Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been waiting for my MFR pipes. In the mean time I ordered new crush gaskets for the pipes and a Cobra fuel controller. This morning I went to install the fuel controller. I took off the factory air cleaner cover and removed the air filter. Started unscrewing the 4 phillips head screws to temove the housing and OF COURSE one of the screws instantly and completely rounded off. Wtf!!!! I tried a prograbbit damaged screw extractor and it just rounded it out even more perfectly. What next! I cant even get the damn ait cleaner off this bike

·
Registered
140 Posts
Try a die grinder carefully cut a slot in the head and try a standard scewdriver . Have had luck on other things this way

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Try a die grinder carefully cut a slot in the head and try a standard scewdriver . Have had luck on other things this way
Agree. I had a similar problem and just cut a slot big enough for a straight screwdriver to back it out. It worked.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Agree with the dremel idea and cutting a slot . Here is what I do when I have a screw that is a little tight and it seems it might strip . While holding the perfect fitting Philips head screw driver apply pressure while turning and have someone tap the end with a hammer and this usually frees lose whatever screw is giving me the troubles.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That sucks... it's going to be tough to even get a dremmel in there to grind a slot. ... ...worth a shot. let us know!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't even have the chance to try that. It instantly rounded completely. I will have to try more tomorrow...where my bike is stored is 30 miles each way from my house and I made two trips today. I came back home and dug out my Dremil, haven't used it for a couple years and the chuck is all rusted with a bit in it so I'm just going to buy a new Dremil tomorrow. I hope that does the trick. How ridiculous that one little phillips screw that does nothing but hold on a plastic piece can stop such a simple project dead. But I should be used to it by now, this is the type of shit that always happens to me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Agree with the dremel idea and cutting a slot . Here is what I do when I have a screw that is a little tight and it seems it might strip . While holding the perfect fitting Philips head screw driver apply pressure while turning and have someone tap the end with a hammer and this usually frees lose whatever screw is giving me the troubles.
This is similar to a tool called an impact screwdriver. Has various bits (slotted, Philips, etc.). As you hit it with a hammer, it also turns the bit slightly, so works similar to above without the buddy and less stress on your hands / wrists. Don't remember where I got it though. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
This is similar to a tool called an impact screwdriver. Has various bits (slotted, Philips, etc.). As you hit it with a hammer, it also turns the bit slightly, so works similar to above without the buddy and less stress on your hands / wrists. Don't remember where I got it though. Works like a charm.
Haha you know how many times I have to call my girlfriend into the garage ?!! I have to get me one of these ....

·
Premium Member
13,703 Posts
you can get that slap hammer at harbor freight.12.00 i think.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Wow, way to bring back memories. I remember using my Dads to get the starter off my 74’ Mercury Capri. Good luck Ex, you have the same luck as me. The easiest task’s turn into multiple day projects. Guess that is why I say screw it so many times and take the bike to the shop and then complain about the labor rate. At least I’m out on the road riding as I complain and not in the garage.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I'm sure snap on makes one. At my old job they had a brand new proto impact drive in the tool box and nobody knew what it was. I showed them how to use it one day and you would have thought I just turned water into wine from their reaction. For sure a must have tool.

If you can find a impact driver, I would use it after you cut the slot in the screw.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Billy is right...works really good for stubborn screws.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you don't have those fancy tools you could get the end of the screwdriver wet and dip it in Ajax, works well on helicopters when younger soldiers "German torque" them and those are standard, everyday use screws. Just gotta do it before it's too rounded.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
!Q

So I have been waiting for my MFR pipes. In the mean time I ordered new crush gaskets for the pipes and a Cobra fuel controller. This morning I went to install the fuel controller. I took off the factory air cleaner cover and removed the air filter. Started unscrewing the 4 phillips head screws to temove the housing and OF COURSE one of the screws instantly and completely rounded off. Wtf!!!! I tried a prograbbit damaged screw extractor and it just rounded it out even more perfectly. What next! I cant even get the damn ait cleaner off this bike
Well, If it were me I would become a GB packers fan!!:p They never have problems!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I actually had an impact wrench in my hand at Home Depot but decided it would probably do more harm than good considering you have to hit it with a hammer and the plastic air filter shroud etc....probably not good. The ajax thing...too late...the ez-out or bolt extractor or whatever did a really nice job of removing any trace of the original phillips pattern. I think I'll just put it back together and when my pipes are done I'll take it to the local bike shop have them do the pipes/controller/f-d up bolt and end up spending money I don't want to spend on that kinda crap. *sigh*

1 - 20 of 28 Posts