Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any cheap or free mods that can be done to the fury to boost performance? Looking to see if items that I have changed in the car world transfer to the bike world. Any fluids out there like Royal Purple or changing out spark plugs, wires, etc... Anyway to modify stock air cleaner assembly? I know most of the big mods like exhaust, new intake system and FI programmer offer the best performance increase, but just bought the bike and dropping a grand on parts just isnt going to work right now.
So lets here some ideas

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Are there any cheap or free mods that can be done to the fury to boost performance? Looking to see if items that I have changed in the car world transfer to the bike world. Any fluids out there like Royal Purple or changing out spark plugs, wires, etc... Anyway to modify stock air cleaner assembly? I know most of the big mods like exhaust, new intake system and FI programmer offer the best performance increase, but just bought the bike and dropping a grand on parts just isnt going to work right now.
So lets here some ideas
There are threads on punching out some of the baffling on the exhaust, and drilling out the aircleaner a little. the aircleaner i would look into carefully to try finding a cleaner way of doing it rather than what was used as an example, and when modding stock parts be careful to make sure your bike doesnt lean out too much (without the fuel controler your stuck within certain paramiters)

·
Registered
889 Posts
So lets here some ideas
some (including me) have drilled out the baffles in their stock mufflers. I doubt it makes much of a difference as far as a performance gain but it does sound better. not as good as an aftermarket but better than stock. I did the mod to fill the time while I was saving up for my Mayhems. Even when you upgrade to top dollar performance parts, IMO the Fury isn't going to get much more performance after the first couple HP increase. Even if you somehow doubled the HP, it's still electronically limited to 100 mph.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Even if you somehow doubled the HP, it's still electronically limited to 100 mph.
Ah, but you're missing the point, RYGUY; it's not the ultimate speed, but how quickly you attain it. You're confusing fast with quick. 100 mph is more than adequate on a bike like the Fury, I'd just like to reach it in.......oh, lets say 5 seconds, from a rolling start. Not realistically attainable for any reasonable cost, of course, but I can still fantasize, can't I?

Cheers

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ah, but you're missing the point, RYGUY; it's not the ultimate speed, but how quickly you attain it. You're confusing fast with quick. 100 mph is more than adequate on a bike like the Fury, I'd just like to reach it in.......oh, lets say 5 seconds, from a rolling start. Not realistically attainable for any reasonable cost, of course, but I can still fantasize, can't I?

Cheers
Well, I agree with you but this thread was started asking about "low cost mods" which is why I said what I did. If you move on to the "money is no object" side of things, you can get a new computer that isn't limited to 100 mph and I'm sure someone will come out with a turbo kit soon to increase the accelleration... :D Realistically though, on the street, going fast is against the law. Therefore, the only benefit is if you're fast enough to get away from the police. However, you don't have to be faster than the police, you just have to be faster than the other guy you're riding with.... :D IMO any money spent on the fury ONLY to increase performance is a waste of money. You're still going to get smoked. If you want "performance" parts because they add a few ponies AND you like the look, GO FOR IT! In other words, I wouldn't choose one air filter over another because the manufacturer claims a higher increase in performance. I'd choose the one that I LIKED. Having the "fastest" fury is kinda like being the "thinnest" kid at fat camp....

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Well, I agree with you but this thread was started asking about "low cost mods" which is why I said what I did. If you move on to the "money is no object" side of things, you can get a new computer that isn't limited to 100 mph and I'm sure someone will come out with a turbo kit soon to increase the accelleration... :D Realistically though, on the street, going fast is against the law. Therefore, the only benefit is if you're fast enough to get away from the police. However, you don't have to be faster than the police, you just have to be faster than the other guy you're riding with.... :D IMO any money spent on the fury ONLY to increase performance is a waste of money. You're still going to get smoked. If you want "performance" parts because they add a few ponies AND you like the look, GO FOR IT! In other words, I wouldn't choose one air filter over another because the manufacturer claims a higher increase in performance. I'd choose the one that I LIKED. Having the "fastest" fury is kinda like being the "thinnest" kid at fat camp....
Huh... good analogy... lol, makes sense :D

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
hey no need to make fun of me. realisticly most people when it comes to building up their cars a little, its intake exhaust, programming, heads and some other simple things. even with those you dont double the HP of the car and rarely get an extra 50% of the hp. opening up the exhaust and intake can increase throttle response though which is where alot of people confuse hp rather than manipulating the acceleration curve. Fuel and air in/out faster = faster combustion rate = power more instantaniously. within certain reguards though. one of the web articles at motorcyclecycle-usa.com (writers last name is harley) did the hp engine rebuild(cams,pistons and i forget what else) and got like 10 hp but it was about a 1k kit. Ohh and Spark plug wires dont help out much, usually just helps with consistancy of spark delivered, and oils you can possibly get a slight difference due to less friction aslong as you stay within your climate and running style's capibilitys, but should try sticking close to Mfg's spec

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Again, skinny kid @ fat camp.... just enjoy the smooth ride and look good on this beautiful bike is what it comes down too... add the mods you like, just remember.. u'll still take off faster than 80-90% of normal cars...

Oh... saw the coolest thing on my ride this last weekend, went through this area called live oaks in LA, totally awsome the way the sunlight was coming through the tree's... was like one of those driving video games we all have played at one time or another... totally cool...

·
Registered
889 Posts
hey no need to make fun of me. realisticly most people when it comes to building up their cars a little, its intake exhaust, programming, heads and some other simple things. even with those you dont double the HP of the car and rarely get an extra 50% of the hp. opening up the exhaust and intake can increase throttle response though which is where alot of people confuse hp rather than manipulating the acceleration curve. Fuel and air in/out faster = faster combustion rate = power more instantaniously. within certain reguards though. one of the web articles at motorcyclecycle-usa.com (writers last name is harley) did the hp engine rebuild(cams,pistons and i forget what else) and got like 10 hp but it was about a 1k kit. Ohh and Spark plug wires dont help out much, usually just helps with consistancy of spark delivered, and oils you can possibly get a slight difference due to less friction aslong as you stay within your climate and running style's capibilitys, but should try sticking close to Mfg's spec
I wasn't making fun of you. Not at all. I just threw out "double horsepower" as a ridiculous example off the top of my head. I know we are all mod crazy power junkies... Myself definitely included. As I said before, I drilled out my baffles as well as many others did. However, I did it for sound, not performance. I was just saying that we need to remember what it is that we are modifying. If you wanna make it look cool, great. If you gain a few ponies in the process, even better! It just seems like a lot of people think they're gonna turn the fury into a fire breathing monster. If they do, that's awesome too, but people that are new to modifying bikes need to know that fire breathing monsters are not born from low cost mods. I'm sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intention at all.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I wasn't making fun of you. Not at all. I just threw out "double horsepower" as a ridiculous example off the top of my head. I know we are all mod crazy power junkies... Myself definitely included. As I said before, I drilled out my baffles as well as many others did. However, I did it for sound, not performance. I was just saying that we need to remember what it is that we are modifying. If you wanna make it look cool, great. If you gain a few ponies in the process, even better! It just seems like a lot of people think they're gonna turn the fury into a fire breathing monster. If they do, that's awesome too, but people that are new to modifying bikes need to know that fire breathing monsters are not born from low cost mods. I'm sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intention at all.
I was just kinda joking back with the skinniest kid at fat camp. i guess i didnt type it right for humor. ohh and you could add a flamethrower type exhaust setup to make this breath fire or just tune it right to shoot flames outa a set of straight or drag pipes

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I was just kinda joking back with the skinniest kid at fat camp. i guess i didnt type it right for humor. ohh and you could add a flamethrower type exhaust setup to make this breath fire or just tune it right to shoot flames outa a set of straight or drag pipes
Lol... CBFury know's all about that before he got his fuel controller with the straight pipes he's runnin... saw it first hand, blue flames out the back of that mug... pooof... lol, was kind of cool actually coming from a black bike...

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Lol... CBFury know's all about that before he got his fuel controller with the straight pipes he's runnin... saw it first hand, blue flames out the back of that mug... pooof... lol, was kind of cool actually coming from a black bike...
I wish my bike had an afterburner for the a-hole that nearly rolled his suburban to avoid hitting me while i was stopped at a redlight, he hung up his cell phone and rolled his window up after i started saying some very kind words and complimenting him on his great driving abilities and perfect vision to see my bright blue and white jacket

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm sure someone, somewhere is working on that as we speak.... :D I saw them make one on monster garage once using a propane bottle with a remote controlled valve going into the exhaust and right after the valve they had a spark plug wired up to fire continuously. when the remote opened the valve, propane entered the exhaust pipes and was ignited by the spark plug. Illegal in 51 states but cool :cool:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I wish my bike had an afterburner for the a-hole that nearly rolled his suburban to avoid hitting me while i was stopped at a redlight, he hung up his cell phone and rolled his window up after i started saying some very kind words and complimenting him on his great driving abilities and perfect vision to see my bright blue and white jacket
I'm sorry you had a close call like that. I've had a few myself. I think we should all just declare OPEN SEASON on bad drivers...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
f'ing cell drivers and snowbirds are the f'ing worst... Almost kick 2 or 3 citizens asses everyday for them being idiots on the road.... Think FL is bad, try these dumb ass CA drives.... morons..

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I'm sorry you had a close call like that. I've had a few myself. I think we should all just declare OPEN SEASON on bad drivers...
agreed, we'll wecruit the waskally wabbit as well.. Lol... funny picture... don't catch me like that, might actually use the damn thing..

·
Registered
889 Posts
agreed, we'll wecruit the waskally wabbit as well.. Lol... funny picture... don't catch me like that, might actually use the damn thing..
I hear ya. I was on my zx10 one day this last summer and some stupid (insert expletive of your choice here) decides to turn left from her stop sign and pull out onto the highway without bothering to look first. I was in the grass trying to avoid her. I kept it under control somehow and passed her. Then I stopped which made her stop. I parked the bike in the middle of the highway lane (I was slightly "road raged" at this point.) I walked up to her side of the vehicle and she was still on the phone (or calling the cops). Either way, I didn't care. I reached in (if the window hadn't already been down, I would've busted it out), turned the ignition off, took the keys and threw them as hard as I could into the woods on the side of the road. I told her she'd have plenty of time to talk on the phone while she was looking for them. I walked back to my bike and rode away.:D If you don't care about the laws that save me, then I'm going to break the laws that protect you.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So this thread has drifted.......

So basically nothing cheap seems to be what everyone is saying. I know the difference between throttle response and actual hp increase. I had no unrealistic goals of doubling the hp of the fury. I know the power isnt the greatest and I have no need for a top speed over 100mph. I was simply looking for some ideas until I free up some cash to spring for the intake, exhaust and new FI.

On a side note....Why does the intake tube and filter for the fury cost1.5-2x more than the ones I have put on my cars in the past (Pontiac, Dodge, Toyota, Honda, Kia). I even used quality kits from K&N and AEM.

·
Registered
889 Posts
So this thread has drifted.......

So basically nothing cheap seems to be what everyone is saying. I know the difference between throttle response and actual hp increase. I had no unrealistic goals of doubling the hp of the fury. I know the power isnt the greatest and I have no need for a top speed over 100mph. I was simply looking for some ideas until I free up some cash to spring for the intake, exhaust and new FI.

On a side note....Why does the intake tube and filter for the fury cost1.5-2x more than the ones I have put on my cars in the past (Pontiac, Dodge, Toyota, Honda, Kia). I even used quality kits from K&N and AEM.
As previously mentioned, drilling out the baffles is a mod that can be done pretty much for free if you have the right drillbits. Just make sure you don't drill too big or it'll lean out and pop. Also, holes in the airbox seems to be a cheap mod. I'd be very hesitant to do both at the same time until I had a fuel controller just in case it leans out too much from the combination.

For looks, getting rid of the stickers and reflectors is free and was one of my first mods. If you can spend a little money on paint, a lot of people will agree that painting the side covers does a LOT for cleaning up the look. I have pics of mine in another thread around here somewhere. Do a search for painted side covers and you'll find it. Note: I have a blue fury which requires a base coat. Total cost for all of the paint I needed was around $100. It'll be less if you have a color that doesn't require the base. Here is a link to the site: Paint Search :: Color Results - ColorRite Leftover paint can be used for things like home made side mount license plate brackets and accenting future mods...

As far as cost of mods goes, my theory is that the aftermarket companies know that there isn't a whole lot of competition out there right now and they can pretty much get away with charging whatever they want... I know quality costs money... But cost does decrease with added competition. It's simple supply and demand. Look at the prices of ammunition at a sporting goods store right now...

Hope I've helped. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
As previously mentioned, drilling out the baffles is a mod that can be done pretty much for free if you have the right drillbits. Just make sure you don't drill too big or it'll lean out and pop. Also, holes in the airbox seems to be a cheap mod. I'd be very hesitant to do both at the same time until I had a fuel controller just in case it leans out too much from the combination.

For looks, getting rid of the stickers and reflectors is free and was one of my first mods. If you can spend a little money on paint, a lot of people will agree that painting the side covers does a LOT for cleaning up the look. I have pics of mine in another thread around here somewhere. Do a search for painted side covers and you'll find it. Note: I have a blue fury which requires a base coat. Total cost for all of the paint I needed was around $100. It'll be less if you have a color that doesn't require the base. Here is a link to the site: Paint Search :: Color Results - ColorRite Leftover paint can be used for things like home made side mount license plate brackets and accenting future mods...

As far as cost of mods goes, my theory is that the aftermarket companies know that there isn't a whole lot of competition out there right now and they can pretty much get away with charging whatever they want... I know quality costs money... But cost does decrease with added competition. It's simple supply and demand. Look at the prices of ammunition at a sporting goods store right now...

Hope I've helped. Good luck and keep us updated.
It isnt that, its that motorcycles are kinda exclusive to size through certain area's (certain caribean islands have a 125cc limit) and there isnt a market niche like cars. Anyone planning on having their car for about 5 years should buy a K&N just because the long haul it will save you cash. Motorcycles figure the number of drivers and the number of people that own and ridebikes, then the number that mod them. then you take into account the design and production costs, perks of buying in bulk and it becomes more apparent why some parts are retardedly expensive, plus finishing the parts so they look cool rather than just being functional. Some of the stuff though i feel is rediculous for price on bikes (air ride/seats/ lights).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts