Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This baffle mod is a quick and easy no cost solution that might come in handy for those of you who are running baffles in your cobra swept pipe and looking for a little added sound. It might also be a nice option for those of you who have removed your baffles and might like to have an option of a quick in and out of the baffles come inspection time. It might also help those who have removed your baffles and find your pipes to loud yet not loud enough with the baffles in.

I started playing around with the stock baffles looking for a new sound while still creating some engine back pressure to help out with the performance of the engine and this is what I came up with.

The first photo below shows the stock baffle and the second photo shows the new modified baffle. I made the modified baffle by using the front section of the Cobra stock baffle. I cut off and used the first 4 inches of the stock baffles. I then drilled a 3/8" center hole in the end of the baffle for some added sound and to also help out with install. I tapped out the center hole with some threads to accommodate a piece of 3/8 threaded rod that I screwed into the baffle used for the alignment help on the install.

Any one who has removed the Cobra baffles knows what a pain in the ass it is to get them out and pretty near impossible to get them back in alignment on the install. For this problem I sanded down the outside diameter of the baffle so they would slide in and out very easy. The use of the threaded rod screwed into the center baffle hole now makes it very easy to slide the baffle into alignment with the bolt hole to tighten the baffle into place. Once tighten into place simply unscrewed and removed the threaded rod used for install alignment.
Having the option to easily install and removie the baffles can come in handy come sticker inspection time. There might also be days when you might want to hear all you can from the exhaust so now you can just pop them baffles out. Other times you might want to hear a little different sound from your pipes so install them back in with ease.
The modified baffles are a happy medium sound between baffles in and no baffles at all. Its a nice option to have and any option is a good option! Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Dude that rocks, I finally am moving end of month and will have a garage will be my first mod post new digs..... :D

·
Registered
574 Posts
this baffle mod. Is a quick an easy no cost solution that might come in handy for those of you who are running with the cobra swept pipes with your baffles in and looking for a little added sound for your pipes. It might also be a nice option for those of you who have removed your baffles and might like to have an option of a quick in and out baffle install come sticker time. It might also help those who have removed your baffles and find it to loud yet not loud enough with them in. I started playing around with the stock baffles looking for a new sound while still creating so back pressure and came up with this.

The first photo below shows the stock baffle and the second photo shows the new modified baffle i made up by using the front section of the cobra stock baffle. I cut off and used the first 4 inches of the stock baffles. I then drilled a 3/8" center hole in the end of the baffle for added sound and to help out with install by tapping it out to accommodate a piece of 3/8 threaded rod used to help with baffle alignment for an easy install. Any one who has removed the cobra baffles knows what a pain in the ass it is to get them out and pretty near impossible to get them back in so i sanding the baffle diameter down slightly so they slide in and out very easy and with the help of the threaded rod screwed into the center hole of the baffle i taped out i was able to slide the the baffle into the pipe and line it up to the bolt holes very easily within seconds. I tighten the baffles into place and then unscrewed and removed the threaded rod i used for alignment. The new sound of the pipes are a happy medium between having baffles in and baffles out. Good luck!
thats cool! Very good idea. Tomorrow i was going to try cutting 4 inches from front and make a 1/4 on back plate. But your idea sound much better. Thanks i will post tomorrow how it came out.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Nice mod Dave. I modified my stock baffles but cut the very front off and used the longer part and drilled a 3/4 hole in the center plate. If you could post a video or sound clip, I would love to hear what the sound like.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice mod Dave. I modified my stock baffles but cut the very front off and used the longer part and drilled a 3/4 hole in the center plate. If you could post a video or sound clip, I would love to hear what the sound like.
Sorry Big John but I don't have a video or sound clip of this mod. I can tell you that I have run now for a while with both the baffles in and the baffles and this baffle mod. leaves you with a sound somewhere in between the two. The biggest difference I found was when I was running with the baffles out I had on deceleration a weird noise sounding something like rushing air through the pipe that I didn't like and no longer have with this baffle mod. I also like the idea that I have a desired sound while maintaining engine back pressure and the way these slide in and out with ease makes it very easy for me since I'm still playing around and experimenting with other baffles options.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Thanks for the pics, Dave. I always wondered what the baffles looked like, but didn't want to pull them out to see. :D

Pretty smart thinking on your part coming up with the threaded rod removal and replacement tool.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pics, Dave. I always wondered what the baffles looked like, but didn't want to pull them out to see. :D

Pretty smart thinking on your part coming up with the threaded rod removal and replacement tool.
This might be a good option for you SteveO. I know you were looking for a little more sound out of your pipes but were concerned with back pressure issues.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
This might be a good option for you SteveO. I know you were looking for a little more sound out of your pipes but were concerned with back pressure issues.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I was considering this for a time when someone else on here first said something about cutting the baffles. I forget who it was. Since you've taken it a step further with the ease of reinstallation, I may consider it even more now. However, not much baffle left now and with that 3/8" hole, I wonder if they will provide enough back pressure?

Like I said before though, I'm really happy with the subdued rumble that the pipes provide with the baffles in, so I'm really in no hurry to remove them. As I said earlier, maybe a ways down the road, after the bike is paid off and it has several thousand miles on it.....of course by then the baffles may be rusted and half way gone anyway. :D

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave, did you notice any difference in how the bike ran, with and without?
Richard, I think sometimes one can be fooled by the sound of an exhaust and the actual performance. When an exhaust is loud it will always sounds like its more powerful making you believe you have added performance when in fact its just plain louder. I was experiencing some weird sounds on decel probably due to the fact the pair valve is not blocked off yet and I'm awaiting the block of plates that sre being shipped so between that and the added air through the spike with no baffles I was getting a sound of rushing air through the pipes on deceleration. With the modified baffles back in I have enough back pressure there now to compensate for the difference and a lot better sound but I don't believe there is any more or less in the performance end.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Dave, you've really come up with a very creative solution. Some danged fine tinkering, bro.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave, you've really come up with a very creative solution. Some danged fine tinkering, bro.
Thanks man, that's what happens when it rains all weekend and your just hanging around pulling your pud.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I know what you mean by the rushing air on decel...sounds great on acceleration without baffles...not so much on decel. I just did this to my baffles. Problem is...my bike's in Pennsylvania and I have surgery tomorrow! So who knows when I'll get these in :mad: Will update sometime later this week when I can put these in and ride again

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just installed the modified baffles like the ones posted. It sure feels that it has more torque but is sure much quiter than with baffles out. I will drive for a week and see if the sound grows on me. Its hard to go from killer sound to just loud.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I just installed the modified baffles like the ones posted. It sure feels that it has more torque but is sure much quiter than with baffles out. I will drive for a week and see if the sound grows on me. Its hard to go from killer sound to just loud.
Did it fix the "wind rushing" sound on decel?

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's funny, I thought the same thing about the loud sound from going with the baffles out to a little less but the more I drive it the more I like it. I am much happier with with the sound on deceleration so to me its a nice trade off.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
it sure did and sometimes when my bike backfires it is not as violent as with baffles out.
You plan on getting rid of the pair valve? It's suppose to stop all backfiring...although it didn't work for me. Guess i have a different problem...

·
Registered
574 Posts
you plan on getting rid of the pair valve? It's suppose to stop all backfiring...although it didn't work for me. Guess i have a different problem...
i already did. I plugged mine at air filter and both heads with rubber plugs inside vacuum hoses and reinstalled hoses. So it looks like its all connected but there is not vacuum through them. I also had to replace exhaust gaskets because i didnt replace them when i installed the exhaust. Also pot setting for fc at 121. I dont think you are ever going to get rid of backfire completely.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts