Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, heres my list of things i want to do to increase the power. first off is the samson ripsaw pipes, Barons Bir Air Kit, Power commander 5 w/auto tune.

Then im going to do over the winter, port and polish the heads, blue print and balnce the injectors, and in hope to port and tune the intake manifold to increase intake flow.

Then im going to looking to whats the largest pistons i can go with before the cylinder become to weak for street riding. if every thing works out i hope to get up over 1400cc. like to go 5.75mm over to get a 1475cc if i could i would go with vtx 1800 cylinders and pistons. and make a 1671cc. some research will happen. anyway im looking for some killer power out of my honda chopper. then a gain if vtx1800 cylinder could be made to fit. i would go with a set of 104.77 wiseco pistons. and make a 1798cc square bore to stroke motor. witch i would rev quick and make killer low end TQ and monster topend HP. all ideas im having to build a one off hot rod fury... then I would look into some hot street cams, to get some killer off idle power. and make it rev fast and smooth. and give it that sound we all like at idle. the thump pounding sound of two large hammers pounding away under you.

i got a lot of ideas on paper. now is the time. that im going to start researching and finding out what fits and what wont. I figure since honda is known for being able to swap diffrent modle year and modle parts. and since the vtx1800 and 1300 share almost the same setup other then bore and stroke. im looking to see if the cases of the 1300 will be able to be enlarged to fit 1800 cylinders.

· Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Sounds good actually... in your process of paper troubleshooting these issues, make sure to address the rev limiter and speed governor while you are at it, otherwise hitting 40mph, 60mph and 100mph are all going to give you the biggest headache from frustration imaginable from not being able to top out your creation...:rolleyes:

· Registered
189 Posts
Ignorant question, so please forgive me...

or abuse me... I'm okay with that, too...

But would it be less work to take the Fury's engine out altogether, and start with the 1800 engine directly, such that more of the work is around making it fit, rather than seeing how much tolerance you have to bore out the 1300? The pipes, porting/polishing, etc. would still be all the same.

Again, could be the stupidest question in the world, but I just had to ask...

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
true, this means if i can make things work in the big cc area. then i might be looking next into rev limit, to power out put levels. witch im going to need to find out where a stock 1300 rev limit is, and then compare to a vtx1800 rev limit. then take into it the gearing. this is not an over night thing. will take alot of time and planning. and tons of research. then all the time of making it work and working out the bugs, to make a one off custom fury. with tons of power. im looking for neck snapping power. tire shreading tq. and a killer sound. ok i guess im in hope of building what honda should have build. if it works out that i can make vtx1800 cylinders work. and bore to 104.77mm. and with stock 104.3mm stroke. makes for a short stroke vtx1800. as the stock vtx1800 has 101mm pistons and 112mm stroke. and is 1794cc and my short stroke big bore. would be 1798cc 4cc larger. and should rev faster, and put down some where near. 100hp, 120ft-lbs. these numbers are based off some mild built vtx1800's. i could be more or a little less. but still hopes and ideas can bring some wild numbers. later after alot of tuning. first is planning. on paper then bringing it to life. once everything is checked out. if this works out. ill be in market to sell my kit.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would look into the vtx1800 motor. but in the end. it wont be the same. as the stroke numbers. and i havent checked yet but i would say knowing honda. the trans ratios are diffrent. i like the stock ratios, just want more power. and to be diffrent. the 1800 engine also wouldnt be able to look good like the stock engine. as the 1800 has a larger head, and the chrome covers wouldnt work. and the rear head i know wouldnt clear the frame. the 1300 heads are a little smaller. i know this as a fact.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes cooling would be a problem. bigger motor means more heat. i would look into this by maybe adding an oil cooler, and have a little bit bigger rad, to fit in the same location. just it would have more rows in it for cooling. i think the stock rad has 2 rows, maybe three with out looking. i would go to at least 4 rows. and keep the oem style look. and fit an oil cooler above it.

· Registered
886 Posts
I got rid of my fury because I wanted a chopper that had the power it deserved. I gotta be honest though, a fury like what you have in mind would make my mouth water....:D Just do me one favor: I love that chug chug chug sound just as much as everyone else but I'm begging you, please don't make it so slow that you have to keep revving the motor at stops just to keep it from stalling out. I can't stand bikes like that. I think it makes motorcyclists look bad in the eyes of the uneducated cagers because they all just assume that some asshole thinks he's cool at the stoplight and is revving for attention. IMO if it won't run at idle on its own, its worthless. But I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your progress as you post it on here for us all to see!:D

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nope it wont be like a turned down harley. the guys that have there bikes turned down to get that lope sound, all they are doing leaning out the motor, and they get that chug in them, this is why they have to blip the throttle at a stop. also i see since i ride with a bunch of guys with harleys, they do that so they can hear there pipes plus watch these types of guys, they will blip the throttle just before they dump the clutch and wack it WFO. then they rev it to the limiter shift into 2nd and then slow down. I call these type of riders. all show but no GO. My bike when it get it tuned up and running the way i want it too. will be all show with a lot of go. and it will sound good and idle great cold or hot, plus it wont leak oil. lol. had to throw that in there.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
today i started to look into engine outside specs. meaning i took my ruler and got some specs off a buddys vtx1800. and will compare them to the 1300. I also asked the local honda dealer to get me a VTX1800 base gasket and a VTX1300 base gasket. and head gaskets. so i can compare them for case bolt fitment, next will be to research on the oil passages with in the engine cases. to make sure if i need to bore out the cases to fit larger cylinders. that i wont need to plug and remachine oil passages. like i have had to do in the past on a vintage bike i built up. i have done this type of engine modding before. but it was on a 1970's honda single cylinder 125cc into a 215cc. board track racer replica that im still working on finishing up the little bits to make it road legal.

· Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Sounds cool... keep up the good work and the updates are cool :D Almost like a march into madness... interesting reads...

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Here's a custom 1300 VTX with a shrunken and relocated radiator. Not sure about the rideablility but if that works decently, then a fury radiator might work with an 1800. Not sure of the size difference between the 1800 and the 1300.

As far as the rear head fitting under the frame, chop the backbone and raise it up. Then you'll have a "real" custom chopper!

I agree with you guys about needing more power. If we get stuck with uncool looking radiators, then we should have more power then an equally displaced air cooled engine, not LESS!

Attachments

· Registered
1,031 Posts
I just noticed that after compressing the pics you can't really tell where the radiator is. The blue tube is one of the coolant lines.

Hint:
its under the seat...

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lastnight was talking to my buddy that makes rads, for mini sprints, and he was looking at the stock rad and said yup, i can made a little larger rad to fit in the same location the stock rads are 2 row. witch means there two tubes that run along each other behind the fins. we will bring this up to a 4 row. so im going to double the cooling area of the rad. so the only problem will be the rad will stick out alittle bit from the frame. witch is ok. also the use of engine ice, will increase cooling affect. I will be adding a some small gauges to a new speedo housing im going make. so it will look almost stock but be custom. ill add a temp, tach, and oil pressure gauges. so i can keep an I on things. because those engine warning lights when they come on its some times already tolate the damge is done. IM still working on getting some things. I found that my local dealer has a wrecked fury and im working with them on trying to be able to buy the engine from the INS company for cheap. so i can build that one and still ride. once that happens i can get this build up rolling faster as then i can tear into it and fully see what i can and can not do. but I am for sure going to make it bigger. but hope and dreams are a short stroke big bore 1800 fury. unlike the big stroke vtx1800. a 4cc diffreance, and im my eyes the short stroke will rev faster and make a higher peak HP. just maybe the same or a little less TQ. ok more updates coming soon.

· Registered
1 Posts
i would look into the vtx1800 motor. but in the end. it wont be the same. as the stroke numbers. and i havent checked yet but i would say knowing honda. the trans ratios are diffrent. i like the stock ratios, just want more power. and to be diffrent. the 1800 engine also wouldnt be able to look good like the stock engine. as the 1800 has a larger head, and the chrome covers wouldnt work. and the rear head i know wouldnt clear the frame. the 1300 heads are a little smaller. i know this as a fact.
yes cooling would be a problem. bigger motor means more heat. i would look into this by maybe adding an oil cooler, and have a little bit bigger rad, to fit in the same location. just it would have more rows in it for cooling. i think the stock rad has 2 rows, maybe three with out looking. i would go to at least 4 rows. and keep the oem style look. and fit an oil cooler above it.

· Premium Member
3,448 Posts
someone said it earlier--
once the homework is done, get the vtx1800 engine and associated oil-rad-tranny, etc. priced and then look into fitting that onto the Fury.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
the problem with going with a vtx1800 is that its not what i want. a vtx1800 is a small bore large stroke of 101mm pistons 112mm stroke. IM looking to go with a short stroke big bore. with 104.77mm pistons and stay with the stock 104.3mm stroke. now if you know engines. this is called a square engine, with the bore and stroke matched its 1.1 these types of engine make very strong power curves almost matched in HP and TQ.
since the vtx1300 and the fury share the same short stroke this is what makes the cylinder shorter. now once i get my 1800 cylinder to compare with the 1300 units. im thinking the 1800's are longer do to the larger stroke. now in the past i have cut down cylinders before of larger bore cylinders to match the cases and stroke of a smaller bore cylinder. since the 1300 has a shorter stroke the cylinder wouldnt need to be as tall. so being i may end up having to cut down the cylinder skirts and machine them to match the 1300 cylinders deck height...
I have done this on my vintage cb125. clubman racer, when i built it into a 203cc with taking a xr200 cylinder cutting down to match the cylinder height of the 125 and then had it bored out. now i have 203cc single cylinder that revs out too 14,000 rpms. and makes more power then a stock 200cc engine. and im using a stock xr200 cam machined to fit in the 125 head. and with all honda pars in that build... so i have dont it before but smaller. this will take me alittle bit more planning and figuring out numbers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.