Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It became glaringly clear last weekend on my ride home that I needed a better headlight. Mother Nature's little ninja assassins, deer, possums, coons, and armadillos, were out to get me on that ride back. So, I looked online, and decided on the 5.75" Eagle 8900 series gen 3. Next was researching how to mount it. I found the threads, and I wasn't too crazy about the thought of epoxying and JB Welding the light into place. So I came up with my own way. In hindsight, I'm not doing this again! It was freaking tedious!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I set out looking for materials. My plan was to build an adapter. The best I could find was a 4" ABS pipe coupling.

Problem is, it's too small. So after 3 hours of carefully heating it with a heat gun and stretching it in 3 stages to 3 different objects, I finally got the sizing close. After sanding the inside a cutting the notch, the coupling would fit tightly around the headlight.

Next was alot of measuring and drawing cut lines.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I got the lines drawn, and carefully cut it down with a dremel. This was an all day process. But after cutting the pivot tabs like found on the stock headlight, heating and bending a tab over for the position adjustment, and shaving the outside diameter down, I was ready to begin attaching the mounting bracket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did have to tweak the upper portion of the bracket. Once I was satisfied with the fitment, I superglued the adapter to the 3 fold down tabs for the trim ring, then bolted the bracket to the adapter. I wasn't able to get the bracket nut in on the top, so I threaded the adapter tab, and found an M5 bolt that would run down and touch the housing. The tab I folded over for the left/right adjustment was too short, but the bracket for it rests squarely on a flat portion on the back of the headlight. So I got it all assembled, and finally installed. Now I'm waiting for night time so I can check the aim. It's been a 3 day ordeal, but I am happy with the way it turned out. If it doesn't work, I'm changing the damn bucket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to mention that I had checked out www.vtxdaymaker.com to see if they had an adapter. They replied with not yet, but they are in the process of fabricating one, I should check back in a month. Just a heads up for those looking to do the conversion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Checked the aim, it was good. Took it down the road and hit most of the potholes reasonably, headlight is still solid in the adapter. I'll call this a successful install.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Forgot to mention that I had checked out www.vtxdaymaker.com to see if they had an adapter. They replied with not yet, but they are in the process of fabricating one, I should check back in a month. Just a heads up for those looking to do the conversion.
Ha pretty sure they said the same thing 3 years ago when I inquired... Wouldn't hold my breath

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
1 - 9 of 9 Posts