Honda Fury Forums: banner

How far can you go after the fuel light comes on? Highway ride at 110kph along coast

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the experience of running out of fuel in their Fury? I would like to know how far we can really go once the low fuel light comes on. I know what the manual says, but if it's like a car, then what happens in real life is completely different.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It means you have approximately ¾ of a gallon. Head to your nearest gas station.
Hi Richard,

That's what the book says, but I've done over 40km (25miles) with the low light on and the tank still wasn't empty. The maunal in one of my Nissans says that I have 30km left when the fuel light comes on, but I've done over 90km and still didn't run out of fuel (more than once I've done that).

Just want to know from anyones experience how far you can really go on a Fury with the fuel light on (assuming reasonably level ground on highway conditions).

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
207 Posts
Does anyone have the experience of running out of fuel in their Fury? I would like to know how far we can really go once the low fuel light comes on. I know what the manual says, but if it's like a car, then what happens in real life is completely different.

Cheers
I rode for another 15 miles after light came on (in traffic) and when I got to the gas station the bike still took less than 3 gallons, filled to the brim.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have only been 15 past the light, better safe then sorry.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I have always assumed that I have another 20 miles after the light comes on. My light usually comes on around 120 miles or so, therefore I hit the next available gas station. May want to search some of RSS’s post, I believe he had a thread about how many miles you could go and he proved it by running out of gas.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
My dealer said 5?
But they didn't look to sure of them selves when they told me that. And obviously by the posts in this thread they are wrong. But I don't know if I would ever go more then 20 miles after reading all you posts.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I ran out of gas friday. My dummy light is inop for some reason. Wires to the sensor are good so i guess the light is burned out or the sensor is bad.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I ran out of gas friday. My dummy light is inop for some reason. Wires to the sensor are good so i guess the light is burned out or the sensor is bad.
1. Drain tank.
2. Using VOM, check continuity across sensor.
3. If good, turn on key and use VOM to check for voltage at last connector going into light.
4. If good, then check for voltage at connector coming out of light.
5. If good, then check for continuity between connector and ground.

That should trouble-shoot the whole circuit and indicate where the trouble lies.

Alternatively, you could jumper positive voltage at the connector going into the light. If it comes on, then the sensor is suspect.

Just FWIW.......................

Cheers

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
The tank is 12.8 litres and the fuel light comes on when you have used about 10 litres of fuel. So around town I get 16 Kilometres per litre and the fuel light comes on at about 160 KLM (100 miles) so that means I've got 44.8 KLM before I use every drop.
On a country run / long ride I get 21 Kilometres per litre or 58.8 KLM left after the fuel light comes on before I use every drop.

I head for a petrol station at 160 or 210 K in any case.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tank is 12.8 litres and the fuel light comes on when you have used about 10 litres of fuel. So around town I get 16 Kilometres per litre and the fuel light comes on at about 160 KLM (100 miles) so that means I've got 44.8 KLM before I use every drop.
On a country run / long ride I get 21 Kilometres per litre or 58.8 KLM left after the fuel light comes on before I use every drop.

I head for a petrol station at 160 or 210 K in any case.
All my riding is highway. My fuel light comes on at around 200-220 km. I generally fill up at around 240km (up to 260km) and as I said before the tank isn't empty. Some of my riding has garages well over 200km apart and I was was trying to find out how far I might be able to go before the tank ran dry. Hmmmm... will probably have to try it and see (with my wife behind in the car with a can of fuel!).

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
All my riding is highway. My fuel light comes on at around 200-220 km. I generally fill up at around 240km (up to 260km) and as I said before the tank isn't empty. Some of my riding has garages well over 200km apart and I was was trying to find out how far I might be able to go before the tank ran dry. Hmmmm... will probably have to try it and see (with my wife behind in the car with a can of fuel!).
Which is about the same as what I get so at 240 K you would have about a litre of fuel left. So you would probably get 270 K out of a tank with all highway riding.:D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yesterday I rode 172km and had to tank 7.2 liters, so that 23.8km:1 liter.

Ok I did cruise between 60 and 80km/h, nevertheless is it a very good fuel consumption considering the pc5/cobra setup.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Yesterday I rode 172km and had to tank 7.2 liters, so that 23.8km:1 liter.

Ok I did cruise between 60 and 80km/h, nevertheless is it a very good fuel consumption considering the pc5/cobra setup.
That's a really good figure! I usually cruise between 100 and 120 KM/h. But I spend most of my time in rush hour traffic doing 40 - 55 KM/h:(

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
1. Drain tank.
2. Using VOM, check continuity across sensor.
3. If good, turn on key and use VOM to check for voltage at last connector going into light.
4. If good, then check for voltage at connector coming out of light.
5. If good, then check for continuity between connector and ground.

That should trouble-shoot the whole circuit and indicate where the trouble lies.

Alternatively, you could jumper positive voltage at the connector going into the light. If it comes on, then the sensor is suspect.

Just FWIW.......................

Cheers
Thanks Bar i'll give that a try when i return home next week.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've gone 35 Miles after the idiot light came on. It was actually an accident. On my way home from work one day the idiot light came on. Feeling lazy I decided I'll get gas in the morning. Well I straight up forgot until I got to work the next day and parked the bike. Then it hit me! SHIT THE IDIOT LIGHT WAS ON YESTERDAY! that could have been bad! So I just checked how many miles I had gone since the light came on. 35 miles. I usually never do 20 past the light. That could have been bad!

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Fill a 20z coke bottle of gas a drive around till you run out of gas and then we will know for sure. I would do it but, my bike is in the shop sitting on blocks.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fill a 20z coke bottle of gas a drive around till you run out of gas and then we will know for sure. I would do it but, my bike is in the shop sitting on blocks.
Sitting on blocks!! :eek:

Aren't you guys heading into summer? The Fury should be out ready to run!

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Could just take your average mpg and multiply by 75%. Example: If your light usually comes on at 120 and you usually put in approximately 2.7 gallons you are getting around 44 mph. 75% of 44mpg is 33. Therefore, with these assumptions, you can ride approximately 33 miles before you have to start pushing.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts