Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally made it to the dealer today to check out the chrome wheels I ordered, which just came in but aren't on the bike yet. Pretty good in some ways, but something concerned me also. Took some pics as I've come to rely heavily on 2nd opinions from this group so I'd like y'all to take a look and tell me what ya think. Any/all opinions good or bad please sing out:

P.S. crappy photo's ... don't know why. got a new digital camera that's programmed to do everything but shoot clear pics. Or else the operator's an idiot, I dunno ... :D I'll be at the dealer again Monday; gonna try for some pics with greater clarity but this has to do it for now :(

Attachments

· Registered
1,799 Posts
I dont see anything wrong. Am I supposed to?:confused:

There was a thread a while back about wheel weights for balancing. I would find out what the installer has planned for balancing. I woulndt want anything stuck to the outside of the rims.

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I think they look CRAPPY. Send them to me and I'll sacrifice my OEM's back to you! :p

Look very nice & I don't see any problems from the pics. Do You?

· Premium Member
4,474 Posts
I don't think you are going to see and appreciate the true beauty of these chrome rims until you actually see them mounted on your bike. I think once mounted on the bike you are going to find your first visual filled with a shock of surprise and excitement. I have the same ones and to me it was like night and day difference and I can not image the bike without them now. It was for sure the best upgrade I have done to the bike. You gonna love them. Congratulations and **** luck.

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are you seeing that the photos don't seem to show?
I had two concerns that aren't immediately obvious: one, the minor concern, is a couple small yellowish .. stains I guess .. which the dealer said would probably buff out but I'm not so certain. you can see one of them at the base of the spoke in the one o'clock position in the last thumbnail on the right. the other one the pic didn't turn out but it's similar only a little longer. Just wanted to see if they were obvious to anyone else.

the 2nd, and more important, is I had the idea, not sure why, that that center ridge or rim would be ground or shaved away, and that the surface between spokes would be flat and even. that raised rim bugs me. although when I got home I looked up a bunch of bikes on this forum with chromed wheels and they all had it and I never noticed and thought they all looked great, so maybe I was being to fussy. dunno; I had it in my head for some reason that ridge was supposed to be shaved away.

I liken it somewhat to the rim along the edge of many honda fuel tanks, which always make a bike look kinda cheap imho - not saying the wheel rim is as bad but it just bugged me; still does somehow.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
well if you paid for it and your not satisfied nd the dealer said it can be buffed out make them eat there words, tell them to fix it, should have some type of guarrentee , I would make them redo them, sorry MHO, if you can notice the blemish it will always stand out to you and will be something you always second guess,,take them back.

· Registered
434 Posts
hmmm... I'm not seeing the "yellowish stain" in the pics. But I would try buffing it out before you take ownership of them if its that noticeable and bothers you that much. The "ridge" between spoke, I think, is just you.;) Doesn't bother me. I've never noticed it on other peoples chrome wheels.

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
What kind of price are we talking to do this job, can you trade stock rims for new dipped ones? if so can you get a different pair if your not happy?
Most places that have wheel (core) exchange programs don't actually have fury wheels in stock to trade, although some may by now. None did last summer when I looked. I sent my wheels to the chromer for this set; price was in the $850 range, which is borderline too high but he includes a five year warranty, which is the best I've found in the business.

the best price I found for straight chrome service was Classic Components in SoCal I believe; several guys here used them and are very happy with them and work looks great; standard 2 year warranty. You'd have to check the price but I wanna say in the $660 range. Check though; I can't swear to that.

I personally was unhappy with the service I received from Chrome Pro's and returned the wheels I got from them, but some others here have used them and are apparently happy with the work. Standard 2 year warranty; price was average; not cheapest not most expensive.

Performance Edge in Akron Ohio markets the most beautiful chrome wheels I've seen on the net (haven't seen them in person); they call it "wet look" and they DO look beautiful. But they're expensive, right near 1k and only a 1 year warranty so I went elsewhere. But on the phone they sounded like a great bunch of people to deal with.

Those are the only one's I've any personal contact/experience with, although Stumpwerx just showed a photo in another post this thread (bling rings) of a set that looked *really* first rate: good price, around $730 or so if I remember right; for an extra $300 he'll shave down that center rim, according to his website. 1 year warranty.

· Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Read up on chrome... might help out... Introduction to Chrome Plating

If you see something, don't matter how minor, it is always the manufacture's fault...! Wipe it clean to make sure it is not you, read what I just posted cause it is not a cleaning material that caused the blemish and get back with us...

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Read up on chrome... might help out... Introduction to Chrome Plating

If you see something, don't matter how minor, it is always the manufacture's fault...! Wipe it clean to make sure it is not you, read what I just posted cause it is not a cleaning material that caused the blemish and get back with us...
Informative article Red; thx. Apparently, a yellowish blemish would be an area where the chrome didn't adhere to the nickel underneath, if I'm reading the article right:

When you look at a decorative chrome plated surface, such as a chrome plated wheel or truck bumper, most of what you are seeing is actually the effects of the nickel plating. The chrome adds a bluish cast (compared to the somewhat yellowish cast of nickel), protects the nickel against tarnish, minimizes scratching, and symbiotically contributes to corrosion resistance. But the point is, without the brilliant leveled nickel undercoating, you would not have a reflective, decorative surface.
Not sure what if anything it means I ought to do about it; have to give it some further thought I guess.

· Registered
494 Posts
the 2nd, and more important, is I had the idea, not sure why, that that center ridge or rim would be ground or shaved away, and that the surface between spokes would be flat and even. that raised rim bugs me. although when I got home I looked up a bunch of bikes on this forum with chromed wheels and they all had it and I never noticed and thought they all looked great, so maybe I was being to fussy. dunno; I had it in my head for some reason that ridge was supposed to be shaved away.

Removal of the ridge is by request and cost additional $$$ for the labor. If you didn't ask for it I don't see anything wrong.

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Removal of the ridge is by request and cost additional $$$ for the labor. If you didn't ask for it I don't see anything wrong.
yah, I hear ya. I must've seen some closeup pics of a set with the ridge removed, and made the (incorrect) assumption is was standard procedure. And since you can't really see it without looking from more than a short distance away, I never noticed from the online pics that the ridge was there on most of the guys bikes who posted here and thought they looked great regardless.

My main concern was that I had paid for something I hadn't received; which is a different issue altogether.

· Premium Member
4,474 Posts
Stonewheel, I don't think we are seeing what you are in the photos but if your seeing something up close first hand of concern I would definitely address it with whoever did the work and get it straighten out now before you go any further or it will be one of those things that will be forever something in the back back of your mind.

· Premium Member
6,715 Posts
I saw his wheels yesterday and know what he is talking about. I agree with Dave, contact the company that did them and see what they have to say. You spent a lot of money for them and to have those stains and it's unacceptable. I agree that most people would never notice them. It would probably bug me every time I looked at the wheels knowing they were there.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.