Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after reading TONS of positive reviews, both here as well on the various vendor sites, I think I'm pretty well settled on a new set of ME 880's. I plan on staying with stock sizes, as I'm not ready for a bigger rear tire and don't feel like it really does much for the aesthetic I'm looking to achieve.

My question is this: where can I find the best deal on a new set? Best price I've found so far was BikeBandit.com with the set costing $320.71 shipped.

I'll be buying soon (sooner with the right deal), so any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Can add to the positive reviews about the ME880's.. not on the Fury (yet) but on my old Magna 750 it really woke the handling up when switching from the stock Dunlops to the Metzelers.
As far as price.. on Jet.com the set comes to $308 shipped and as a new customer you can get an addl 15% off for a total cost of $262

Ugh.. Didn't realize this was an old posting.. Disregard :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ok, after reading TONS of positive reviews, both here as well on the various vendor sites, I think I'm pretty well settled on a new set of ME 880's. I plan on staying with stock sizes, as I'm not ready for a bigger rear tire and don't feel like it really does much for the aesthetic I'm looking to achieve.

My question is this: where can I find the best deal on a new set? Best price I've found so far was BikeBandit.com with the set costing $320.71 shipped.

I'll be buying soon (sooner with the right deal), so any help is greatly appreciated!
Never Again!
Used ME880's on my 1998 Shadow Spirit 1100 and loved them so I put them on my Fury when the Dunlop wore out. I got 22,000km on the Dunlop and 12,000 on the Metzeler. Handling change was not noticeable at all other than how much lighter the bike was due to my empty wallet from replacing tires twice as often!:grin: I have run two more Dunlop E3's after the Metzler experience with 22,000 on each. I will stick to the Dunlop E3 for the rest of the bikes life. Of course many still swear by the Metzler so maybe mine was bad? I would like to know if anyone has run a Metzler ME888 to see if it wears better than the ME880?

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
Well, I have 27,000 kilometers (17,000 miles) on my original tires and the groves are all but gone on the front and not far behind on the rear :wink:.
Weather is warming up out here on The Island so switching to ME880's today since I bought them before the bike 6 years ago :3ek:.

Not expecting to get the same distance.

Years ago I used to get 3000 miles (5000 Km) on my Sport Bike Comp K racing compound street tires but they were soooo much stickier than the OEM Dunlops and worth every nickle. Back then I only rode twisties, not distance, so I still got a few years from each set.

Attachments

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
Hey Gar!!! I'm in the same predicament. Running on slicks.
Good to 'see' you again Bob; log time :toast:

If I were to do it over again I'd stick with the Dunlops since I haven't had any issues since new, unlike I did with the sport bike. Kinda jumped the gun 6 years ago based on that unrelated experience but got a good deal so I'll report back on my impressions.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
Well, I've just put 100 miles on my new Metzelers and they are smooth as silk with no balancing. I've no complaints about the Dunlops but these Metzelers seem a bit stickier (thus the reported somewhat shorter life expectancy) although that is a very subjective observation since I haven't ridden for 4 months and I have no way of measuring the difference, if any.

Suffice it to say they do feel GOOD and of course first ride of first season is very exhilarating.

I mounted the tires yesterday and next time I'll let a shop with a proper tire changing machine do it mark free. Even rim guards are not enough to avoid some minor damage to the paint which is hard to see unless you get very close.
First 15 miles I rode it exactly like I stole it. Very confidence inspiring just out of hiberation >:)

Attachments

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
I know you're an old hand, Gar, but peeps should be very careful on brand new tires -- they need breaking in to wear off the new before hauling ass around curves.:3ek:
You got the wrong message here Vic and no asses, foot pegs or mufflers were hauled around corers in this evaluation. These new tires just feel like they have more grip right out of the gate and into any corner than the worn Dunlops is all I'm saying. It has nothing to do with break-in. I just ride to the feel of the bike and the condition of the road but nothing beyond the design intent of the bike or close to the threshold of traction. Could be all in my head but but I think the Metzelers have very good grip that is at least as good as the Dunlops.

p.s. Clarification to previous statement: First 15 miles I rode it exactly like I stole a chopper, LoL.
With almost 100 miles there is now ½" of unscuffed rubber on the outside edges of the front tread and ⅛" on the rear.

Further note: Metzeler lists two tires 200/50 R 18 M/C (76H) and 200/50 ZR 18 M/C (76W) for the rear and 90/90 - 21 M/C (54H) for the front. Mine are in bold. Rear made in Germany, front made in Brazil.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Oh, I definitely agree with you on the Metzelers' feel over Dunlops. I've used Metzelers on all my bikes. In fact, my Fury came from the factory with Metzelers 880 tires. Love 'em.

I was just making sure others knew that you need to get the "new" scuffed off of new tires with a few miles riding before getting too aggressive.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
my fury came from the dealer with the metzlers . I was happy as all get out . I have always run metzlers on all my bikes and I love them. I personally cant stand Dunlop tires and I realize that's just my opinion. I never had the first problem out of the metzlers . could be luck or riding style but im going to be sticking with them. But we all know it comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well, I have 27,000 kilometers (17,000 miles) on my original tires and the groves are all but gone on the front and not far behind on the rear :wink:.
Weather is warming up out here on The Island so switching to ME880's today since I bought them before the bike 6 years ago :3ek:.

Not expecting to get the same distance.

Years ago I used to get 3000 miles (5000 Km) on my Sport Bike Comp K racing compound street tires but they were soooo much stickier than the OEM Dunlops and worth every nickle. Back then I only rode twisties, not distance, so I still got a few years from each set.

27,000 is amazing! Definitely why I like the Dunlops. However, I must admit that the fat Metz is a prettier tire and damn good performance wise. Just wish it lasted like they did on my old Shadow.
You better put lots of km's on Gar so we can see how many you squeeze out of the Metzlers. How fast can you do that?:flamebike:

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
You better put lots of km's on Gar so we can see how many you squeeze out of the Metzlers. How fast can you do that?:flamebike:
Nowhere as fast as you mate :toast:
Took 6 years for the first round. Now if I can just keep up my first two day average of 150 Km/day ... X 240 (8 months insurance) ... minus below 15°C days ... X 0.7 ... yep, that'd probably wipe off the grooves >:)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I must order me some new ME 880's. My old Dunlops have , I think, over 27000 miles on them. And my front is looking very thin. But my back still has a lot of tread left. Oh well.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
I must order me some new ME 880's. My old Dunlops have , I think, over 27000 miles on them. And my front is looking very thin. But my back still has a lot of tread left. Oh well.
I only got 17K (miles) on mine but thought my back had a fair bit left until I looked at the outside area of the tread and some of the grooves were all but gone. I guess cornering involves more slip and thus more wear.

FN, check out the Michelin Commander II in the video. Might be worth considering? Front 90/90 - 21 M/C 54H F TL Rear 200/50 R 18 MC 76H R TL

Just check it out and it looks like they now only offer a 240/40 in an 18" wheel.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If I go with Michelin, I would have to use the COMMANDER2 240/40R-18 M/C 79V as my rear since I will be using my newly widenned rear rim. And putting my new white spikes on also.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts