Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are working on widening our stock rim at Kosman (the cost is $450) and installing the 240 rear tire for a better fit. This modification to the rear rims is cheap, proven and you'll be able to fill the gap between the swingarm and frame rails without cutting and modifying the bike, swingarm or suspension. You'll still be able to use your stock rear fender and other components. When we find a perfect fit we will post the info up for everyone and will have a video overview of the project. The 250 rear end kits are very nice and worth every penny, but if you do not have the $4,000 and do not want to cut and modify your frame, then this solution might be for you.

LM

·
Registered
494 Posts
Kurt reported that the frame rails are only 230mm wide which you probably know very well. Is your plan to run a 240 tire on a 7" or 7.5" wheel to pinch it down to 230mm wide?

·
Registered
119 Posts
We are working on widening our stock rim at Kosman (the cost is $450) and installing the 240 rear tire for a better fit. This modification to the rear rims is cheap, proven and you'll be able to fill the gap between the swingarm and frame rails without cutting and modifying the bike, swingarm or suspension. You'll still be able to use your stock rear fender and other components. When we find a perfect fit we will post the info up for everyone and will have a video overview of the project. The 250 rear end kits are very nice and worth every penny, but if you do not have the $4,000 and do not want to cut and modify your frame, then this solution might be for you.

LM
Thanks L & M for doing the research... Those of us that own FURYS are looking forward to seeing what you come up with...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hey Chris, How is this going? Forgot to ask you when we talked today.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TaDebeer's rim is at Kosman's right now being modified, they say we should have some results very soon. As for the measurements, the Fury frame clearance is 9.125 wide or 231.7749. But if you measure a 8.5 rim with a 240 tire your not 240mm your 228-230mm. Why, Im not sure, but this is the info we are getting back from our customers. We are going to try to take the wheel as big as possible so the 240 tire fills the under side of the stock rear fender and our LM Reaper rear fender soon to be released.

LM

·
Registered
494 Posts
TaDebeer's rim is at Kosman's right now being modified, they say we should have some results very soon. As for the measurements, the Fury frame clearance is 9.125 wide or 231.7749. But if you measure a 8.5 rim with a 240 tire your not 240mm your 228-230mm. Why, Im not sure, but this is the info we are getting back from our customers. We are going to try to take the wheel as big as possible so the 240 tire fills the under side of the stock rear fender and our LM Reaper rear fender soon to be released.

LM
I have a 8.5" wheel with an Dunlop Elite 3 240 tire and it measures 9.4" wide or 239mm. All tire manufacturers measurements are going to vary a bit. For instance a Dunlop Elite 250 is 10" wide where as a Avon Cobra 250 is only 9.75" wide both on a 8.5" wheel.

Dunlop's manufacturer specs for it's Elite 3 240 tire says it measures 9.29" (236mm) on a 8" wheel. Considering this your going to have to make the Fury's wheel LESS then 8" wide to even come close to the 231mm frame clearance. Also note that there will be at least a few mm of variances on the Fury frame rails between different units and has always been the case on VTXes so I don't expect the Fury to be any different. My thinking is that you'll need either a 7" or 7.5" wheel to squeeze a 240 narrow enough to make it into a 230mm tire.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stock Fury Wheel is 7" wide, we are taking it to about 8" this will give us just over a 1/2" on ea side for the 240 tire. With this setup the end user might have to adjust his frame, We just did ours with a bottle jack and it was very simple took 5 min. If you can just even up the sides, at the most ours was off 1/8". The tire will squeeze in and between the frame. It's for sure a very tight fit, but possible. The swingarm is still 231mm and will be the final say on how big you can go without cutting or grinding.

LM

·
Registered
494 Posts
The stock Fury Wheel is 7" wide, we are taking it to about 8" this will give us just over a 1/2" on ea side for the 240 tire. With this setup the end user might have to adjust his frame, We just did ours with a bottle jack and it was very simple took 5 min. If you can just even up the sides, at the most ours was off 1/8". The tire will squeeze in and between the frame. It's for sure a very tight fit, but possible. The swingarm is still 231mm and will be the final say on how big you can go without cutting or grinding.

LM
someone correct if I'm wrong but isn't the stock Fury wheel 6.25" wide?

·
Registered
494 Posts
We are not using a stock rim. The rim is being modified. Look above to the other posts to see what is in the works...
T
Duuuhhh... I know you guys are getting the stock wheel widen by Kosman. They have been around for decades. L&M quoted the stock wheel to be 7" wide is what I'm questioning. I thought it was only 6.25" wide.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
someone correct if I'm wrong but isn't the stock Fury wheel 6.25" wide?
You could be right, as we are measuring the rim from the outside, not the inside where the tire sits. But to comparing the stock size to the available space on each side is what we are after. Tdebeers has sent a wheel to do this mod, we are paying for the modification and the info will be released here.

No Fury, thanks for all your interest and great points, keep them coming.

LM

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks!

Low and Mean, we appreciate you looking into this mod. I am sure you will make plenty happy if you have good news, but regardless of good or bad news we appreciate your work!

·
Registered
494 Posts
You could be right, as we are measuring the rim from the outside, not the inside where the tire sits. But to comparing the stock size to the available space on each side is what we are after. Tdebeers has sent a wheel to do this mod, we are paying for the modification and the info will be released here.

No Fury, thanks for all your interest and great points, keep them coming.

LM
the lip on wheels run about 3/4"-1", so the effective width of the Fury wheel will be about 7" wide if your trying to make the external width 8". Only about 3/4"-1" wider than stock.

BTW, no OEM or aftermarket manufacturer measures wheels from the outside lip. Your going to confuse people if you start saying that your putting a 8" wide wheel on a stock Fury.

·
Registered
39 Posts
T, Please tell me you did not send that beautiful "Gladiator" style wheel to be cut up and then re-welded back together.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.