Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to order some nice mirrors, what's my best bet as far as ease of installation and gettin everything i need? Thx in advance

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Looking to order some nice mirrors, what's my best bet as far as ease of installation and gettin everything i need? Thx in advance
I have the Scythe II mirrors which look hot and catch the eye BUT they are so damn crappy as far as installation. Had to use loctite on them because they kept flapping down at high speeds. Good Luck!

Larry

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have the Scythe II mirrors which look hot and catch the eye BUT they are so damn crappy as far as installation. Had to use loctite on them because they kept flapping down at high speeds. Good Luck!

Larry
+1. Had to use loctite blue on all the thread on the left mirror.

As far as mirror shopping, try to find one that extends out to the left and right further than the stock bars so you will be able to see behind you. That's one of the things I like best about these mirrors. With the stock ones, I could see my shoulders, or lean to one side to see behind me.

IMO, changing out the mirrors is one of the best mods you can do to make the bike look better.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree red.... Thinking to just order at the dealer and let them do it... Seems like mirrors are like the kury engine covers" which I still have in the box""" a big pain in the sack.... Scathe mirrors" not II" are nice too... And I,ll have to buy those adapters, correct???

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If you order them from your dealer and can get the mirrors and adaptor for about $130 with free install, go for it.

If they charge you for labor, you are better off doing it yourself. A monkey can install these mirrors, that being said, you will end up needing to re tighten the mirrors eventually, and if you can handle that, you should have no problems putting them on yourself.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Know of any monkies that could do it for cheap? Lol... I know I could do it, just need to see and hold in person, it's easier...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
A buddy of mine told me to use teflon tape for screws instead of loctite. Do you guys agree?
He has a Big dog custom chopper and keeps plenty of stock on hand when something falls off. He never had a problem after usung the teflon tape. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
A buddy of mine told me to use teflon tape for screws instead of loctite. Do you guys agree?
Interesting. One normally uses Teflon tape or liquid to keep threaded fasteners FROM sticking, not to lock them up. I would think that the use of Teflon, in any form, would exacerbate this problem, not cure it. FWIW.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
True but teflon tape will take up the small gaps btween the threads when screwed together making it a tighter fit.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
teflon isnt for "tightness" it is used in liquid applications for create a better seal so it doesnt leak. it might make it hold a little better but you could wrap it anything and jam it in there and it would do the same thing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi, I put on a set of RIVCO LED mirrors, they stick out a couple of inches past the bars either side and the lenses are slightly convex. Riding with these is so much easier, you can see everything behind you without having to move your head. I removed the lolly pop blinkers and just use these, they are not the brightest in daylight but good enough to get away with.

Mounting I used the Kuryakyn mounts and they worked great, no vibration, no teflon tape? and no thread locker cement. The mirrors never shift, even adjusting them riding along is pretty tough. The electrical cable is well hidden and is long enough to get down into the headlight to connect to the original blinker connectors. I bought new connectors off ebay as I didn't want to cut the originals, about $8 for a pair.

They look great, lots of comments and a few Harleys in town are now running with them ... good to see the Fury cutting the way for the Heavy Iron.
Heres a photo of them, I thought they would be to big but when fitted are a perfect compromise for safety, blinkers and looks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was looking at my mirrors etc, looks as if it would be quite easy changing them.... Remove stock mirrors from bottom near clutch n brake levers and replace with new ones with mirror and adapter.... Seems easy, am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Was looking at my mirrors etc, looks as if it would be quite easy changing them.... Remove stock mirrors from bottom near clutch n brake levers and replace with new ones with mirror and adapter.... Seems easy, am I missing something?
Nope, that's pretty much it, have some loctite on stand by next to you and put some on before you start, then get the mirrors semi tight about 90-120 degree's away from where you want the mirrors to finally sit, then adjust it to it's proper position with a good semi strong rotation. If that makes sense that is... lol.. :rolleyes: Take it out for a ride, adjust accordingly before the loctite dries.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Cool, thx red... So wherever threads involved, use loctite?
Pretty much yes, there are a couple of items that I regularily change out like the seat and sissy bar assembly that I put anti-seize on, but besides that... Loctite is a good practice to get used to... as I found out when my new swing-wing peg came loose after I forgot to put some loctite on it... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
about to do my first mod. I didn't realize I needed an adapter set. I've looked at the kuryakyn ones online. Can someone confirm I need the metric ones? I'm using them with drag specialties mirrors.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts