Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
So trying to switch out mirrors. This fucker is stuck!
What's the easiest way to get it out? Can't put old Mirror back cause I strip it!
Center punch the bolt, drill a hole, starting with an 1/8 drill stepping up to about a 9/32. This will allow the threads to collapse enough to loosen it up and remove it. Your easy out should stay up high enough not to force out the threads still inside the mount. Next, go ahead and drill completely through the mount, a 21/64. You will have to flat bottom countersink it on the bottom about 1/4" and use Allen Head cap screws (to clear the levers) to go up from the bottom. Doing this will eliminate the mirror adapters and allow you to use ANY mirror you choose. I did this to mine, not due to stripping it out, but to eliminate those ugly adapters. If you use a 21/64 drill, it will accommodate a 8MM or 5/16 bolt, whichever mirror you choose. Here is how the mirrors look doing it this way. It's a bit tedious but not difficult.
Plant Window Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Bicycle handlebar Green Automotive lighting Bicycle fork Bicycle tire

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Center punch the bolt, drill a hole, starting with an 1/8 drill stepping up to about a 9/32. This will allow the threads to collapse enough to loosen it up and remove it. Your easy out should stay up high enough not to force out the threads still inside the mount. Next, go ahead and drill completely through the mount, a 21/64. You will have to flat bottom countersink it on the bottom about 1/4" and use Allen Head cap screws (to clear the levers) to go up from the bottom. Doing this will eliminate the mirror adapters and allow you to use ANY mirror you choose. I did this to mine, not due to stripping it out, but to eliminate those ugly adapters. If you use a 21/64 drill, it will accommodate a 8MM or 5/16 bolt, whichever mirror you choose. Here is how the mirrors look doing it this way. It's a bit tedious but not difficult. View attachment 243156 View attachment 243157
Yea yours looks great!
Hoping that I don't have to drill it out....uggghhhh.
I'm hoping I can perhaps use a very small pipe wrench on it. Away for the weekend so gonna try on Tuesday. Hopefully I get lucky

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might try some marvel mystery oil. Let it soak in overnight.
Excellent idea!
That would probably help.
See the truth of the matter is its not an old bolt, its a new one. I messed up, I tightened it at first by attaching it to the mirror then turning mirror tight. Thinking I could adjust with Allen wrench. Before I did this I felt underneath, felt the hole thought I would be able to get the Allen key in...but no.total bonehead move!

·
Super Moderator
6,131 Posts
Center punch the bolt, drill a hole, starting with an 1/8 drill stepping up to about a 9/32. This will allow the threads to collapse enough to loosen it up and remove it. Your easy out should stay up high enough not to force out the threads still inside the mount. Next, go ahead and drill completely through the mount, a 21/64. You will have to flat bottom countersink it on the bottom about 1/4" and use Allen Head cap screws (to clear the levers) to go up from the bottom. Doing this will eliminate the mirror adapters and allow you to use ANY mirror you choose. I did this to mine, not due to stripping it out, but to eliminate those ugly adapters. If you use a 21/64 drill, it will accommodate a 8MM or 5/16 bolt, whichever mirror you choose. Here is how the mirrors look doing it this way. It's a bit tedious but not difficult. View attachment 243156 View attachment 243157
This is an even better idea than it sounds because if you drill all the way through you can use HD style mirrors and that opens a whole new world full of choices. I found a pair of turn signal mirrors for a reasonable price that I liked but they only fit a Harley. With this mod I could put them on, otherwise I am looking at the excellent but very expensive Rivco turn signal mirrors.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
This is an even better than it sounds because if you drill all the way through you can use HD style mirrors and that opens a whole new world full of choices. I found a pair of turn signal mirrors for a reasonable price that I liked but they only fit a Harley. With this mod I could put them on, otherwise I am looking at the excellent but very expensive Rivco turn signal mirrors.
That's exactly why I did that. Those are HD style mirrors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you thread 2 nuts onto it & then back the bottom one out. You may well need to grind the nuts a bit thinner & still let some break-free soak down into it over night View attachment 243223
That's actually not a bad idea but don't have the room.
I did however get it of with a small pipe wrench!!!
Got lucky on that, was just able to get a bite on it
Whew!

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's actually not a bad idea but don't have the room.
I did however get it of with a small pipe wrench!!!
Got lucky on that, was just able to get a bite on it
Whew!
That’s good news you got it out. Ive found if it’s too tight room wise to get a spanner onto the bottom nut … often you can still fit 2 nuts on & then line them up with each other & get a socket down over both (a low torque battery rattle gun is best but a 1/4” drive hand socket can work) .. back them both out at the same time as often the nuts will still bind to each other & effectively give you one giant nut that’s locked onto the thread for removal

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took your advice,
Drilled it out today!

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is an even better idea than it sounds because if you drill all the way through you can use HD style mirrors and that opens a whole new world full of choices. I found a pair of turn signal mirrors for a reasonable price that I liked but they only fit a Harley. With this mod I could put them on, otherwise I am looking at the excellent but very expensive Rivco turn signal mirrors.
Do you have a link to the turn signal mirrors? That sounds right up my alley.

·
Super Moderator
6,131 Posts
Do you have a link to the turn signal mirrors? That sounds right up my alley.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts