Honda Fury Forums: banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
That looks sweet!

If it weren’t for the fact that I live a mile down a gravel road, and thus actually need the functionality of the fender, I’d love a look like that!
Yeah, it does tend to throw mud up onto the bottom of the tank. :co-ol:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Doesn’t look like much to me.

Second pic shows the small plastic tab that the metal inner frame pushes against. The clearance is minimal, but no marks on rubber despite the fender vibrating noticeably more at speed without that frame in place.

Third pic shows old rubber pre tire change... prolly could’ve gotten a few thousand more miles out of it, eh? ?
So, you still running that front tire, and if so how's it working/handling?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So here's a ballbuster... I switched to a 120/70R21 front tire three years ago... I've worn it out and now when I go online to shop for the same (Dunlop Elite 3) I'm hitting multiple "Sold out" / "Out of stock" messages on retailers.

If anyone randomly stumbles upon a site or physical location selling this tire, could you let me know, please? Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
What's the next level after ballbuster? Well this is now two levels beyond that... I mentioned the Dunlop Elite 3 in 120/70R21 which I have been running for three years is unavailable... so I went ahead and ordered a Bridgestone Exedra in 120/70R21... (I was mentally preparing to post a separate thread to take the wind out of the sails of all the "you can't mix tires" crowd, so let's put a pin in that topic within this thread, please...)

Pulled the wheel easy peasy, spooned off the old Dunlop, spooned on the new Bridgestone with a little bit more effort...

However...

Beads won't grab so I can't inflate it! A section stays down in the drop center...

I've tried ratchet strap techniques multiple times, I have dismounted the Bridgestone and smoothed out even the tiniest rough spots in the drop center...

I inflated two bike tubes inside the tire and set it in the sun to provide a little more natural outward pressure at the bead when I remounted...

I'm at my wit's end (I know, I know -- that's really not that far...)

Ideas? I think my next step is to just take it a normal tire joint to see if they can use their bead blaster real quick to see if that might succeed...

·
Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
373 Posts
Try removing the valve core. I assume you have a air compressor with at least 120psi.
If so proceed, try to get one side of the tire evenly spaced on the rim. Now take some dish soap right out the bottle nozzle and coat the shit out of where the tire is on the rim on both sides and hit the air. Watch your eyes that soap will go everywhere. Once it seats replace the valve core. Let us know.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you for the input @powgenman. Yes, I have a strong compressor, so I proceeded.

I believe my main issue will continue to be that I cannot get either side fully up out of the drop center (or even hovering on the edge of being out of the drop center for that matter!).

Regardless, I poured a bottle of dish soap all around it to try the technique. Blasted the air with no valve stem in...

Pretty bubbles! :cautious::cautious::cautious:

It's like Bridgestone's 120/70R21 is a different measurement than Dunlop's -- there were no antics whatsoever when I originally changed from 90/90 to 120/70...

·
Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
373 Posts
Damn😠
I'm sorry man. That usually works like a charm. I don't know what to tell you 😕
Accept good luck 👍

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Cheeta Bead Seater? Didn't hear of it until @Kbuskill...

That video was like a hidden camera mockumentary of my trials and tribulations…

Thankfully, today I took the wheel to this shop (moderntirect.com) near my work and they worked their magic with Bead Sealer (a rubber solution).

Wheel is back on the Fury and now I can move on to evaluating the Bridgestone Exedra!

Thanks again to those who offered help (and those who offered comic relief)!

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
That video was like a hidden camera mockumentary of my trials and tribulations…

Thankfully, today I took the wheel to this shop (moderntirect.com) near my work and they worked their magic with Bead Sealer (a rubber solution).

Wheel is back on the Fury and now I can move on to evaluating the Bridgestone Exedra!

Thanks again to those who offered help (and those who offered comic relief)!
No shame in taking it to the tyre shop to get it done. I have a buddy of mine who changed his own tyres on his Fury. After that he told me he would never do it again and he will take it to a tyre or bike shop next time. For the small amount they charge to fit the tyres it's not worth your time to stuff around in your garage if you don't have to.

If I may ask why did you change from the stock front size?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If I may ask why did you change from the stock front size?
I find the handling superior.
My other bikes (besides the sidecar which is completely different) are a GSXR750 for the street and an Aprilia RSV4 for the track. I’m all about the turns. I like the bigger contact patch associated with this profile.
You can see I favor lefts:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts