Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mustang rear seat #79629.

I took off from a stoplight and the back seat broke off and my passenger hit the ground in the intersection and almost got run over. Scraped up but no serious injuries. This could have been much worse. I notified Mustang Seats of this situation.
If you have this seat please check it.
Back seat…..the front brackets slide forward on the spools that bolt down the front seat and the back bracket attaches to the fender with one bolt. The problem is the the front brackets aren't bolted down, they just slide forward and the back bracket is riveted onto the fiberglass with two rivets. If the seat is loose at all it means that one rivet is broken and the other one breaking will result on the seat falling off.
ONE WAY TO FIX IT….you can have two washers welded onto the front brackets so they will bolt down with the front seat and cant slide backwards. First remove rivets from seat cover, all the way around to remove it and the foam then have washers welded on brackets. Remove rear bracket, drill holes larger and put two bolts through bracket and fiberglass then through the steel plate above fiberglass. Attach with washers, lock washers and loktite. Replace foam and cover then rivet the cover back on.
Attach the seat and bolt it down with the front seat but put washers between the brackets. The back bracket will be raised so use one of the spools you removed from the front bracket and put it under the rear bracket. You will need a longer bolt to attach the rear bracket.
The bolts will not be easy to get in because of the seat being in the way.
Now the seat will be bolted down in the front and the back bracket will be bolted on. It wont be able to break off or slide backwards.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Mustang rear seat #79629.

I took off from a stoplight and the back seat broke off and my passenger hit the ground in the intersection and almost got run over. Scraped up but no serious injuries. This could have been much worse. I notified Mustang Seats of this situation.
If you have this seat please check it.
Back seat…..the front brackets slide forward on the spools that bolt down the front seat and the back bracket attaches to the fender with one bolt. The problem is the the front brackets aren't bolted down, they just slide forward and the back bracket is riveted onto the fiberglass with two rivets. If the seat is loose at all it means that one rivet is broken and the other one breaking will result on the seat falling off.
ONE WAY TO FIX IT….you can have two washers welded onto the front brackets so they will bolt down with the front seat and cant slide backwards. First remove rivets from seat cover, all the way around to remove it and the foam then have washers welded on brackets. Remove rear bracket, drill holes larger and put two bolts through bracket and fiberglass then through the steel plate above fiberglass. Attach with washers, lock washers and loktite. Replace foam and cover then rivet the cover back on.
Attach the seat and bolt it down with the front seat but put washers between the brackets. The back bracket will be raised so use one of the spools you removed from the front bracket and put it under the rear bracket. You will need a longer bolt to attach the rear bracket.
The bolts will not be easy to get in because of the seat being in the way.
Now the seat will be bolted down in the front and the back bracket will be bolted on. It wont be able to break off or slide backwards.
Glad no one had serious injury. Good luck with your future rides, and stay safe! (y)

·
Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
623 Posts
Dam, glad there were no serious injuries. Let us know what Mustang seats says.
Oh, by the way Welcome from Daytona 😎

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dam, glad there were no serious injuries. Let us know what Mustang seats says.
Oh, by the way Welcome from Daytona 😎
Mustang Seats said they referred it to their safety department and sent me a new one piece seat. They would not let me talk to a supervisor, only the sales representative.
It took many calls and emails over 6 weeks to get any help at all. I expected better service than that from them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts