Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 Fury 31k miles.

Last week I knew my low fuel indicator was getting ready to display so I rolled into a gas station earlier because it was convenient and cheap (Costco top tier).

I was shocked when it took 3.45 gallons, means I was on fumes.

I checked the trip meter...190 miles. I thought maybe I missed the indicator due to bright sunshine or not paying attention to speedometer lights.

Today I went 180 miles with no low fuel warning so there is something wrong.

I know the Fury owners manual is incorrect and there is no bulb check for the low fuel sensor when turning on ignition key.

My EFI, and oil pressure light, bulb check is working.

After skimming the service manual it says if bulb is not working to replace speedometer. If my problem turns out to be bad bulb I hope to replace the high beam light for my low fuel warning hopefully by switching out wires.

I have never taken the tank off and I know it is a bit of a PIA.

Has anyone had this problem and a easy fix to go along ?

Otherwise will have to dig deeper in the service manual for troubleshooting.

I have not done any recent work on it involving wiring, gas tank, nor removing sidecovers.

I doubt there is a bad fuse since every thing seems to be working fine.

Any tips would be helpful, especially about removing tank.

Thanks
Screenshot_20200812-220528_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Mine comes on when I have used about 2.3 of the available 3.3 gallons

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3.38 gal. tank capacity (pg. 236)

Check if the fuel level electrical connector (plug) is firmly attached to the bottom of the tank...that's caused similar problems in
Thanks for the prompt reply...

I can see the sensor screwed into the tank from right side but no access.

I assume I need to remove seat and loosen tank and lift up for access to electrical plug.

It's 100 ° fahrenheit , to hot to work on right now. Maybe when the sun goes down tonight I'll get into it.

If it is just a matter of reattaching electrical connection it would make my day.

Thanks

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok..
I Iifted tank and got good access.

The connector did seem to have slipped down a bit so I wiggled and jiggled it up tighter.

Hopefully will be able to put enough miles in this weekend to confirm fix.

·
Super Moderator
3,019 Posts
Years back we'd take a small hose, stick it in the gas tank, suck on it until we got a mouth full of gas, spit it out while putting the hose with our thumb over it in a gas can, repeat the process when we realized the end of the hose isn't in the bottom of the tank (or the siphon somehow got broken--like due to lack of paying attention), and see if the Reserve light came on....but we also ate fried chicken, french fries, eggs, bacon, dirt, and stuck other things in our mouths that were ill-advised...oh, the good ol' days...

old_goat.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
we also ate fried chicken, french fries, eggs, bacon, dirt, and stuck other things in our mouths that were ill-advised...oh, the good ol' days...

View attachment 237759
Good old days, so far today I have had all those things except french fries and dirt, and the day is still young (y)

·
Registered
2010 Sabre / Fury hybrid
92 Posts
Years back we'd take a small hose, stick it in the gas tank, suck on it until we got a mouth full of gas, spit it out while putting the hose with our thumb over it in a gas can, repeat the process when we realized the end of the hose isn't in the bottom of the tank (or the siphon somehow got broken--like lack of paying attention), and see if the Reserve light came on....but we also ate fried chicken, french fries, eggs, bacon, dirt, and stuck other things in our mouths that were ill-advised...oh, the good ol' days...

View attachment 237759
AHHHH, I can still taste the 119 octane race fuel from back in the day.
Anyone remember Benzene? Potent stuff.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Final stage of defueling...160 miles and light has not activated. About 25 miles to gas station ⛽ makes this a risky mission.

20200821_123508.jpg

It's 90° today compared to 100 last week .

Possible thunderstorm on the itinerary.

Back to the drawing board troubleshooting using service manual.
20200821_123328.jpg

Heading home early from Julian to Alpine.

Fury handles poorly during flash floods.

Screenshot_20200821-140113_Facebook.jpg

I'm living on the edge..at gas station after 186 miles. A little too close for comfort. A lone rural station with high prices and basic bathroom.

I just added a gallon to get home and hope to remove tank again and actually remove sensor and inspect / clean with minimal fuel to deal with.

I hit a little rain, some deep puddles where it poured earlier no lightning. Still a smile on my face after todays ride.
20200821_165425.jpg

20200821_165450.jpg

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I assume your other indicator lights are functional, such as your MIL and Nuetral indicators... if that is true we can rule out it being a speedometer housing power problem.

When you can get access to the low fuel sensor, unplug both wires from it and put a jumper wire between the two wires and then turn on the ignition.

If the low fuel light comes on then the sensor (thermistor) is bad. Replace it and make sure the new one comes with a new O-ring.... you don't want any leaks.

If the low fuel light still doesn't turn on then you need to check continuity on the light green wire from under the tank to where it goes into the speedometer housing. If that wire is cut or broken along the way then it won't transfer the ground from the sensor to the speedo.

My guess is it's probably a bad thermistor but severely corroded terminals could also be to blame.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I assume your other indicator lights are functional, such as your MIL and Nuetral indicators... if that is true we can rule out it being a speedometer housing power problem.

When you can get access to the low fuel sensor, unplug both wires from it and put a jumper wire between the two wires and then turn on the ignition.

If the low fuel light comes on then the sensor (thermistor) is bad. Replace it and make sure the new one comes with a new O-ring.... you don't want any leaks.

If the low fuel light still doesn't turn on then you need to check continuity on the light green wire from under the tank to where it goes into the speedometer housing. If that wire is cut or broken along the way then it won't transfer the ground from the sensor to the speedo.

My guess is it's probably a bad thermistor but severely corroded terminals could also be to blame.
Great advice ! Thank you.

Yes lights and mil bulbs in speedometer working.

The test is simple and conclusive.

What are the chances of pulling out sensor and doing a cleaning (or tapping with handle of a screwdriver) for a solution ?

Ok, just dreaming. I just want to ride..

Corrosion is a possibility because bike was in a heavy monsoon rain storm couple years ago which I think caused the end of my clutch cable to corrode and break.

Might have time to pull tank tomorrow.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok, this morning lifted tank and completely removed the 2 terminals jumped the wires and fortunately the warning light shown brightly and proudly...feeling pretty good.

This time I thoroughly cleaned and emery clothed terminals and went for a ride. I know it takes some time for light to trigger..no luck, so I went to fill tank assuming sensor defective.

When I filled up it took 2.75 gallons which means there was still 3 quarts still in tank. Probably borderline trigger to activate light. My mistake.

Not interested in siphoning, going riding in couple days to draw it down hopefully to activate around 165 miles.

In the meantime, going to drop some part #s in shopping cart on Amazon and Ebay to see if I get better offers which you usually get leaving items in basket.

Thanks for the tip about the " O Ring " note they are calling it a "gasket".

Making progress !

Screenshot_20200822-182426_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200822-182311_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered and received the fuel level sensor and all systems are now "GO" !
20200909_213319.jpg

I was able to replace the unit without disconnecting the fuel lines by riding the bike 150 miles after filling tank to bottom of brim...leaving about 3 quarts. This allowed me remove the tank and to lower the front of tank so fuel will not flow out of the fitting.

Screenshot_20200909-181704_Gallery.jpg

NOTE: This part # INCLUDES the rubber like ribbed gasket, no need to order separately !

Screenshot_20200822-182426_Gallery.jpg

Install SUGGESTION :

To avoid damaging $1000.00 tank I wedged front wheel (straight forward)on both sides to prevent bars from slamming into tank. I also wrapped tank in a moving blanket and lowered front of tank down on to a short chair.

As everyone knows, the Fury tank is pretty small. It is important to fill the tank right up to the bottom of the brim (since the tank is pretty wide at the top). Then reset both tripmeters. A stock Fury at moderate speeds should make it to 150 miles to low fuel light. Then reset 1 of the tripmeters and you should be good for another 30 miles...YMMV !

Hope this helps fellow Fury riders !

RIDE ON !

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I ordered and received the fuel level sensor and all systems are now "GO" ! View attachment 238036

I was able to replace the unit without disconnecting the fuel lines by riding the bike 150 miles after filling tank to bottom of brim...leaving about 3 quarts. This allowed me remove the tank and to lower the front of tank so fuel will not flow out of the fitting.

View attachment 238037

NOTE: This part # INCLUDES the rubber like ribbed gasket, no need to order separately !

View attachment 238038

Install SUGGESTION :

To avoid damaging $1000.00 tank I wedged front wheel (straight forward)on both sides to prevent bars from slamming into tank. I also wrapped tank in a moving blanket and lowered front of tank down on to a short chair.

As everyone knows, the Fury tank is pretty small. It is important to fill the tank right up to the bottom of the brim (since the tank is pretty wide at the top). Then reset both tripmeters. A stock Fury at moderate speeds should make it to 150 miles to low fuel light. Then reset 1 of the tripmeters and you should be good for another 30 miles...YMMV !

Hope this helps fellow Fury riders !

RIDE ON !
Glad you got it sorted out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts