Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this issue where the ball joint behind my new Drag specialty mirrors is not strong enough to keep the mirror in place when I'm riding on the freeway. (Only the mirror on the left side). I'm wondering if it's a defect or it's something that all aftermarket mirror has problem with?

Is there a way to tighten the socket that the ball joint is lodged in? Or do I pretty much have to get some glue and glue it in place?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
So I have this issue where the ball joint behind my new Drag specialty mirrors is not strong enough to keep the mirror in place when I'm riding on the freeway. (Only the mirror on the left side). I'm wondering if it's a defect or it's something that all aftermarket mirror has problem with?

Is there a way to tighten the socket that the ball joint is lodged in? Or do I pretty much have to get some glue and glue it in place?

Thanks!
My daughter let me in on a secret....use clear fingernail polish on the ball joint and let it dry....:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
you just drip it in there? or do you have to take the assembly apart and apply it?
I set the mirrors where I wanted them and took the little nail polish brush and brushed several coats all over the balljoint....been fine since...but like I said, I used several coats....almost messed up her brush thingy jamming the polish on. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I set the mirrors where I wanted them and took the little nail polish brush and brushed several coats all over the balljoint....been fine since...but like I said, I used several coats....almost messed up her brush thingy jamming the polish on. :)
Alright, I'm gonna go buy myself a bottle of those. I actually did a online search and apparently a lot of model builder uses that method. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts

Thanks!
which mirrors are they??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no allens or nut on back side of the mirror itself?
There is a allen that goes from the arm to the backside of the mirror. That one is tighten and locktited (blue). the socket that the ball joint is resting in doesn't seem to have a way to be tighten.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
There is a allen that goes from the arm to the backside of the mirror. That one is tighten and locktited (blue). the socket that the ball joint is resting in doesn't seem to have a way to be tighten.
clear polish on the ball then

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
good luck, Matte. My Kury Magnum Left mirror does the same thing.
i've done the loctite red and blue--i can sneeze that stuff off.
let us know how the nail polish works.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
I read this thread and think some of you are talking about the ball on the back side of the mirror and others are talking about the post or mirror adapter. In any case, I learned to try clear polish on the little ball if I have trouble keeping it tight. Actually, I think I have over tightened mine and will eventually have a problem. Now I have the solution!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I found couple things after buying the clear nail polish.

drag specialty's ball joints can be tightened! apparently the base where the ball join sets in can be twisted. However even with that the ball joints itself is a tiny bit loose (it's not going to flop anymore but it can be vibrated out of position). So I still used a bit of nail polish and now it's rock solid!

Now I have a set of aftermarket mirror that I never had to worry about it failing! Sweet!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
A small spot of stainless TIG would lock it up forever, but you better have it correctly positioned before you do it! LOL.

Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts