1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Thanks, appreciate it... can't lose this one :D

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Cool! What does the I, C, and R stand for?

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Anyone ever change their oil more often than every 8,000 miles after the initial change? Seems like alot of mileage between changes....

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Anyone ever change their oil more often than every 8,000 miles after the initial change? Seems like alot of mileage between changes....
That would determine on how you ride... ride it like you stole it, every 3 to 4k miles and also the warranty recommends every 3 to 4k as well... Ride it like a cruiser should be rider, probably closer to 8k if you aren't too worried about the warranty, although don't think they can ding you as the manual says 8k. Oh, and use the closest grade gas to 86 as possible, not 91 or 93 octane.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
On the 4 lane highways, I generally ride 75-80 on roads I'm familiar with and knowing where the law usually likes to hide. I don't take off like a bat out of hell. Just ease it up there and cruise. On unfamiliar roads, I generally stay somewhere under 10 miles over the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Since you're running a little faster, would be recommended every 3 to 4k miles, could do even 5k as well. You are building up more heat and viscosity going at faster speeds (most bike manufacturers test the mpg @ 55-65 mph) which will have the effect of breaking down your oil faster.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Thanks Gar, Redspawn.....I agree, oil is cheap insurance.....I'll change it at about 3k.....

I've not had efi or water cooled bikes before.....I use Lucas in my trucks/cars to clean the injectors (good stuff, like a mechanic in a bottle, imo)....any need to consider an injector cleaner down the road?

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
LOL!!! Yeah, it's theoretically in the fuel, along with water, rust, crud, etc.....

My wife's Honda (car) was sputtering badly and wouldn't start well....I put some Lucas in it and it cleaned it out and ran fine....

Anyone here ever use injector cleaner in any of their bikes that had efi? Just wondered if it would be a bad thing to use it at, say, 10k????

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Keep the gas @ 87 Octane and run a bottle of Techron Fuel System (OR something similar) cleaner through the bike once a year and you'll be good.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Oh, just an FYI... if you leave your bike sitting for more than a month, make sure to put some seafoam in the gas tank, it's a stabilizer for your gas. Or make sure it is empty or pretty darn close to empty...

(I generally don't, but have left my car sitting with fuel in it for 3 months, 1/8 of a tank and no problems, filled it up immediately when I got back though)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts