Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get the lower fork tubes and final drive case chromed, while the wheels are out being chromed. Numbers are giving me stickershock though; does this seem reasonable:

Remove lower forks; disassemble; reassemble: $150
Chrome lower forks: $300
Remove final drive case; dissasemble; reassemble: $300
Chrome final drive case: $275

Dunno; just wasn't expecting $1025, but maybe it's the going rate? Any feedback appreciated ...

ALTERNATIVELY: getting the forks and case painted wouldn't require complete disassembly; maybe cut the labor way down and could still look pretty kickass. Anyone know good outfit for painting/colormatching??

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'd like to get the lower fork tubes and final drive case chromed, while the wheels are out being chromed. Numbers are giving me stickershock though; does this seem reasonable:

Dunno; just wasn't expecting $1025, but maybe it's the going rate? Any feedback appreciated ...

ALTERNATIVELY: getting the forks and case painted wouldn't require complete disassembly; maybe cut the labor way down and could still look pretty kickass. Anyone know good outfit for painting/colormatching??
Yeah that is about right... you can cut that nearly into half if you are willing to have your bike sit at home apart. I have been looking into having my bike done and the price changes alot it I remove the forks and parts. Also, if you do more parts at once it makes it cheaper as well... atleast when it comes to powder coating. Just another thought to go with. :cool:

·
Premium Member
534 Posts

Stone:
Since the weather is ridiculous in the northeast, I took advantage by dropping my bike off and chroming out some small stuff. I'm doing the lower forks as well as the levers with surrounding housings, kickstand, side license plate, and other small stuff. My lifelong mechanic did not think it was a good idea to remove the final drive and have it chromed. That opinion was reinstated by several others from the shop - I did not second guess them so I did not do it. Maybe before you make that decision, ask around. I also wanted to black powdercoat the piece that is in the inner area of the rotors, forgot the part name. I was told "no way" on that one as well. Removing that piece from the rotors would be unsafe possibly in the futiure as it could become loose. I thought this was kool of them to mention on both the final drive and the inner rotor piece as it saved me $$$ whereas other shops could have just done it to make a quick buck.
Anyhow, the prices you got seem decent for chroming. The assembly or reassembly is a little steep - that is a bit high in my opinion. Good luck with everything!

Larry
New York

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I paid about that. I can provide the exact breakdown from the shop that did all of my stuff but it seems on par with you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Help me out here guys,is the final drive and the hub the same thing or is the final drive in the swingarm,getting rims,calipers and hub chromed soon and just want to be sure I am not getting into a mess.

·
Premium Member
13,741 Posts
Help me out here guys,is the final drive and the hub the same thing or is the final drive in the swingarm,getting rims,calipers and hub chromed soon and just want to be sure I am not getting into a mess.
i dont know what im getting in to either,but theres a lot of green stamps going somewhere.craaap.might as well lmao.cant do anything about it.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Here is the breakdown from my bill and the final drive is the hub part not the under support or swingarm.

1 Caliper Sub assy 175.00 front
1 caliper Sub assy 150.00 rear
2 seal sets, front forks 44.68
1 seal set piston 6.47
1 seal set piston 9.50
1 kickstand 90.00
1 final gear assy 480.00
1 chrome dust guard 150.00
1 torque link 90.00
1 fr wheel axle 20.00
2 l collar front 22.00
1 fr axle bolt 11.00
1 switch/starter 35.00
1 switch/turn sig 35.00
1 master cylinder 135.00
1 bracket/hand lever 40.00
1 holder 12.00
14 hours labor to remove / reinstall @ 79.00 / hr

·
Registered
201 Posts
My dealer told me that it would take about 3 hours to break down and put together the parts that I want to take and get chromed.I was qouted by the Chrome Shop,150 to 180 to chrome the hub,375 per rim,40 for the kickstand,90 per caliper and 90 to polish both rotors.Why did someone say not to chrome the hub even if the dealer is the one doing the work?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Fury I heard a bad story about a place chroming a regular VTX hub and NOT making the adjustments and machining the stuff to compensate for the extra size the chrome adds to the pieces. Supposedly it wouldn't seal completely when reinstalled.

Maybe that is what they meant, I dunno :) I am hoping this is all true because it is why I was told that piece cost so much to do. lol

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fury I heard a bad story about a place chroming a regular VTX hub and NOT making the adjustments and machining the stuff to compensate for the extra size the chrome adds to the pieces. Supposedly it wouldn't seal completely when reinstalled.

Maybe that is what they meant, I dunno :) I am hoping this is all true because it is why I was told that piece cost so much to do. lol
Thanks Snuffdog,gives me something to think about,sounds like a cover might be a good idea if someone is making them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.