Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it worked. I notched out 1/4” out of the frame. Pushed it down. Wielded it. The end result is dropping the rear by 2”….This would be the max that it can be dropped. The front of the seat barley clips in And at the front of the fender I could no longer use those plastic push ins.But it is very solid. I would not want any less tire clearance ether. Even at this height I may rub the tire on big bumps. But it looks freken awesome.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Tony, Looks fantastic, can you post more pic's stationary and with rider. Did you doc the exact steps, what is the clearance, have you road 2up over bumps?:)

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm impressed bro. Good job. Give us some feedback on how it rides... Does it bottom out and when? With or without passenger? Kudos for havin the balls to try it!

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Looks good...now we need how to pics. I'll stiffen shock to limit bottoming out.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Tony;

Well done, lad! Did you TIG it or MIG it or what? Did you add any bracing or gussets? Please tell all.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made the pics bigger so you can see better……
I used a mig……
I had my wife on with me as we bounced. The shock is dialled in at 1/2 way and it did not bottom out. But it was close.
I have not test road it yet but will be soon.
I will get a pick with me on it to see how low it looks.
I am very happy how well it turned out.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Nice job Tony. I was thinking about doing the same thing but dont have access to a welder. As soon as I find one or some one to d it for me I'll be cut'n mine.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Looks great tony, the fender looks like it fits the bike now but just sits a little high, before it looked pitched up a little towards the back. I like it alot, we need a later review of a post accomplished feeling and more of a self critique maby some of us will start hacking away bits and pieces of our bikes to make them look better

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tony, that looks perfect !!! Just the way Honda should have done it in the first place. Very good engineering considering how fine a cut it was to make such a difference. I'm thinking you did a lot of very careful measuring before you made that cut :eek:.

I expect you have just initiated a tsunami of fender 'adjustments' :D.
Yes. I made two templates out of cardboard. I also had the backup plan of the somo-x kit if I failed. It is defiantly the way the bike should have come from the factory. After I did the side mount I hade to do something. It looked out of place to me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This looks absolutely sweet! I think that if I can find a good body guy I might have this done (I can't weld).

Question: Does the fender "flair out" or bubble on the sides? I know that a quarter inch isn't much but with the seat almost not fitting and the plastic clips now useless, there would seem to be a little pressure from the changed geometry. It has to go somewhere. Just asking, I couldn't see from the pics.

Oh, and if I haven't said it before, this looks absolutely sweet.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This looks absolutely sweet! I think that if I can find a good body guy I might have this done (I can't weld).

Question: Does the fender "flair out" or bubble on the sides? I know that a quarter inch isn't much but with the seat almost not fitting and the plastic clips now useless, there would seem to be a little pressure from the changed geometry. It has to go somewhere. Just asking, I couldn't see from the pics.

Oh, and if I haven't said it before, this looks absolutely sweet.
To answer Gar it lowered it 2 1/8” at the tail light.

The missing 1/4” is why the front push in clips don't work. The front of the fender is now about 1/4” away from touching. There is no bowing in the fender and it is still bolted down by the three seat bolts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That looks great Tony! Did you just cut it with a sawzall?

Very simple mod to do from the looks of it. I think next time I am up in Edmonton visiting the folks I will have to borrow the old mans welder and do what you did for sure!:)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I can hardly believe how damn good that looks! WTG TONY. And yeah Gar's observation was spot on - suspension lowering is better than no lowering but better to cut it in the middle and squoosh the ass end only of the fender down to FINALLY make it look like the fender actually belongs on the bike.

Great Googalimoogalah that looks GOOD!!! :D

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Tony, nice job on this project and I agree with Gar this is the way it should have looked from Honda from the get go. I give you a lot of credit for having vision and the balls to attempt this project. I have always looked at the ass end of the fury and thought the same thing that the rear wheel was disportionate to the rear fender and thought if you could somehow cut away a few inches from the frame work everything would seem to fall into place nicely and you have proven it. I would be more inclined to do this than the lowering kit. Its a much better look without only cosmetic changes. Keep us posted to the road testing. Thanks for sharing!

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Tony, you have done a great job and it is always good to see someone blazing their own trail. Gar and Stonewheel already brought this up, but the fender and wheel radius was the first thing that jumped out at me. IMHO, this looks great.:)

P.S., I think he got the bouncing the wife on the back from me! But, I’ll bounce just about anywhere.:eek:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Tony,
Great job! could you please give exact measurements (exactly where on the frame did you cut, stuff like that) I sooooooo want to have this done now. When you say the front of the seat barely clips in are you talkin about the driver seat of the passenger seat? Again you say that the plastic fender does not bow or anything like that? Man this is so awesome.
Thanks
GP

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Great work Tony!

Good to see welders out here!

Its amazing what a angle grinder and Welder can do.

Honda should have offered a SLAMMED VERSION FOR $$$$$

240mm tire different shock and slammmed!:cool:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts