but in winter storage you won't have a problem, you are using non-oxygenated fuel right?
If you are using 10% ethanal then I might consider the use of sta-bil.
the best options are drain the fuel system completely or fill it full.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
nothin special was done to my engine last winter. Before my winter mods were done which began around february which the entire bike was took apart I simply started it every couple weeks for a little while and that was it. I was told trickle chargers are actually bad for batteries in our climates and actually saw proof when one of my club brothers was left stranded when this season started due to his battery failing and he had to get another. When he bought his new battery his shop told him what I just stated about trickling during the winter being bad.
Snuffdog, What club are you with my friend?

·
Premium Member
13,706 Posts
Yep, the battery is the most important thing here, bike batteries can go bad in just 6 weeks or so if not charged.
STA-BIL is a waste of money in this part of the country, when you are storing your sled for summer, absolutely use it but in winter storage you won't have a problem, you are using non-oxygenated fuel right?
If you are using 10% ethanal then I might consider the use of sta-bil.
the best options are drain the fuel system completely or fill it full.
i think every drop of fuel here is full of corn.lol

·
Banned
18 Posts
love the south , we can ride all year round as long as the roads are not to wet or have ice patches, those are few and far between tho

1 - 10 of 10 Posts