Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sincere apologies everyone. I do not own a fury. And if this doesnt get straightened out I wont own an Interstate either. If I can just get some help I promise I wont bug you with off motorcycle topics ever again. I'm desperate though and hoping someone here can help me get a bike home.
The local dealer has two NIB 2011 VT1300 Interstates at his shop. One in the show room and one in a crate. I'm trying to take one home. The show room bike has never had oil or fuel added till yesterday. The dealer cant get the bike to start. It turns over and then eventuall slows down. Sounds like a weak battery. They got a new battery off the shelf fo a big quad and even that wont start it. hooking the batteries up to a batterychargery and hitting test shows a fully charged and functional battery. All in all they tried 4 batteries that all tested good. So they uncrated the other new bike. The bike was still in the shipping crate. Put in the fuel and oil and it wont start. Honda rep is stumpped along with the owner and a veteran mechanic. Can anyone offer up any advice. I woud really like to go for a ride this weekend on my new bike.
Once again sorry to invade the forum with non fury related posts. I cant get the interstate form to validate my email so I cant post.
Jim

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Are you sure the batteries they tried met or exceeded the cranking amps of the OEM battery? The fact that a battery was taken from a "big" quad doesn't matter at all. Fully charged battery doesn't mean anything either. Load testing the battery is what matters. They're "new" 2011's. That means the batteries are 8 years old. A "new" 8 year old battery sitting in a crate is going to be a worthless battery.

Have the guy who calls himself a "tech" look in the repair manual, track the battery information down, and match or exceed the specs of the battery with another one. Heck, you could look that info up yourself as well and be armed with valuable information. Either that, or I would use the fact that it is a "no start" to really drop the price down and get a helluva deal out of it. Fuel, spark or ignition. It's got to be one of those, can't be too hard to fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He load tested the batteries and I watched him do it. They verified the cranking amps of the larger battery. They didn't even try the battery that was installed in either bike. The owner is pretty embarrased and he said so himself. Ihad alreday decided to get him down on the price a bit. Even though my loan is approved through honda already no papers have been signed yet. I cant walk after they have the loan approved. it puts a ding on the credit I believe. The guy has been around for 40 years so he will most likely make it right for me.I'll look up the info on the battery and go in armed with that info today after work.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
He load tested the batteries and I watched him do it. They verified the cranking amps of the larger battery. They didn't even try the battery that was installed in either bike. The owner is pretty embarrased and he said so himself. Ihad alreday decided to get him down on the price a bit. Even though my loan is approved through honda already no papers have been signed yet. I cant walk after they have the loan approved. it puts a ding on the credit I believe. The guy has been around for 40 years so he will most likely make it right for me.I'll look up the info on the battery and go in armed with that info today after work.
Yup that's the best thing you can do, make sure you see it with your own eyes (battery specs) and have the info. If the owners were comfortable they could try to bump start it too, but highly doubt they're gonna want to do that. Guess it depends on how bad they want to get rid of it. Either way it all may give you some good leverage for bartering.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
You can absolutely walk away from it. It won't hurt you for not
You can absolutely walk away from it. It shouldn't affect your credit to be given credit and not use it. Regardless, it can't be worse than paying too much for a bike that won't start and you can't even unload for what you've got financed. Then you're stuck paying for it, running or not. I wouldn't pay more than $5k for it not running. You won't get that much back for it, even if it's running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I know buying a left over doesnt give me much of a leg up on resale compared to price paid. I wasn't planning on selling it. My worries are the fact that I have another credit enquiry. I just refinances the house and that dropped my score a bit. I don't want to take another hit and have the score drop lower and have to settle on a higher rate. I'm going to go have a heart to heart with the local guy. then I will probably end up going elsewhere and that is a 2 hour drive. Or more

·
Registered
33 Posts
Credit inquiries arent that big of a deal. Have you tried jumping the bike and leaving it running while still attached to the jump vehicle? If it runs without issue you know its either the battery or somehow a bad stator/rectified.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Is this a Honda dealer that can't make a brand new (albeit old new stock) Honda run?? WTF!!! Find a new dealer. Of course my experience with the local dealer is they can barely change a tire without f-ing up the motorcycle. Very common for me to spend a couple of hours either tightening bolts or putting stuff back where it belongs after they say they are done. I feel that I pay top dollars to morons to screw it up.
Good luck with the purchase but don't let them make you feel obligated to close if you are getting bad vibes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Couldn't check in over the weekend. They found it to be a bad fuel pump Thursday. They
replaced the pump Saturday and it has been running great. While talking to some of my friends they all said he lost his one true maintenance guy last year. I don't believe I will be useing them for much else. Closest shop is 1.5 hours away. Thanks for everyones support. If anyone is a member of the VTcafe could you ask them to send my email verification so I can post over there. You guys were fantastic.
Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts