Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I was looking at wide platform scissor jacks, but notice a platform would appear to cover the oil pan, drain bolts and filter-- at the Fury balance point. How are those of you using jacks, getting around this--for oil changes? Thanks- MR

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hi- I was looking at wide platform scissor jacks, but notice a platform would appear to cover the oil pan, drain bolts and filter-- at the Fury balance point. How are those of you using jacks, getting around this--for oil changes? Thanks- MR
Bought one of these years ago and used one of there 20% coupon.

For oil changes, wheel removal, cleaning.

It's on rollers so you can tuck it out of the way.

Might still be video on YouTube.

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
I built a set of race ramps from scrap 2" x 3", which are also inexpensive at the lumber store (big box stores are more expensive). I pull the middle ramp leaving the wheels and kickstand supported. I trust it more than working on the bike on a jack, though that's because I'm ham-fisted coupled with unlucky.

At some point I'll build a rolling lift table, that's really the way to go. If you already own hydraulics you know seals don't last forever, so the fewer pumps to maintain the better.

·
Super Moderator
6,280 Posts
You can do it with the bike on the floor but it's not the easiest. I have a platform bike lift, so I roll it on, strap it down and raise it to a comfortable working height. My lift has some removable panels for oil changes so it makes the job easy. Just be sure to leave the bike on the side stand while draining the oil. Then make sure it's vertical when refilling it and checking the oil level. I have another small scissor jack that I slip under the bike to level it up while it is on the lift and filling the oil. I know I've said this before but a good lift and a few different jacks make the jobs a lot easier and a lot easier on the old back. That's very important when you are an old fart. We have enough aches and pains as it is without giving ourselves extra. It's worth spending the money to set yourself up with the right tools.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can do it with the bike on the floor but it's not the easiest. I have a platform bike lift, so I roll it on, strap it down and raise it to a comfortable working height. My lift has some removable panels for oil changes so it makes the job easy. Just be sure to leave the bike on the side stand while draining the oil. Then make sure it's vertical when refilling it and checking the oil level. I have another small scissor jack that I slip under the bike to level it up while it is on the lift and filling the oil. I know I've said this before but a good lift and a few different jacks make the jobs a lot easier and a lot easier on the old back. That's very important when you are an old fart. We have enough aches and pains as it is without giving ourselves extra. It's worth spending the money to set yourself up with the right tools.
Bought one of these years ago and used one of there 20% coupon.

For oil changes, wheel removal, cleaning.

It's on rollers so you can tuck it out of the way.

Might still be video on YouTube.
[/URL][/URL]
Thanks for the replies. I’m not much of a mechanic, but wanted to at least do my oil changes, as I hate relying on dealers these days. Amazon has a highly rated Jack, but same question: can you see this (link below) leaving room to get to the filter & bolts- or would I need a lift with rails like the black widow? Thanks again.
LiftMaster Wide Deck Motorcycle Center Scissor Lift Jack Hoist Stand Bikes ATVs https://a.co/d/7YJVxdq
Thanks for the replies. Will this platform allow adequate clearance for oil changes?
Output device Rectangle Font Computer monitor accessory Electric blue

·
Registered
906 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If all you're expecting to do is the occasional oil change, or maybe swap out some pipes, a front wheel chuck will give you the greatest ROI.

Amazon.com: XMT-MOTO Motorcycle Parts Universal Motorcycle Low Profile Oil Drain Pan fits for Honda,Yamaha, Suzuki,Kawasaki ect.models, Black : Automotive

PS. That lift jack is not going to work for oil changes.
If all you're expecting to do is the occasional oil change, or maybe swap out some pipes, a front wheel chuck will give you the greatest ROI.

Amazon.com: XMT-MOTO Motorcycle Parts Universal Motorcycle Low Profile Oil Drain Pan fits for Honda,Yamaha, Suzuki,Kawasaki ect.models, Black : Automotive

Thanks for the advice. I may just go the wheel chock and 2"x4" under the kickstand route.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I'm using the cheap Harbor Freight lift. You can position it for an oil change, just move it forward or back a bit and throw a couple straps over it (jack has tie down points). Never had an issue.

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
Dude...you repeat postings are driving my ADD crazy :weird:. Glad you finally got the advice you were looking for. And I don't use a jack for oil changes.
He's kind of got "clickyTourettes." :ROFLMAO:

Balogna!! :oops:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts