Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week I received my Memphis Shades Speed Demon windscreen in solar. From 50 mph and up the wind pressure was just too much for me and needed to start resolving it.

I'm 5' 10". With it tilted in the best looking, more angled position, I can see just over it but still don't like the view, and, while it helped the body pressure, it introduced a ton of buffeting to the head. Angling forward helped even more with body pressure but made the head buffeting even worse.

So rather than go down a path of selling and trying, re-trying other options, I cut her down tonight. Bingo! Perfection.

With a caveat; a bit of head bobble. Not super bad and doesn't feel like the swirling buffeting as before that was moving my head everywhere. I believe it's because of the open face HJC i30 helmet, which I love due to the more open feeling and my first open face. At 60, with no body pressure at all, I can easily hold the chin edge of the visor and the bobble stops, so I believe air is pushing under my chin into the helmet.

Pretty sure getting a sport bike helmet such as the Arais I've had should solve this. So the i30 for shorter rides with less highway, and a sport helmet for the longer ones on highways.

So glad this is behind me and higher speeds are more enjoyable! Hope this helps anyone else encountering speed demon buffeting. It's a pretty easy mod.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Glad that you found yourself a solution.

I really like that blue on your bike, looks good!

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, me too! At first I wanted a black bike, but blue is the only 2020 color. It's a dark shade and it's growing on me.

Was a little stressed about not finding a solution and screwing up the mod.

In the gas station photo it looks like it's still tall and super wide, but I took the shot lower than head height and when riding it doesn't look so dramatically wide.

Glad that you found yourself a solution.

I really like that blue on your bike, looks good!

·
Registered
248 Posts
So last week I received my Memphis Shades Speed Demon windscreen in solar. From 50 mph and up the wind pressure was just too much for me and needed to start resolving it.

I'm 5' 10". With it tilted in the best looking, more angled position, I can see just over it but still don't like the view, and, while it helped the body pressure, it introduced a ton of buffeting to the head. Angling forward helped even more with body pressure but made the head buffeting even worse.

So rather than go down a path of selling and trying, re-trying other options, I cut her down tonight. Bingo! Perfection.

With a caveat; a bit of head bobble. Not super bad and doesn't feel like the swirling buffeting as before that was moving my head everywhere. I believe it's because of the open face HJC i30 helmet, which I love due to the more open feeling and my first open face. At 60, with no body pressure at all, I can easily hold the chin edge of the visor and the bobble stops, so I believe air is pushing under my chin into the helmet.

Pretty sure getting a sport bike helmet such as the Arais I've had should solve this. So the i30 for shorter rides with less highway, and a sport helmet for the longer ones on highways.

So glad this is behind me and higher speeds are more enjoyable! Hope this helps anyone else encountering speed demon buffeting. It's a pretty easy mod.

View attachment 239485
View attachment 239486
View attachment 239487
You done GOOD and looks GREAT!! I have kept my Demon at full height and use a half helmet .... each to his own, I guess. (No problem running the highway at above posted speeds, must be because I'm in Florida!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!! Glad it worked for you as is. I had hoped it would for me, no worries, it's all good now.

You done GOOD and looks GREAT!! I have kept my Demon at full height and use a half helmet .... each to his own, I guess. (No problem running the highway at above posted speeds, must be because I'm in Florida!)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks!! Glad it worked for you as is. I had hoped it would for me, no worries, it's all good now.
I almost forgot .... forgot to include the sunglasses and gloves I wear. They DEFINITELY keeps the wind pressure down ... something has to?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks and yep, that was my next step if it still had issues and is why I left a little higher than I'd first planned.

Was going to use a blow dryer because I don't have a heat gun. Really hoping I don't have to go that route, having gotten this far without issues; worried I might screw it up.

Should I try it and avoid spending the dough on a more expensive full face helmet? I'd love to be able to keep the open face I have now for all ride types, if possible.

If you heat and form the upper edge into a bit of a forward curve (don't overdo it, Memphis calls it a "spoiler") it will shoot the wind up and over. Below is an extreme spoiler so that the shape is overly-obvious.

View attachment 239489

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really all it takes to get rid of the small head bobble in a test is too just lightly hold the bottom of the visor near my chin. It's a properly fitted helmet imo and tight in the right places; it just seems like air is being forced under it and it's probably not as aero dynamic as a full face.

I'm concerned that if I bend the windscreen up I'll revert in progress and create a new problem, without being able to get it back to where it is now.

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
You could put a piece of felt (or other clean cloth) on your existing windscreen and quick-clamp a piece of thin sheet plastic to it, then go for a ride.

From there, form the sheet plastic to what you're thinking (keeping the heat off the windscreen--the felt/cloth will help) and go for another ride.

Bending plastic without a form is a bit challenging, so if the thin test piece works you might make a wood form and bend the current windscreen to what you want (your mileage may vary).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I started to heat with a blow dryer and not nearly hot enough to heat a large enough area to bend consistently.

I've since resolved the head bobble, in steps. First I got a full face helmet in the proper size; my open face was too big.

Then I angled the wind screen forward at the top and raised it half an inch, getting about 1.5 inches more.

Then I added Memphis Shades lowers, but I think installed upside down and higher; didn't read the directions but knew where I wanted to start with.

Test drove tonight and all together resolved!

But.....I'm left with engine vibration channeling thru. I'd felt it before but with all the other issues together it didn't stick as much.

I'm only 150 lbs and the rear shock is on the lightest setting, and still too firm. I'm guessing the lack flex in the suspension is preventing some of the engine vibration from bleeding thru the suspension, instead channeling thru the seat and front head tube? I'm pretty sure engine vibration is the last issue because when at 60 mph, which is really where the remaining issue starts, or higher, and with the clutch engaged and coasting, the issue disappears and it's smooth sailing.

Anyone else feeling such vibrations? Solutions? Low and mean shock replacement?

You could put a piece of felt (or other clean cloth) on your existing windscreen and quick-clamp a piece of thin sheet plastic to it, then go for a ride.

From there, form the sheet plastic to what you're thinking (keeping the heat off the windscreen--the felt/cloth will help) and go for another ride.

Bending plastic without a form is a bit challenging, so if the thin test piece works you might make a wood form and bend the current windscreen to what you want (your mileage may vary).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Read some posts here on engine vibration. Looking like I'm getting a normal amount. My last v twin vibrated too, just not quite as much. At least the head bobble is gone and I can my head doesn't move anymore...lol.

Oh, and, while not terrible, I'm not really thrilled about the look of the lowers. At some point I might shape my own, with a spike at an angle/triangle down the fork tubes and angling out and up to align with the bottom of the windscreen's angle, without covering the turn signal.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Read some posts here on engine vibration. Looking like I'm getting a normal amount. My last v twin vibrated too, just not quite as much. At least the head bobble is gone and I can my head doesn't move anymore...lol.

Oh, and, while not terrible, I'm not really thrilled about the look of the lowers. At some point I might shape my own, with a spike at an angle/triangle down the fork tubes and angling out and up to align with the bottom of the windscreen's angle, without covering the turn signal.
Good idea .... keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
But.....I'm left with engine vibration channeling thru. I'd felt it before but with all the other issues together it didn't stick as much.
Put lead weight in the end of the left handlebar. Due to the way the controls are set up there seems to be a pretty wide-frequency harmonic resonance there; the lead damps that. (Mind you your setup is different and this solution may not be 100% effective--your mileage may vary).

Karina4.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Makes sense! Not finding 1 1/4 inch bar ends yet but will resume searching tomorrow. If anyone already knows some choices, much appreciated. At least that's the Fury handle bar size I found just now.

Put lead weight in the end of the left handlebar. Due to the way the controls are set up there seems to be a pretty wide-frequency harmonic resonance there; the lead damps that. (Mind you your setup is different and this solution may not be 100% effective--your mileage may vary).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts