Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I got my Infernos in yesterday and first let me say my first impression out of the box was these were very poorly made. The edges of both the head flanges and exhaust tips were so uneven and boogered up I literally had to spend an hour this morning filing them down to have a flat smooth edge to bolt up. During this I noticed the chrome plating was less than paper thin as pieces flaked off. Awesome.

Installation was a piece of cake and common sense. After snugging everything up evenly what do you know, an exhaust leak on the rear cylinder. This was the one that was the worst out of the two initially. The front sealed up satisfactory. So I pulled them back off and tried reseating the rear and after snugging them up again... same thing if not worse. This next time I pulled them off entirely and noticed half of the flange edge on the rear pipe was blue/yellow where the leak was so I tried again to get a smooth flat and square edge on the rear pipe. Bolted them up again making sure it was tight in fact the acorn nuts were bottomed out and I could still wiggle the rear pipe a little. I couldn't budge the front pipe not even slightly so I knew the rear would leak again and sure enough it does.

Now before you say I should have installed new crush washers, first of all if it was absolutely neccessary it should have came included with this $600 price tag. I noticed the front flange made a new impression in the soft metal gasket which is what the rear should have done but it's being stubborn. So now my only hope I guess is to install new gaskets that looks like a job in itself to get the old ones out. Basically 8 hours worth of my day gone worthless and I can't take the bike out for a Saturday night ride. Awesome.

· Premium Member
4,474 Posts
Ok so I got my Infernos in yesterday and first let me say my first impression out of the box was these were very poorly made. The edges of both the head flanges and exhaust tips were so uneven and boogered up I literally had to spend an hour this morning filing them down to have a flat smooth edge to bolt up. During this I noticed the chrome plating was less than paper thin as pieces flaked off. Awesome.

Installation was a piece of cake and common sense. After snugging everything up evenly what do you know, an exhaust leak on the rear cylinder. This was the one that was the worst out of the two initially. The front sealed up satisfactory. So I pulled them back off and tried reseating the rear and after snugging them up again... same thing if not worse. This next time I pulled them off entirely and noticed half of the flange edge on the rear pipe was blue/yellow where the leak was so I tried again to get a smooth flat and square edge on the rear pipe. Bolted them up again making sure it was tight in fact the acorn nuts were bottomed out and I could still wiggle the rear pipe a little. I couldn't budge the front pipe not even slightly so I knew the rear would leak again and sure enough it does.

Now before you say I should have installed new crush washers, first of all if it was absolutely neccessary it should have came included with this $600 price tag. I noticed the front flange made a new impression in the soft metal gasket which is what the rear should have done but it's being stubborn. So now my only hope I guess is to install new gaskets that looks like a job in itself to get the old ones out. Basically 8 hours worth of my day gone worthless and I can't take the bike out for a Saturday night ride. Awesome.
Sounds like that flange isn't seating properly and you might even have to double up on the gaskets to get a proper seal. Good Luck!

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Wow SD. Sorry to hear that--especially when you shell out that much cash and expect those things to be right. New exhaust gaskets are a must and EVERY new exhaust system should include them. PERIOD.

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Wow SD that is alot of problems. I also run the Inferno's and have not had any problems other than my ceramic finish. The guy's at Morton's where good and credited my card with a quick call and email showing the problem. Good luck and hope you are able to get them on... They are loud and if that was what you are looking for I hope you get it all straightened out. Just to give you an idea of what I have based the loudness against, it is from the GF when Tony Fury, Redspawnsilver, and I all took off... She said it gave her chills with the rumble of the bikes and that the Inferno's out sounded the others (sorry T and RSS but both of you have been behind me :cool:)

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a real PITA.
Indeed

Wow SD. Sorry to hear that--especially when you shell out that much cash and expect those things to be right. New exhaust gaskets are a must and EVERY new exhaust system should include them. PERIOD.
Yea but how do you get the old ones out without gouging up the inner flange on the exhaust port?

I would be on the phone to Morton first thing Monday morning and let them know exactly how you feel. :mad:
I've already sent an email but a phone call is on the agenda too.

Wow SD that is alot of problems. I also run the Inferno's and have not had any problems other than my ceramic finish. The guy's at Morton's where good and credited my card with a quick call and email showing the problem. Good luck and hope you are able to get them on... They are loud and if that was what you are looking for I hope you get it all straightened out. Just to give you an idea of what I have based the loudness against, it is from the GF when Tony Fury, Redspawnsilver, and I all took off... She said it gave her chills with the rumble of the bikes and that the Inferno's out sounded the others (sorry T and RSS but both of you have been behind me :cool:)
Were your flange edges nice and flat with no boogers?

Yes I agree they are loud and what I was looking for although not sure if the computer needs to learn these pipes or not but I'm getting some backfires when I rev it up some from listening to the leak. I wouldn't run it long because I had to put my hands back on them to fight with it afterwards. So it was run it, wait 30 mins to cool down, take them off, put them back on, run it, wait 30 mins... etc. etc. I have no fuel controller by the way but have been running stock mufflers with the resonator drilled out to 1/2" instead of those two tiny holes for about 4 months now with no problems or popping or anything.

· Registered
1,010 Posts
[/QUOTE]Were your flange edges nice and flat with no boogers?

Yes I agree they are loud and what I was looking for although not sure if the computer needs to learn these pipes or not but I'm getting some backfires when I rev it up some from listening to the leak. I wouldn't run it long because I had to put my hands back on them to fight with it afterwards. So it was run it, wait 30 mins to cool down, take them off, put them back on, run it, wait 30 mins... etc. etc. I have no fuel controller by the way but have been running stock mufflers with the resonator drilled out to 1/2" instead of those two tiny holes for about 4 months now with no problems or popping or anything.[/QUOTE]

SD, no I did not have a flange problem when my pipes arrived but I did change out my gaskets when I put the pipes on. I do have some popping but I have heard most others have had a little popping after they have changed their pipes. Also have read somewhere that if you have not chnaged out your intake you do not have to have a EFI controller but when you increase the air intake you have to have the fuel increase so you do not burn your intake. Hope you get it all figured out and you get to really enjoy those pipes. :cool:

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Indeed

Yea but how do you get the old ones out without gouging up the inner flange on the exhaust port?

I had no problem getting the old gaskets out with a very small flat screwdriver and worked from the inside of the old gaskets in a circular motion. Came right out .... But maybe I was lucky. The manual says to replace gaskets each time...still could be a booger if you gouge up the port!:(

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get backfires when I blip the throttle and popping on deceleration. Oh and a nice blow dryer underneath my crotch from the exhaust leak.

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
SD, those inferno's look awsome! I hope you get that exhaust leak fixed soon or you may have yourself some 'well done balls'!

· Premium Member
13,959 Posts
you can get a flat copper o ring.and put it on first then put the gasket on.that will normaly make them seal.it adds about 150 thousands thickness to the gasket.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had the same problem with my front pipe had to double gasket it to get the leak to stop, but once i did the popping went away. Did u get the power cones with ur pipes?
I did not get the power cones originally but now after talking to Doug he's sending me some sort of mesh gaskets they use on Harleys and the power cones. Anyone else have them and can tell the difference?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.