Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually found this forum while doing weeks worth of research searching for an inexpensive solution to a problem many of us have. New bars = speedometer modification.

I seriously considered grabbing a motoscope mini, or buying bars that came with the bracket. But I felt like I could do something that still looked decent but would cost a fraction of those two options. So was birthed this bracket.

I got some sheet metal from Lowe's and used an angle grinder to cut this out and shape it a bit, after way too much math and measuring. Its by no means a perfect creation but I figured I'd share in case anyone else was also looking for options for speedo relocation/modification.

It holds the top cover of the speedo and bolts under the risers. Only real downside is that the bottom cover of the speedo won't work with it.

I'll likely make a cleaner version in the future so if anyone has tips or guidance on how to measure the mounting holes I'm all ears.

Some pics:

Plant Cloud Sky Wood Window

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire

·
Registered
2010 Sabre of Fury
625 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Daytona 😎
That looks pretty good to me. Could you slot the lower part of the speedo?
Hey I got those same Mini boards aren't they great?

·
Registered
837 Posts
What gauge steel/aluminum? You could probably use some hand bending tools (and a small anvil) to shape your next bracket up and closer, or even over, your bars. Do your mock up in thick cardboard as a template. As for measuring, get the your bracket cut and shaped the way you want it, then with the speedo in place, mark the holes and drill. I'm the kind of guy who just drills the holes wider if it doesn't quite fit....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum from Daytona 😎
That looks pretty good to me. Could you slot the lower part of the speedo?
Hey I got those same Mini boards aren't they great?
I appreciate it. I can't get the lower part on yet. But I'm gonna take @Kiwi's advice and try to work through some better options for a better version in the future and hopefully will be able to get that lower cover on too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What gauge steel/aluminum? You could probably use some hand bending tools (and a small anvil) to shape your next bracket up and closer, or even over, your bars. Do your mock up in thick cardboard as a template. As for measuring, get the your bracket cut and shaped the way you want it, then with the speedo in place, mark the holes and drill. I'm the kind of guy who just drills the holes wider if it doesn't quite fit....
16GA Steel. And thanks for all the tips man. I'll definitely use them next time. I wish I'd thought to use a cardboard template. Would have saved me some time for sure.

And I definitely follow your rule of "drilling the holes wider" lol.

·
Registered
837 Posts
16GA Steel. And thanks for all the tips man. I'll definitely use them next time. I wish I'd thought to use a cardboard template. Would have saved me some time for sure.

And I definitely follow your rule of "drilling the holes wider" lol.
Oof 16 gauge will be interesting to bend. You'll either need to take it to a shop, get your own metal brake, or slice and weld the bends. But you can definitely come up with some good bracket ideas for the next attempt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oof 16 gauge will be interesting to bend. You'll either need to take it to a shop, get your own metal brake, or slice and weld the bends. But you can definitely come up with some good bracket ideas for the next attempt.
Yeah. I thought about just putting a 15 degree bend in it to angle the speedo's face towards me a bit more. But as I was making it I started to realize that I'd want to make a new one anyways. Thanks for the guidance!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It does vibrate a bit unfortunately. But I think I can brace it to the headlight with some rubber for now to help reduce that. This ended up being more of a proof of concept I guess. Now that I kind of know what to look for I think I can make a better one.
This is one style I make. It's an aftermarket GPS unit. My brackets for the factory speedo is similar, just uses the factory unit and the bottom piece fits on. Your work is good and it always takes a couple of attempts before any of us get it right.
Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is one style I make. It's an aftermarket GPS unit. My brackets for the factory speedo is similar, just uses the factory unit and the bottom piece fits on. Your work is good and it always takes a couple of attempts before any of us get it right.
That looks really clean man. And thanks.

I seriously considered trying to work something up for a side mount. But I wanted something kinda quick so went with this idea at least for now.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
That looks really clean man. And thanks.

I seriously considered trying to work something up for a side mount. But I wanted something kinda quick so went with this idea at least for now.
The main reason I did the side mount is, I made my handlebar and internally ran all the control wires. I just wanted a super clean top end. It's a very custom look.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts