Honda Fury Forums: banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
i already did. I plugged mine at air filter and both heads with rubber plugs inside vacuum hoses and reinstalled hoses. So it looks like its all connected but there is not vacuum through them. I also had to replace exhaust gaskets because i didnt replace them when i installed the exhaust. Also pot setting for fc at 121. I dont think you are ever going to get rid of backfire completely.
Some people have though....that's why I'm so confused with mine!

And i'd be careful with plugging the hoses...I heard they crack over time. Just a heads up

·
Registered
574 Posts
some people have though....that's why i'm so confused with mine!

And i'd be careful with plugging the hoses...i heard they crack over time. Just a heads up
ok i been riding approx a week with modified baffles as posted. I got used to the exhaust sound but one thing i had to do because when i reinstalled the baffles i was getting this coughing sound at idle. I reinstalled the pair valve and noise went away. With modified baffles i get more torque and the air noise when letting off the throttle is gone. Fc at 1-2-2

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
ok i been riding approx a week with modified baffles as posted. I got used to the exhaust sound but one thing i had to do because when i reinstalled the baffles i was getting this coughing sound at idle. I reinstalled the pair valve and noise went away. With modified baffles i get more torque and the air noise when letting off the throttle is gone. Fc at 1-2-2
any backfiring issues since you re-installed the pair valve?

·
Registered
574 Posts
any backfiring issues since you re-installed the pair valve?
same as before ones in a while will back fire when hitting throttle and releasing or when i down shift to engine brake. I dont think it made a difference on my bike as far as the backfiring.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
same as before ones in a while will back fire when hitting throttle and releasing or when i down shift to engine brake. I dont think it made a difference on my bike as far as the backfiring.
Interesting............

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Does that mean it's getting to much fuel when it backfires like that? Could changing one of your pot settings help with that?

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have not expieienced anything like this but it sounds like you may be a good candidate for the pair valve removal using the block off plates. Check out Tony's post on pair valve removal on this and here for information to the very problem you describe http://www.myvtx1300.com/

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Anybody else tried this? With the positive talk about the Big City Thunder baffles, I was thinking of trying this since I have the baffles anyway. Would cutting a larger than 3/8 hole make them louder?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have a set of stock modified baffles that are cut a little different then Dave's. I cut mine behind the second ring and drilled a 3/4" hole in the middle. They sound good and are pretty much mid way between no baffles and full baffles. So if you are looking for good sound with less noise, cut baffles are the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Curiosity got the best of me today. I recently finished up Dave’s baffle mod. The only thing I did differently was I drilled a 1/2” hole in the baffle. After several attempts at installing the baffle, I finally had to put the baffle on the grinder so that it would turn easily inside the pipe. There was no way I was going to be able to get the screw back in correctly. Thanks Dave for the great advice.

Review:
The bike lost a little rumble but not enough that makes me want to take them out. I did notice the bike was a little peppier when I rolled on the throttle. Guess it does need some back pressure. I will stay with this setup until I can hear a set of the Thunder City Baffles in person.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just managed to beat my baffles out of the swepts with excessive force. It's a bit loud for the city here where everything bounces off of buildings. The po-po has been cracking down on straight pipes lately too. Has anyone done this mod and then went to the BCTBs afterwards? Opinions? I'm looking at making my own to test it out with the modified and the BCTB clone. I'll make my own shirt if I like them. ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Been riding with the modified baffles and got quite a bit of riding in this weekend. I do have to say at highways speed it's quite lovely sounding. I'm getting a bit of pop here and there so it's definitely time to look at fuel management. I'm sure it's because I enlarged all the holes in the baffles and it does seem to be running a bit hotter. I'm going to do the intake and then dyno the whole thing.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Update

Curiosity got the best of me today. I recently finished up Dave’s baffle mod. The only thing I did differently was I drilled a 1/2” hole in the baffle. After several attempts at installing the baffle, I finally had to put the baffle on the grinder so that it would turn easily inside the pipe. There was no way I was going to be able to get the screw back in correctly. Thanks Dave for the great advice.

Review:
The bike lost a little rumble but not enough that makes me want to take them out. I did notice the bike was a little peppier when I rolled on the throttle. Guess it does need some back pressure. I will stay with this setup until I can hear a set of the Thunder City Baffles in person.
I have been running with the modified baffle now for a couple of months. When I made this post, I mentioned that the bike seems a little quicker with the modified baffle put back in. Since the talk of popping a wheelie came up a few weeks ago, I have tried (unsuccessfully, but darn close) a couple of times. Today I pulled the baffles back out and went for a ride and tried to pop the front end. Wasn’t even close, I tried 3-4 times and knew there was no way that front tire was coming up. My theory, the bike needs some type of baffle for optimum performance. The bike sounds great without baffles, but looses a little performance without.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Anybody else tried this? With the positive talk about the Big City Thunder baffles, I was thinking of trying this since I have the baffles anyway. Would cutting a larger than 3/8 hole make them louder?
I might be your guy on that front. I really like the idea of the Cobra pipes + Big City baffles. I'm not for sure when I will get to do this but I'll make sure to post something when I do. Then maybe we could meet up somewhere.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Thanks Dave!

..... The modified baffles are a happy medium sound between baffles in and no baffles at all...
Well said, and spot-on, Dave. Thanks for the "Mod"

Started and Finished up my Baffle Mod today... all I did different was re-use the Cobra Bolts that came with the exhaust. Other than that, I followed your instructions/ideas to a "T" and I love it! I must agree with you though... the 'no baffle' sound is louder, but I don't feel it in my seat like I do with your 'Baffle-Mod'. The 'back pressure' is definetly something somebody needs to Test.

Oh, and for those that wonder... with the Baffle-Mod it's still LOUD! Not as loud as without... but it's still LOUD!

Thanks again, Dave... wonderful addition to the betterment of our Fury Nation.

-----------
Ah!!! just read this, Check this out....

I haven't had the time or extra cash for the Big City Thunder baffles but I did Mod the stock cobras. After putting in the mod baffles that are in the FAQ I did not like the sound so went another way. My boss and I tuned the exhaust on a Maserati a few weeks ago and they tuned them by enlarging or making the hole smaller in the end of the exhaust. So I used the tail end of the baffles and drill a hole in them till I liked the sound. That said here is what the dyno came up with both running are on this pic. The numbers from both runs are at the top. As you can see I loss about 1 horse but gained 4 torque at different rpms.
Also this seems very relivant now:
...When we got on the topic of exhaust and baffles he said these motors are not designed to make Horsepower off open exhaust and some back pressure is a good thing. So in the next week or so I'm going to order some baffles.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well said, and spot-on, Dave. Thanks for the "Mod"

Started and Finished up my Baffle Mod today... all I did different was re-use the Cobra Bolts that came with the exhaust. Other than that, I followed your instructions/ideas to a "T" and I love it! I must agree with you though... the 'no baffle' sound is louder, but I don't feel it in my seat like I do with your 'Baffle-Mod'. The 'back pressure' is definetly something somebody needs to Test.

Oh, and for those that wonder... with the Baffle-Mod it's still LOUD! Not as loud as without... but it's still LOUD!

Thanks again, Dave... wonderful addition to the betterment of our Fury Nation.
Check out my Dyno run before and after. I did mod mine a little different to get more sound out of them.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
LMAO

Ah Jbass...

I noticed your "dyno" thing... after I posted my baffle-mod... so I edited my post... and then I saw that you told me to look at your "dyno" post... lmao

Well, that being said...

I think I'm almost caught up now! lol

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
A couple of guys that are somewhat new around here have asked about the removal/modification of the baffles in the Cobra Swept exhaust. So, I thought I would bump this very nice thread on which Dave Maher did such a great job describing how he modified his baffles.

Also, be sure to read Richard's posts. He has pretty much proven that back pressure is needed for optimum performance.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I did Dave's method of shorting the baffle & drilling out the hole size- very happy with the results
Thanks Dave!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts