Honda Fury Forums: banner

My "proposed" trip this week

7K views 62 replies 14 participants last post by  2011MatteOrange 
#1 ·
I am trying to get my trip planned for this week and this is what I've come up with thus far...I am still trying to get some stuff handled so I can have everything clear for the week. If I can't get this stuff rescheduled then I won't be able to go. That is my only obstacle right now.

This route below is also subject to change due to weather and any other problems that may arise but I am going to try to stick to this route as closely as possible.

Google says it is 1250 miles and 22 hours so it should be a heck of a ride stretched out over 5 days.

I have full access to the Forum and my emails from my smart phone so I'll try and keep this thread updated throughout my trip with pic's and posts as to my whereabouts. I'm not gonna get into any hurry as I don't have to be back to work until Tuesday of next week but my current goal is to be back Saturday or Sunday to recoup for work lol.

Nice long relaxing ride with a visit to friends in Scaly Mountain, N.C

I'll probably spend the night in Franklin N.C. or somewhere near there to visit my friends. I do not plan to ride at night so I'll be getting a hotel/motel at night as I travel.

Wish me luck. I'll let you all know when I'm pulling out... Still figuring out storage on the bike right now so I can carry a couple days worth of cloths.
Might just end up hitting a Wal-Mart when I need something so I don't have to carry much with me.

S 11th St to US-27 S - Google Maps

See less See more
#48 ·
It's ok and thank you...

Funny thing about that waterfall... I took that pic in the morning, and then the rain came in and later that afternoon when we passed it, it was 10x the flow coming over... It was really cool. There are tons of water falls up here.

#50 ·

On the pictures that appear to have fog in them, They are actually really high elevation pictures and that is the clouds. My buddy who lives up here said that anything over 4000 feet and your subject to being in the clouds. I dunno, looked like fog to me lol.

#51 · (Edited)

My Buddy James.

These pine trees you are looking at are several hundred feet tall. This lookout area is located at the top of these trees which grow out of the mountain side way way down below... Looking over the edge it's VERY far down.

#53 · (Edited)

There might be some duplicates....I couldn't keep track of what I've uploaded. Between the two of us we took over a hundred pics but some didn't turn out because the camera lens kept fogging up... It was warm in his bag above the pipe and it was pretty cool outside so they kept fogging up when we took the cameras out .

When we got here it was in the mid to upper 70's with virtually no humidity and then the rain and wind came and it brought some cool temps. Monday it was 56, Tuesday was 53 when we got up and very breezy. It never warmed up much yesterday with off and on rain showers. Of course being from Florida I didn't think to pack any cold weather cloths so I had to hit a Wal-Mart and buy some long johns to make it through the cool weather. I have been freezing.

One thing I've noticed is that the roads up here are much slipperier when wet then in Florida... I've done quite a bit of slipping and sliding here more then I've ever experienced at home. The twisting mountain roads are very slick when they get a light mist of rain on them and really slippery when it's pouring. It appears there is some weird looking slime growing on the roads in the areas of the mountains with thick overgrowth that gets really slick when it gets wet.

I'm pretty worn out and my ass is sore so I'm getting off here... We're leaving out in the morning and heading home to have a few days to recover before going back to work.

#55 · (Edited)
Thanks... you talking about the waterfall?

I have seen some of the most beautiful landscape I've seen in my life. I have been up here before but in a cage you only notice half the landscape. This has been an experience I'll remember for a long time and I am very glad I did it.

If I had to change one thing and do it all over again....We would of bought the Motorcycle trailer we had talked about buying and towed it behind James bike so we could have brought more cloths. My riding boots were soaked the second day and have remained soaked ever since.... My feet look like prunes.
Lack of storage prevents me from being able to carry a second pair and a bunch of other needed stuff. We just buy what we need and toss the other as we can't bring it along.

I'll be back to begin looking for some property to purchase.. I want to buy some land on the side of Scaly Mountain and leave a travel trailer on it for trips like this. I spoke with a realtor briefly and he said there is land all over the place for 5 and $6,000 an acre so I want to own a piece of this!

James and I are planning to do this again shortly, before it gets cold up here. We've both had a great time despite the rainy weather.

#59 ·
Glad to here you are safe at home!
nothing like your own bed!
good idea about the sweater and boots I'lll have to remember that:D

one question though and confusing as hell.......:confused::confused::confused:
you said ..Quote "I had no problem going up but coming down was a different story..." Unquote.

buy the looks of it you are a man of my age .....did it not remind you of earlier times? did you forget? coming down is always harder than going up!

EG. hangovers SUCK!

Glad you made the best of it/weather

one trip you'll never forget ...even though you wish you could:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.