Honda Fury Forums: banner

How many MBL~miles before light~ do you go on average?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is "MBL"? Miles before light or the dummy light for your gas tank. What is everybody logging there's at? Here's a chance to prove how crappy your MPG are or how Sweet and ridiculous they are. If you're gas is in km, here is a handy little calculator: Kilometers to Miles (km to miles) conversion calculator

Also, if you like, please add how fast you actually drive on average as that will also be an indication and if you have any mods that define your MPG for those that want to know... There are many things that affect MBL, so just understand that we will have to compare a few things to get an average or understanding of the situation better.

Oh, don't forget to check tire pressure every now and then fella's...

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Thanks for making the poll for Woodenhorse. Like i said in the other thread i get like 120ish MBL with around town/stop and go traffic and that's with cracking open the throttle quiet a bit so i can hear the exhaust. below is the mods i have that would affect MBL:

Morton Inferno's with power cones
Cobra FC <factory settings of 1-2-0>
180 degree slotted spike air intake with L&M adapter
87 Octane gas

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for making the poll for Woodenhorse. Like i said in the other thread i get like 120ish MBL with around town/stop and go traffic and that's with cracking open the throttle quiet a bit so i can hear the exhaust. below is the mods i have that would affect MBL:

Morton Inferno's with power cones
Cobra FC <factory settings of 1-2-0>
180 degree slotted spike air intake with L&M adapter
as i wrote in my last post, i just got my bike. what should i mod first that would make the biggest difference. I get about 98MBL ridding mostly highway running 80-85 MPH,

·
Registered
370 Posts
My system is still stock. Light at 105-110 with a pretty good mix of stop/go and highway. I usually fill to the bottom of the neck and most mpg calcs come in right around 46. However, on one high altitude ride I calculated just over 50mpg. Don't know if the altitude had anything to do with the increase, or if I was just riding different on the winding mountain roads. I use mid-grade gas at 87 octane as regular around here is under the recommended 86.

·
Registered
305 Posts
D&M spike, FI200 (2,3,0), Cobra Swepts (no baffles)

Mixed town and highway driving.

Jobslave wrote:
what should i mod first that would make the biggest difference. I get about 98MBL ridding mostly highway running 80-85 MPH,
Your wrist :) LOL

You use a lot more fuel at 85 than you do at 65. Remember velocity takes power (gas for us) and power is a cube function, not linear.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have not paid attention. On longer rides where I am paying attention I fill up every chance I get. No sense in pushing it if you don't have to. The first day I had it I was running 65-85 and the light came on at about 95 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Thread Police

as i wrote in my last post, i just got my bike. what should i mod first that would make the biggest difference. I get about 98MBL ridding mostly highway running 80-85 MPH,
well i don't want to hijack this thread or the thread police will get after us, so either find another thread and post there or start your own thread and we'll discuss what the best way about modding your bike should be, everyone has a different opinion on this so expect a lot of opinions.

guess i should throw something about MBL in here so i am not totally hijacking lol, how many miles are on your bike if you are only getting 98, must be new and still breaking in, i think any engine is going to need to break in some before it starts getting better gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
D&M spike, FI200 (2,3,0), Cobra Swepts (no baffles)

Mixed town and highway driving.

Jobslave wrote:

Your wrist :) LOL

You use a lot more fuel at 85 than you do at 65. Remember velocity takes power (gas for us) and power is a cube function, not linear.
Wow, you really picked my nerve when you wrote this, do not give out calculations if you do not know what the hell you are talking about...

First off, how the hell is power rated in cubed or to the power of three? Where are you learning your physics from, high school? Unless you are talking about the cubed root, which is the same thing as "cubed", the power is not cubed... First off, the units that you should be using should be compatible with the SI units, which stands for System of Units, which all scientists use, besides the bloody french...

Second, do you actually know velocity is speed?

Third, Power = work/time or force x distance/time... AND Velocity = power/force, (that would also be velocity x force = power btw) that is the only place where velocity has anything to do with power and it is not cubed and that is the exact thing I am talking about.

I have never heard of it used in the power of cubed. BTW, just trying to sound smart, does not indicate that there's actual logic behind it...

Do you want me to go into more physics examples or do we continue? Please provide examples if you continue.

Somebody prove me wrong here and show me the website where velocity = power ^3.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Wow, you really picked my nerve when you wrote this, do not give out calculations if you do not know what the hell you are talking about...

First off, how the hell is power rated in cubed or to the power of three? Where are you learning your physics from, high school? Unless you are talking about the cubed root, which is the same thing as "cubed", the power is not cubed... First off, the units that you should be using should be compatible with the SI units, which stands for System of Units, which all scientists use, besides the bloody french...

Third, Power = work/time or force x distance/time... AND Velocity = power/force, (that would also be velocity x force = power btw) that is the only place where velocity has anything to do with power and it is not cubed and that is the exact thing I am talking about.

I have never heard of it used in the power of cubed. BTW, just trying to sound smart, does not indicate that there's actual logic behind it...

Do you want me to go into more physics examples or do we continue? Please provide examples if you continue.

i missed you :eek:

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
My light will first wink at me around 120, but not stay steady on. I never pushed it past that. I ride mostly country roads, 25 miles each way to work, or often 100-300 mile day trips. I usually hold it around 65 to 70. Still stock pipes, stock intake :(

·
Registered
806 Posts

Ease up commuity college, no need to blow a gasket.

The simpleest formula for velocity is just v=d/t, distane/time. A more exact calculation takes initial velocity into account where v=Vo+at where Vo is initial velocity, a is acceleration and t is time.

I will say that Red is sort of right about the cubed function part. Velocity is actually a linear function as both distance and time are vectors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
100 mi for me. all city stop-go type traffic. always reffin" hard on the throttle, usually late for work!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
If i hang around 50 i get around 140 MPL, If i do about 70 i get about 120 MPL. Worst was on Turnpike I ran mostly 80ish MPH and got 105 MPL.

I got my Jardine drag pipes, and they DynoJet PC-V

·
Registered
144 Posts
I get 127 miles before the light comes on. I ride pretty much at the speed limit - which is 65 out here. Not very many stop lights either, but a LOT of head winds and cross winds. Got the Cobra Swept pipes, and not much else.

Which raises a question I've been wondering about...how much is left when the light comes on? I bought my bike used and didn't get an owner's manual or anything, so I have no idea how much further I can go once the light comes on.

Oh...and please chill - no need to slam each other or get worked up over something as trivial as a goof-up on an equation or even just not fully understanding. Let's leave the drama to the reality TV drama queens. :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
130+ MBL; Im running Cobra swepts, Fi2000 (1,2,2 i think), stock aircleaner. Mostly around town driving the occasional throttle rips

·
Registered
324 Posts
i just have the demon cycle intake and cobra exhaust. it usually comes on around 120-130, sometimes up to 135. i use the cheap gas because thats all the manual calls for. unless you are running higher compression and/or nitrous/boost you are just wasting money on the higher octane stuff

·
64 Posts
stock exhaust, stock air intake, 93 octane or 94 if available, getting roughly 120 miles before the light, sometimes 130, just a cruisin, if i do highway usually 70-75.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts